Raptors weigh plusses of Drafting a Homegrown Talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stretch wrote: View Post
    Rivers did a little better in Chapel Hill than Myck this season. He dropped 29 points and the game winner at the buzzer on the Tar Heels while Kabongo had a sore back for the UNC Texas game. That was the game coach Barnes called Myck out for not running plays. If they are in the same draft there's no way MK gets drafted before AR.
    With 2 assists ... which brings us back to our point of, is Rivers even a PG in the NBA?

Comment

Naw. Rivers is more of a 2 than anything. He can play the point, but he's not a very good point guard. Think OJ Mayo..

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        I think the potential is there to get someone of that level, maybe more polished depending on where they select. We have to remember that Bosh was very limited on offense coming out of college at 18. His great scoring ability and consistency was due to a whole lot of hard work.
        if we get some as good as or better than bosh then we'll easily end up being a top 5 team in the east for years to come. Lets just hope we get someone of that calibre

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          if we get some as good as or better than bosh then we'll easily end up being a top 5 team in the east for years to come. Lets just hope we get someone of that calibre
          Bosh didn't reach that "superstar" status until his 3rd season. So even if we do draft someone of Bosh's calibre, it could be a few years before we even know it.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Naw. Rivers is more of a 2 than anything. He can play the point, but he's not a very good point guard. Think OJ Mayo..
            Mayo is a good one actually.
            I had Bayless in mind, except Rivers numbers aren't close to being on Par with Bayless. (And even further from Mayo, haha)

Bayless managed 4 assists per game in College, which is actually quite good.
            Mayo had 3 per game, which for someone who shot as much as Mayo, is VERY impressive.
            Even Jrue Holiday (who strictly played SG in College) managed almost 4 assists per.

Then theres Rivers with about 2 per.

Kabongo is at least trending toward numbers that point to him being a true PG candidate.
            Surround him with some real talent (like Kendall Marshall) and I bet Kabongos stats are much improved.
            Last edited by Joey; Thu Feb 9, 2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Bosh didn't reach that "superstar" status until his 3rd season. So even if we do draft someone of Bosh's calibre, it could be a few years before we even know it.
              not really in his first and second seasons he put up pretty amazing numbers especially in rebounds. I was hoping Ed Davis will become like bosh but he can't score for shit.

Comment

Would you guys consider a Tristan Thompson for Ed Davis trade, straight up?

Both are having similar years, with similar builds, but Tristan offers the Canadian Content.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Both are having similar years, with similar builds, but Tristan offers the Canadian Content.
                  And he is 3 years younger.

I would take that trade in a heartbeat regardless of place of birth.

*EDIT* My bad, he is 1 year younger and now that is not a heartbeat trade. I think I'd stick with ED.

*EDIT2* Ugh. I am having difficulty thinking this afternoon. There is a 1 year, 9 month spread - so lets say 2 years. It would be an interesting thought but I don't think Cleveland is letting him go due to the bond/friendship he and Kyrie had before getting drafted together by the Cavs. But, hypothetically if it were an option, I might refer to the Magic 8-ball.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Feb 10, 2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I was thinking about that one actually when you posted this thread... I would have taken TT over ED if they were in the same draft class - but after developing Ed for about a year and a half, I'll stick with Ed.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      And he is 3 years younger.

I would take that trade in a heartbeat regardless of place of birth.

*EDIT* My bad, he is 1 year younger and now that is not a heartbeat trade. I think I'd stick with ED.

*EDIT2* Ugh. I am having difficulty thinking this afternoon. There is a 1 year, 9 month spread - so lets say 2 years. It would be an interesting thought but I don't think Cleveland is letting him go due to the bond/friendship he and Kyrie had before getting drafted together by the Cavs. But, hypothetically if it were an option, I might refer to the Magic 8-ball.
                      Hahah That was fun to read. I could hear the 'face-palm' after the second realization.

Ya I don't think its an obvious trade for either side, but I think its possibly a trade both might consider.
                      I wasn't aware of a strong friendship between Thompson and Irving prior to draftday, but that could speak to why they chose him to begin with. Interesting.

I don't think Thompson would be able to guard many Centers in the League, quite as well as Davis (though Davis hasn't shown to be a standout himself yet) with his current stature, but I think Thompson brings a bit more Energy in his play, which is something the Raptors have been lacking since losing Reggie I find.

Comment

Anthony Bennett is a homegrown talent worth mentioning as a potential lottery pick in 2013. Built like a rock and has range out to the 3 point line, Bennett might be teaming up with Shabazz Muhammed and Khem Birch at UNLV next season.

Source: http://www.lostlettermen.com/2-9-201...cruiting-unlv/

Anthony Bennett – not the famous crooner, whose real name is Anthony Benedetto, for the record – is from Canada and stars at Nevada’s Findlay Prep, but it’s unclear where he’s going to go from there.However, last month, Bennett narrowed his choices down to UNLV, Kentucky, Florida, Oregon and Washington.

“I feel like I’ve taken a step forward in my recruiting process,” Bennett told ESPN.com in January. “I plan on making my decision in April after going on my visits.The pressure now has been lifted because I can now deal with just these five schools and watch the teams play and the coaches coach their teams.”

Well, there is no longer pressure on his end. But those who are chasing Bennett – the No. 7 overall player in the class of 2012 and the fourth-best power forward – still are feeling the heat.

Comment

Geezus. That guy almost looked like Nathan Jawai playing as Shawn Kemp! haha

At 6'7" he's under sized, but at 235lbs and built the way he is, he could push guys around no problem. Very intrigueing prospect.

I'm really quite excited about what Grassroots Canada has been able to produce in terms of getting these kids to realize that just because they're from Canada, doesn't mean they can't compete with the best in the world.
                          In fact, BECAUSE they are from Canada, they SHOULD be able to compete with the best in the world.

Comment

Bennett reminds me of Larry Johnson because of his build and he can shoot.

Comment

I watched more than half of the Cleveland games and I there is no way I would offer Tristan Thompson for Ed Davis straight up based on what I have seen so far.

I believe Ed Davis will turn out to be a fine player but there are moments every few games when you see Tigger do something and wonder what will be his limit if he can do that on a regular basis. I would not be surprised if he averages 17 points, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks in 3 years in addition to being an excellent man on man and help defender. The Cleveland fans were greatly disappointed when he was picked but after seeing a few of the plays he made, they are very excitted about his future.

A fun player to watch except when he tries to go up against three defenders.

His passing skills are even worse than his free throw shooting skills.

Comment

Andrew wiggins is really skinny

Comment

Working...
                                X