No announcement yet.

What are we likely to get for Barbosa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are we likely to get for Barbosa?

If you look at the 16 teams currently in the playoff picture who really needs or can take on his contract? What would you get in return?

Western Conference:

Oklahoma City - James Harden is lights out in the 6th man role
    L.A. Clippers - Mo Williams is averaging 16pts and 6assists in the sixth man role...so no improvement here.
    San Antonio - possible since Ginobli went down for the season (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Denver - Extremely deep team, signed a lot of contracts recently...aiming to resign Wilson Chandler...no room here
    Utah - punching way above their weight - might be further ahead developing rookies (1st round exit is likely)
    Portland - Jamal Crawford... not needed here
    L.A. Lakers - Likely - they desperately lack bench scoring and are even considering Gilbert Arenas (desperate much?)
    Dallas - has Jason Terry/Vince Carter (not needed here)

Eastern Conference:
    Chicago: Could be a good landing spot for him - Insurance for injury prone Richard Hamilton
    Miami: The have Battier/Miller/Jones - they gain nothing by adding Barbosa
    Philadelphia: Lou Williams is excelling in the sixth man role at a lot less money per year (for now)
    Indiana: Would distract from their long term plans...they aren't getting past the second round anyway
    Atlanta: They cut loose of Jamal Crawford and signed TMAC...can't see them picking up Babs
    Orlando: JJ Redick/J Richardson doubtful
    Boston: In desperate need of scoring off the bench. Could land here
    Milwaukee: Bogut wen't down this could be a tough year for them. Not expecting much here.

That leaves likely teams that want an expiring contract, in which we would have to take back Salary or a TPE (not likely as the contract comes off the books anyways or we resign him ourselves (which was hinted by BC not too long ago)

By my guestemating that leaves LAL Boston and Chicago as likely landing spots. What do we get for him?
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

LAL also seems the only likely destination for Jose Calderon as well...they have a TPE from the Odom trade that covers most of the Calderon contract
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      If you look at the 16 teams currently in the playoff picture who really needs or can take on his contract? What would you get in return?

Western Conference:

L.A. Clippers - Mo Williams is averaging 16pts and 6assists in the sixth man role...so no improvement here.
      San Antonio - possible since Ginobli went down for the season (correct me if I'm wrong)
      Denver - Extremely deep team, signed a lot of contracts recently...aiming to resign Wilson Chandler...no room here
      Utah - punching way above their weight - might be further ahead developing rookies (1st round exit is likely)
      L.A. Lakers - Likely - they desperately lack bench scoring and are even considering Gilbert Arenas (desperate much?)

Eastern Conference:
      Chicago: Could be a good landing spot for him - Insurance for injury prone Richard Hamilton
      Philadelphia: Lou Williams is excelling in the sixth man role at a lot less money per year (for now)
      Indiana: Would distract from their long term plans...they aren't getting past the second round anyway
      Atlanta: They cut loose of Jamal Crawford and signed TMAC...can't see them picking up Babs
      Milwaukee: Bogut wen't down this could be a tough year for them. Not expecting much here.

That leaves likely teams that want an expiring contract, in which we would have to take back Salary or a TPE (not likely as the contract comes off the books anyways or we resign him ourselves (which was hinted by BC not too long ago)

By my guestemating that leaves LAL Boston and Chicago as likely landing spots. What do we get for him?
      we'll see when we trade him.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Western Conference:

Eastern Conference:

I have been thinking of this for a while. I like the idea of Atlanta, even though they have TMAC - they don't really have much depth on their bench. But you also have to consider teams on the outskirts like Houston, Memphis, Minnesota, or even Cleveland.

I came up with a 4 team trade in my head a few minutes ago that could work (should probably put this in the trade forum, but what the heck):

Toronto/Milwaukee/Houston/SA:
        http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7bhzgng

Toronto gets Dragic, Thabeet and a pick (preferably Milwaukee's)
        Milwaukee gets Barbosa
        Houston gets RJefferson
        SA gets SJax.

Milwaukee is basically benching SJax. They need to find a team that can handle his nuances. I think a veteran team like SA would work, especially since Ginobili is injured. In return Milwaukee gets to shed one year of a contract and gets added depth for their back court to try and get that 8th spot. Houston is losing a guy who got no minutes in Thabeet, but they also don't really have much time for Dragic who's bench play can be replaced with Flynn. They have been using Parsons as their SF and could use RJ's depth there. RJ may just need an environment where he doesn't have to work or try so hard. And so this could be to Houston's advantage who are trying to get into the playoffs. Toronto gets two players who both expire at the end of this year (Dragic can be re-upped and Thabeet can be waived), and we get a pick. The pick can really come from any of those teams, but Milwaukee's should be the best. We don't get cap space this year, but we'll have the same amount of cap space in the summer. This in my opinion is a win-win-win-win.

I think Bryan just needs to be creative. If he gets involved in a 2-way or 3-way trade, then I think Barbosa could easily be added to help one of the teams out. I think once Howard is traded, the proper domino will fall, and then we'll see where Barbosa will end up.

Comment

LAL also seems the only likely destination for Jose Calderon as well...they have a TPE from the Odom trade that covers most of the Calderon contract
          LA cannot use the TPE on Calderon. The TPE can only be traded for players less than or equal to the TPE value. Since Calderon's salary is greater than LA's TPE it will not work. You cannot combine the TPE with other players either.

That TPE would work on Barbosa though.

Comment

Gift certificates for 2 to the Copacabana Restaurant.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Not as much as we'd like. A future pick 1st, protected as possible would be great, something that shows up in 3 - 5 years. Preferably the Lakers, would could be on a short downswing by the time the protections come off. I'd take on Luke Walton to make it work.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                Gift certificates for 2 to the Copacabana Restaurant.
                Went there a few months ago...Nice restaurant

Comment

Went there a few months ago...Nice restaurant
                  So now, you real understand Barbosa's value
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

borbosa to la for tpe and then tpe to denver for chandler...but with restricted free agents i am not sure if they have the 2 month waiting period before they can be moved in which case it is useless because sign and trades can only happen in the off season.

question..if we hypothetically did get the 6 million tpe can it be traded as cash for picks, for example 3 million to someone for late 1st rounder and 3 million to someone else for a late first rounder? or does it have to be a player that is taken back?

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      borbosa to la for tpe and then tpe to denver for chandler...but with restricted free agents i am not sure if they have the 2 month waiting period before they can be moved in which case it is useless because sign and trades can only happen in the off season.

question..if we hypothetically did get the 6 million tpe can it be traded as cash for picks, for example 3 million to someone for late 1st rounder and 3 million to someone else for a late first rounder? or does it have to be a player that is taken back?

sorry wanted to add to my previous thought. can the tpe be used on draft day for picks, like when we selected hibbert for indi? as first round selection prices are laid out can we trade the picks to another team and have them use their mouths for us?

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post

Sign and trades cannot be done after March 1st. Denver's qualifying offer is also rescinded as of March 1st.

TPE can only absorb the contract of a player. Teams don't need any exception to send up to $3M in any transaction but they only have $3M cash to use for the entire year. Because picks have no impact on the salary cap, players don't need to be involved in a trade involving a pick. Draft night is when you see teams trade picks for cash.

Comment

Ginobili's supposed to be back by the end of the month. But I could still see Barbosa working in San Antonio. They don't really have that offensive sparkplug off the bench, unless you count Matt Bonner, lol.

Comment

I want to see an expiring contract plus a 1st rounder coming this way for Barbosa.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Sign and trades cannot be done after March 1st. Denver's qualifying offer is also rescinded as of March 1st.

TPE can only absorb the contract of a player. Teams don't need any exception to send up to $3M in any transaction but they only have $3M cash to use for the entire year. Because picks have no impact on the salary cap, players don't need to be involved in a trade involving a pick. Draft night is when you see teams trade picks for cash.
                              I've been wondering about the TPE, compared to standard trades. I am hoping you or somebody else can help clarify.

When trading Calderon for a player(s) you have to apply his 10% trade-kicker, then the formula for figuring out how much salary needs to come back as a minimum is essentially: [(salary + 10%) - 100,000]/1.25. The reason for this is that the team trading for him can take a max salary back of what they send out + 25%, then + $100,000 (the formula is just working backwards).

So, given Calderon's contract of approx. $9.781M, the Raptors need to take back a minimum of $8.527M, to balance the salaries. Formula: [(9.781*1.1)-0.1]/1.25 = $8.527 approximately.

If TPE can be applied the same way as player salaries, then the Lakers' TPE would be sufficient ($8.900M). Or does a different formula apply to TPE-based trades?

Comment

Working...
                              X