Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: playing to our strengths.......

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default playing to our strengths.......

    you know how Miami,New York, Los Angeles are the hotspots for young black Americans that predominantly make up the nba.........


    why doesn't Toronto make more of an effort to cater specifically to international players? if we focus on making it the most attractive place for them to play it seems that we would have our pick at them, even when international players asked to get traded they'll want to come to Toronto...............

    one idea, could be to directly appeal to their culture, ie. make a video full of all the lithuanian raptor fans excited to see Jonas play for the raptors, throw in some beautiful eastern european girls etc.


    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd prefer we show them a video of Hedo Turkoglu leaving at halftime so he can go party in Yorkville.

    Come party in Toronto!! Playing is optional.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What rock did you just crawl out from under? Toronto is already known for having a great multicultural community. Data released by Statistics Canada as part of the 2006 census indicates that Toronto is more ethnically diverse than Miami, Los Angeles, and New York City. 49.9% of Toronto's population is foreign-born.

    The organization does a fine job of selling the city's advantages to all NBA players, both African American and foreign born.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Does the organization do a fine job of selling the city's advantages to Caucasian American? Me cry foul.

  5. #5
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ... Wasn't Colangelo first phase in Toronto all about capitalizing on bringing in International players? It got so bad that people in the media just assumed that if there was a foreign player in free agency or on the block or in the draft that the Raptors were one of the primary suitors.

    Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I'd prefer we show them a video of Hedo Turkoglu leaving at halftime so he can go party in Yorkville.

    Come party in Toronto!! Playing is optional.


    Ball.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    you know how Miami,New York, Los Angeles are the hotspots for young black Americans that predominantly make up the nba.........


    why doesn't Toronto make more of an effort to cater specifically to international players? if we focus on making it the most attractive place for them to play it seems that we would have our pick at them, even when international players asked to get traded they'll want to come to Toronto...............

    one idea, could be to directly appeal to their culture, ie. make a video full of all the lithuanian raptor fans excited to see Jonas play for the raptors, throw in some beautiful eastern european girls etc.


    thoughts?
    When BC first joined the Raptors and signed players like Parker and Garbo, we were known around the league as the "Euraptors" and were widely criticized with being too soft and too culturally distant to attract the typical american street baller type of player. BC's gone to great lengths (drafting DeRozan and Davis, trading for Amir and Weems) to try to build a winning team AND overcome this stigma. If you ever read ESPN comments under Raptor-related articles, you realize that a lot of American NBA fans still view the Raptors through those "Euraptor" goggles.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about just get good basketball players and forget where they were born or raised?

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,750
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm with matt. 80% of americans are ignorant anyways why listen to what they think of Toronto or the raptors. Just get whatever players are best suited for the team

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    847
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I'm with matt. 80% of americans are ignorant anyways why listen to what they think of Toronto or the raptors. Just get whatever players are best suited for the team
    I think 100% of americans playing nba ball fall into the the 80% of ignorant americans. They haven't made a career of using their heads and questioning everything, have they? and their opinion, no matter how ignorant it is matters.
    Last edited by akashsingh; Fri Feb 10th, 2012 at 09:59 PM.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Please, lets not bring in cultural or national preferences into what is a nominally simple matter. If the team drafts well, makes trades that complement the roster, have a deep bench and a good coaching staff and front office...then all is well especially when the franchise has no problem spending upto the tax and has a good fan base. Screw NY, LA & Miami. Wonder if OKC has the inferiority complex some of us have?

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie big_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote akashsingh wrote: View Post
    I think 100% of americans playing nba ball fall into the the 80% of ignorant americans. They haven't made a career of using their heads and questioning everything, have they? and their opinion, no matter how ignorant it is matters.
    Isn't this the kind of comment people don't like some Americans for? Bland, sweeping generalizations of an entire group of people?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •