Bayless to LAC to replace Billups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bayless to LAC to replace Billups

Billups was a PG playing the SG position, providing defense and scoring for the Clippers. I initially was thinking that LAC might like to get Barbosa, but it would be hard to make the salaries match with any realistic deal. Given that Bayless is proving to be a capable Jason Terry type of player, it got me thinking that the Clippers might like him for one, possibly more years.

The trade would work like this (and works on the ESPN Trade Machine):
    TO LAC - Bayless (1 yr @ $3.04M, + $4M QO)
    TO TOR - TPE for Bayless + Bledsoe (3 yrs @ $1.6M)

Toronto would acquire a young, decent PG (drafted 18th overall in 2010) that would fit the rebuild. The Raps would potentially address their long-term PG situation (Bledsoe might get a year to learn behind Calderon, if the Raps don't trade him) and be able to address another position with their top lottery pick (ie: SF).

LAC would get a sparkplug off the bench who could play either guard position, as a temporary replacement for Billups. Plus, it would give LAC PG depth to explore trade options for Mo Williams. Who knows, they may even end up keeping Bayless beyond this season if they see fit, or they could extend him and then use him as a trade chip next season. As for Bledsoe, he's essentially 4th on their PG depth chart (3rd without Billups or with Billups playing SG), but stuck for the long-term behind some guy name Chris Paul.

I haven't heard any rumors, but it seems to address needs by both teams without trading any essential pieces from either team... seems to be a true win-win. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts...
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Feb 8, 2012, 06:14 PM.

I think the Clippers would be open to moving Bledsoe, but I don't think they would be interested in Bayless. It is true that Bayless is able to fill the SG role that was left empty by the injury to Billups, but my thought is that the Clippers would be looking a more veteran player.

I would really like to see what Bledsoe can do though. He is a promising young PG who could turn into a very good player. He would fill our PG need much better then Bayless does.
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

i like the idea of bledsoe with us. i think that the clips are happy with williams right now though and i agree with shantz that they will want a vet to replace billups' leadership

Comment

I have another version, this time a 3-team trade involving the Lakers as well.

ESPN Trade Machine link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7lgkgl7

Lakers
        - get Mo Williams for their bench, for their 1st round pick

Clippers
        - replace Mo "I wanna be the man" Williams and the injured Billups with Barbosa (veteran presence) and Bayless
        - get a 2nd round pick from Toronto

Raptors
        - Bledsoe replaces Bayless as a younger, cheaper, potentially better and more pass-first oriented PG of the future
        - get Lakers' 1st round pick (for Barbosa & their 2nd round pick, essentially)
        - would also get the $8.5M TPE generated by the Lakers to match Mo Williams
        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Feb 9, 2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I have another version, this time a 3-team trade involving the Lakers as well.

ESPN Trade Machine link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7lgkgl7

Lakers
          - get Mo Williams for their bench, for their 1st round pick

Clippers
          - replace Mo "I wanna be the man" Williams and the injured Billups with Barbosa (veteran presence) and Bayless
          - get a 2nd round pick from Toronto

Raptors
          - Bledsoe replaces Bayless as a younger, cheaper, potentially better and more pass-first oriented PG of the future
          - get Lakers' 1st round pick (for Barbosa & their 2nd round pick, essentially)
          - would also get the $8.5M TPE generated by the Lakers to match Mo Williams
          I'm not high on Bayless, but I'm not really that high on Bledsoe either. I think Bledsoe is another one of those combo guards. Too small to be a SG, but not really a PG either.

In college he was the off guard to Wall, so never really had the opportunity to pass the ball. In LAC he didn't really get enough minutes to show what he had. I like the idea of getting someone cheaper, but I'd look for someone other than Bledsoe to take over our starting PG duties in the future.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            I'm not high on Bayless, but I'm not really that high on Bledsoe either. I think Bledsoe is another one of those combo guards. Too small to be a SG, but not really a PG either.

In college he was the off guard to Wall, so never really had the opportunity to pass the ball. In LAC he didn't really get enough minutes to show what he had. I like the idea of getting someone cheaper, but I'd look for someone other than Bledsoe to take over our starting PG duties in the future.
            Fair enough. For me, even the idea of getting a late 1st round pick & an $8.5M TPE in return for Barbosa & Bayless, would be a trade that would make me happy.

Comment

I like both trades.

Bledsoe can certainly run a team better than Bayless.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                The trade would work like this (and works on the ESPN Trade Machine):
                TO LAC - Bayless (1 yr @ $3.04M, + $4M QO)
                TO TOR - TPE for Bayless + Bledsoe (3 yrs @ $1.6M)
                Unless the Clippers believe Bayless can be the difference maker this year, I do not see why they would show any interest in this trade.

Trading a cheap PG whose usefulness (or uselessness) is yet to be determined for an expiring combo guard who is not worth the qualifying offer is not a good move in my opinion.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                  Unless the Clippers believe Bayless can be the difference maker this year, I do not see why they would show any interest in this trade.

Trading a cheap PG whose usefulness (or uselessness) is yet to be determined for an expiring combo guard who is not worth the qualifying offer is not a good move in my opinion.
                  +1

Comment

Working...
                  X