X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• February 12 - Los Angeles Lakers

'Keep Kobe <80 edition'

Here is the ESPN preview:

The Los Angeles Lakers seem to be running out of gas on offense as their longest road trip of the season winds down.

They've rarely had trouble piling up points against the Toronto Raptors.

The Lakers go for an eighth win in nine tries against the Raptors on Sunday in the final stop of a six-game trip.

A night after needing overtime to beat Boston 88-87, Los Angeles (15-12) got off to a listless start against New York on Friday. The Lakers shot 34.2 percent in the first half with Kobe Bryant contributing 10 points on 1-for-6 shooting.

Bryant, the league's scoring leader at 29.4 points per game, finished with 34 but was outplayed by Jeremy Lin in a 92-85 loss. Lin's 38 points helped drop Los Angeles to 4-10 on the road.

"We didn't have the energy to play well," said Bryant, who was 11 of 29 from the field. "We didn't carry it and we seemed very lethargic."

That seemed especially true for Andrew Bynum, who had his worst game of the season offensively with three points on 1-for-8 shooting. The All-Star center also struggled against the Celtics, missing 9 of 15 from the floor to finish with 16 points. He had reached the 20-point mark in each of his previous five games while shooting 64.6 percent.

"I did not shoot really well ... in Boston either," Bynum said. "I am looking forward to practice ... to go hard and try to get my touch back around the rim. I have to be able to stay low."

Bynum isn't the only Laker struggling offensively.

Bryant has hit 38.1 percent from the field during the road trip, while Derek Fisher has combined for 14 points on 6-of-27 shooting in the last four games. Los Angeles has averaged 87.5 points on 39.4 percent shooting while losing three of four.

The Lakers are at 24.4 percent from 3-point range during the road trip, including 2 for 12 by Steve Blake in the past two games after he missed 13 with a rib injury.

A game against the Raptors (9-19) could help the offense find its stride.

The Lakers have won seven of eight in the series while averaging 113.4 points, scoring no fewer than 105 in any of those games. Los Angeles has won the past three meetings and is 24-6 all-time against Toronto.

Pau Gasol, who has posted five straight double-doubles, has averaged 23.8 points in his past six matchups with the Raptors. Bryant has averaged 34.4 in his last 11 against them, a stretch which began with his 81-point outburst Jan. 22, 2006.

Although the Raptors have regularly been run over by the Lakers, they're playing much better defense this season. They're allowing an average of 93.7 points -- 11.7 less than a year ago.

Toronto's defense blanketed Boston early on Friday, limiting the Celtics to 14 first-quarter points in a wire-to-wire 86-74 victory to snap a three-game losing streak.

"I thought our disposition was good," coach Dwane Casey said. "We talk about that a lot, guys coming out playing with confidence, playing with swagger and we did that. That is the growth we want to see."

Building on the victory could be difficult, though, as the Raptors have won back-to-back games on only two occasions this season.

DeMar DeRozan, Toronto's second-leading scorer at 15.0 points per game behind the injured Andrea Bargnani (calf), had another solid performance with 21 points. DeRozan has reached the 20-point mark in three of four games after scoring 11 or fewer in four of his previous five. He averaged 19.0 points against the Lakers last season.

Will Calderon be showcasing himself in this game?

Will DeMar show up again? Give credit where due - he has been playing well of late, at least offensively.

This is tough to watch so far ...

Comment

Who else hopes Calderon and Barbosa have huge games?
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        Well they're the only two actually playing right now, so they better have big games, if we're going to stay in this!

Comment

Not sure if I should keep watching this game...

Comment

Yes... Stay in this...
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Yes... Stay in this...
              Hahah Ya I was going to put that in quotes ...

Comment

I hope they have a big game and that we win.

I also hope the rumor sending Calderon to LA for a late first round pick and a young point guard who is unlikely to become anything more than a backup just dies.

Comment

Yes... Stay in this...
                  I'm trying... but they're not making it easy for me.......

Comment

Oh wow DeMar
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Great finish at the rim for Demar!

Comment

No chat yet? It's 1:50pm lol

Ugly game

Comment

I'd actually say we ARE staying in this ... at least staying competitive.

As I write this: KLEIZA FOR 3!!!

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            I'd actually say we ARE staying in this ... at least staying competitive.

As I write this: KLEIZA FOR 3!!!
                            OMG Calderon has 13 already? Best game ever?

Comment

Demar is making it harder for himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X