Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Bayless to LAC to replace Billups

  1. #1
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bayless to LAC to replace Billups

    Billups was a PG playing the SG position, providing defense and scoring for the Clippers. I initially was thinking that LAC might like to get Barbosa, but it would be hard to make the salaries match with any realistic deal. Given that Bayless is proving to be a capable Jason Terry type of player, it got me thinking that the Clippers might like him for one, possibly more years.

    The trade would work like this (and works on the ESPN Trade Machine):
    TO LAC - Bayless (1 yr @ $3.04M, + $4M QO)
    TO TOR - TPE for Bayless + Bledsoe (3 yrs @ $1.6M)

    Toronto would acquire a young, decent PG (drafted 18th overall in 2010) that would fit the rebuild. The Raps would potentially address their long-term PG situation (Bledsoe might get a year to learn behind Calderon, if the Raps don't trade him) and be able to address another position with their top lottery pick (ie: SF).

    LAC would get a sparkplug off the bench who could play either guard position, as a temporary replacement for Billups. Plus, it would give LAC PG depth to explore trade options for Mo Williams. Who knows, they may even end up keeping Bayless beyond this season if they see fit, or they could extend him and then use him as a trade chip next season. As for Bledsoe, he's essentially 4th on their PG depth chart (3rd without Billups or with Billups playing SG), but stuck for the long-term behind some guy name Chris Paul.

    I haven't heard any rumors, but it seems to address needs by both teams without trading any essential pieces from either team... seems to be a true win-win. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts...
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Feb 8th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think the Clippers would be open to moving Bledsoe, but I don't think they would be interested in Bayless. It is true that Bayless is able to fill the SG role that was left empty by the injury to Billups, but my thought is that the Clippers would be looking a more veteran player.

    I would really like to see what Bledsoe can do though. He is a promising young PG who could turn into a very good player. He would fill our PG need much better then Bayless does.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i like the idea of bledsoe with us. i think that the clips are happy with williams right now though and i agree with shantz that they will want a vet to replace billups' leadership

  4. #4
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have another version, this time a 3-team trade involving the Lakers as well.

    ESPN Trade Machine link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7lgkgl7

    Lakers
    - get Mo Williams for their bench, for their 1st round pick

    Clippers
    - replace Mo "I wanna be the man" Williams and the injured Billups with Barbosa (veteran presence) and Bayless
    - get a 2nd round pick from Toronto

    Raptors
    - Bledsoe replaces Bayless as a younger, cheaper, potentially better and more pass-first oriented PG of the future
    - get Lakers' 1st round pick (for Barbosa & their 2nd round pick, essentially)
    - would also get the $8.5M TPE generated by the Lakers to match Mo Williams
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Feb 9th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I have another version, this time a 3-team trade involving the Lakers as well.

    ESPN Trade Machine link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7lgkgl7

    Lakers
    - get Mo Williams for their bench, for their 1st round pick

    Clippers
    - replace Mo "I wanna be the man" Williams and the injured Billups with Barbosa (veteran presence) and Bayless
    - get a 2nd round pick from Toronto

    Raptors
    - Bledsoe replaces Bayless as a younger, cheaper, potentially better and more pass-first oriented PG of the future
    - get Lakers' 1st round pick (for Barbosa & their 2nd round pick, essentially)
    - would also get the $8.5M TPE generated by the Lakers to match Mo Williams
    I'm not high on Bayless, but I'm not really that high on Bledsoe either. I think Bledsoe is another one of those combo guards. Too small to be a SG, but not really a PG either.

    In college he was the off guard to Wall, so never really had the opportunity to pass the ball. In LAC he didn't really get enough minutes to show what he had. I like the idea of getting someone cheaper, but I'd look for someone other than Bledsoe to take over our starting PG duties in the future.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm not high on Bayless, but I'm not really that high on Bledsoe either. I think Bledsoe is another one of those combo guards. Too small to be a SG, but not really a PG either.

    In college he was the off guard to Wall, so never really had the opportunity to pass the ball. In LAC he didn't really get enough minutes to show what he had. I like the idea of getting someone cheaper, but I'd look for someone other than Bledsoe to take over our starting PG duties in the future.
    Fair enough. For me, even the idea of getting a late 1st round pick & an $8.5M TPE in return for Barbosa & Bayless, would be a trade that would make me happy.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,737
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like both trades.

    Bledsoe can certainly run a team better than Bayless.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The trade would work like this (and works on the ESPN Trade Machine):
    TO LAC - Bayless (1 yr @ $3.04M, + $4M QO)
    TO TOR - TPE for Bayless + Bledsoe (3 yrs @ $1.6M)
    Unless the Clippers believe Bayless can be the difference maker this year, I do not see why they would show any interest in this trade.

    Trading a cheap PG whose usefulness (or uselessness) is yet to be determined for an expiring combo guard who is not worth the qualifying offer is not a good move in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Unless the Clippers believe Bayless can be the difference maker this year, I do not see why they would show any interest in this trade.

    Trading a cheap PG whose usefulness (or uselessness) is yet to be determined for an expiring combo guard who is not worth the qualifying offer is not a good move in my opinion.
    +1

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •