Toronto/Houston/Lakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto/Houston/Lakers

Like several people around here, I can't seem to get away from the idea of Calderon on the Lakers due to their desperate need for a PG. But the only way in which the Lakers can do that is either sending out crap contracts or trading a key piece from their team. Lakers were willing to send out Pau Gasol in the failed Chris Paul trade. I am in no way saying that Calderon is anywhere close to Paul, but let's try to build off of that idea.

Toronto Trades: Jose Calderon
    Toronto Receives: Darius Morris, Andrew Goudelock, and 2012 Knicks First Round Pick

Houston Trades: Kevin Martin, Louis Scola, and 2012 Knicks First Round Pick
    Houston Receives: Pau Gasol

Lakers Trade: Pau Gasol, Darius Morris, and Andrew Goudelock
    Lakers Receive: Jose Calderon, Kevin Martin, Louis Scola (Scola fits TPE)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=8ayxhrd

Why for Houston:

We already know that Houston is willing to give up these pieces in order to get Pau Gasol. They view Gasol as the answer to their star big man search to replace Yao Ming.

Why for Lakers:

Lakers trade Gasol in order to gain three different assets. Scola can take on Gasol's minutes at PF, Martin gives them extra offense off the bench (which is why we were thinking Barbosa here), and Calderon gives them a capable PG. By trading Gasol they strengthen their team for a run this year, as well as add some pieces that can fit with Kobe and Bynum for a run next year as well.

Why for Toronto:

We make out like bandits in this trade. We turn Calderon into two young prospects and what looks like it could be a good draft pick. I think here the Raptors are getting way more value for Calderon then what he is worth, but I can't help but think that both the Lakers and Rockets are getting the value that they desire as well. Raptors go further into the tank this year but add assets and cap space for the future. It may be more realistic for the Raptors to receive one of the Lakers First Round Picks rather then the Knicks pick from Houston.

Thoughts?
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

I like the trade for Toronto (although doubt we get Goudelock in the deal he would be awesome), could work for the Lakers, and Houston gives up less than they were already offering for Gasol previously.

Comment

I would tweak the earlier trade to send Jose Calderon to Houston instead to join his spanish compatriot. Houston sends Kyle Lowry and Kevin martin to lakers. Toronto receives Thabeet and Dragic. Sends Amir Johnson to Lakers for TPE.

Houston get their pieces to rebuild.
      Toronto gets two great prospects.
      Lakers admittely come out losers. They do get a draft pick from Houston. guard situation sorted out. Use TPE on a PF who can do very well there.

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=6wd7hbm
      Last edited by draftedraptor; Tue Feb 7, 2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
        I would tweak the earlier trade to send Jose Calderon to Houston instead to join his spanish compatriot. Houston sends Kyle Lowry and Kevin martin to lakers. Toronto receives Thabeet and Dragic. Sends Amir Johnson to Lakers for TPE.

Houston get their pieces to rebuild.
        Toronto gets two great prospects.
        Lakers admittely come out losers. They do get a draft pick from Houston. guard situation sorted out. Use TPE on a PF who can do very well there.

Link: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=6wd7hbm
        How do the Lakers come out losers? Lowry is a huge gain for them, Martin and Kobe could play together on the wings and sub each other out, it solves a lot of prOblems for them.

I would not consider Thabeet a solid prospect but if the Raptors get picks in your scenario then it could work for Toronto.

Comment

I think you are underestimating Pau's value who is a serial all star performer and has playofff experience. you need to give a lot to get him. Lakers are not rebuilding and losing Pau will be a bitter blow to them. I am not sure Kevin Martin can ever be an all star with his inconsistency and limited game.Kyle lowry is very attractive though. The draft pick to Lakers would be the make/break in this deal. Houston can play hardball with a second round pick but I dont think anything less than first rounder will move Pau.

I would consider Calderon for Thabeet and Dragic quite fair for Toronto. Thabeet is a genuine big man prospect who will be seeing more minutes than Alabi even with Jonas coming in next year. Dragic can be quite a handful and we can sign him up long term on a cheap. Houston are not going to offer any more draft picks. With Thabeet, Jonas, Ed, Bargnani and some veteran free agent we do not need another big to eat up our cap space. I would rather get the lakers TPE than using the amnesty on Amir.

Comment

Working...
          X