No announcement yet.

February 12 - Los Angeles Lakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to say "A great tough loss, one step closer to the lottery." but I can not. I wanted this one. I want to get mad at the refs but what is the point?

Great grit shown by the Raps today, makes me ever so excited to see this play next year when (hopefully) they get the respect they deserve.

Comment

DNP but loses the game for the Raptors. Audacious! I think Butler should finish out his career playing for the Washington Generals.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
        Maybe Calderon had a good audition for Raptor fans wanting to trade him as well? Or probably they only think this will raise his trade value? I'd like him to stay on for a couple of years unless we can get something really good in a trade or really fill the capspace with something more than really good.
        Amen, Euro.

This is just proof that when everyone else is mis-firing, Jose is a leader enough to pick this team up and carry them.

Beagle wrote: View Post
        DNP but loses the game for the Raptors. Audacious! I think Butler should finish out his career playing for the Washington Generals.
        Hahahah Butler is a talented man.

Comment

calderon belongs on a contender, which is why we should never ever ever ever ever ever let him go. The only knock against him is he wasn't aggressive enough when teams gave him room, if he can consistently make buckets like he did today he's a friggin all-star.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
            calderon belongs on a contender, which is why we should never ever ever ever ever ever let him go.
            Precisely. Completely agree.
            After the game, he was asked if this was the best 3 game stretch of his career, and literally without even thinking about it, he replied, "No. If you lose it means nothing."
            Love this guy.

Comment

I am sick and tired of shoot first point guards losing games for us. If Calderon is concerned about making everyone around him better, how does he score "30 points on 13-18 shooting (4-4 3pt), 6 assists, 2 rebs, 2 to?"

Oh wait...Raptors not called Calderon were 2 for 17 in the first quarter? DeRozan was 2-13, and Barbosa was 4-11? So if either had been shooting career averages JC might have had another 3 assists. ...Well, okay then. I'll let it go this game. But he had better stop scoring so much.

Comment

I'm laughing at the past Kobe and DeMar comparisons. It's truly priceless.
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Apostis wrote: View Post
                  What kind of joke is this?

First the boston game where the player(butler?) was calling out Time out right in front of the refs face when they were tied up, now this bull.

NBA needs a major revamp...
                  Boston game...wasnt that Jose on the floor calling the timeout? These guys really should be fined/graded whatever. Wonder if BC kicks up hell behind the scenes. Imagine if that was called on Kobe & the Lakers.

Comment

Well lets look ahead to the future. Once BC puts together his ultimate team we will be destroying the Lakers all season. This was a glimpse of what we can do. Imagine what we can do when bargs is back, JV comes over, our 2012 draft pick flourishes and DeMar, Ed and JJ improve. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I am sick and tired of shoot first point guards losing games for us. If Calderon is concerned about making everyone around him better, how does he score "30 points on 13-18 shooting (4-4 3pt), 6 assists, 2 rebs, 2 to?"

Oh wait...Raptors not called Calderon were 2 for 17 in the first quarter? DeRozan was 2-13, and Barbosa was 4-11? So if either had been shooting career averages JC might have had another 3 assists. ...Well, okay then. I'll let it go this game. But he had better stop scoring so much.
                      uh what?

Comment

I'm assuming that is a jab at me given my frustrations with Bayless of late (especially after 111-108 WSH loss) and the quotation of part of my comment.

A couple of things about the difference between this performance by Calderon and high scoring performances by Bayless (specifically the Washington game where I ripped him):

1) Calderon was clearly feeling it going 13-18 whereas Bayless was 9-23
                        2) Calderon still found guys having 6 assists when the majority of the team, specifically wings, shot below .500 excluding Kleiza who was 6-11. There was no one in this game who was on fire - except Calderon, of course. In the Washington game Bayless had just 3 assists and passed only when there was no other option despite having a guy having his best game of the season and was on fire in Kleiza who was 11-16 - and 11-14 before receiving shit passes from Bayless.
                        3) Calderon played within the flow of this game. He didn't force any shots. Bayless versus Washington forced everything - even shots he hit were not 'good' shots. There is a big difference here.

No doubt today's game is the exception and not the norm. It is nice to see Jose recognizes when his teammates are off and he needs to step up within the flow of the game.

Comment

• Hey, not directed at you Matt. You tend to be level headed. More a jab at JC haters. (I use the word haters in a strictly informal and low key way).

Calderon did tonight what he does well most nights, as you say, played within the flow of the game. I would challenge most people calling for a JC trade to discuss where the Raptors would have been tonight with another option at PG. Whether a young draftee, or another PG available through trade. JC is really one of a very small number who could do this. A lot of Calderons lack over the years has been the lack of people who can do anything with the passes he gives them. When it seems like he is dribbling and wasting time, it has been that no one was in position to get off a shot, as often as not. He doesn't pass into bad situations. Different then Bayless who will throw it to anyone when he is in trouble. (Being a little harsh here to make a point, but we have all seen Bayless do this and almost never see Calderon do it).

I was being facetious in my post. Give Calderon the respect he deserves and seriously think about where you will put the franchise by trading him away. PG is one of the foundations of every good team.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I'm assuming that is a jab at me given my frustrations with Bayless of late (especially after 111-108 WSH loss) and the quotation of part of my comment.

A couple of things about the difference between this performance by Calderon and high scoring performances by Bayless (specifically the Washington game where I ripped him):

1) Calderon was clearly feeling it going 13-18 whereas Bayless was 9-23
                            2) Calderon still found guys having 6 assists when the majority of the team, specifically wings, shot below .500 excluding Kleiza who was 6-11. There was no one in this game who was on fire - except Calderon, of course. In the Washington game Bayless had just 3 assists and passed only when there was no other option despite having a guy having his best game of the season and was on fire in Kleiza who was 11-16 - and 11-14 before receiving shit passes from Bayless.
                            3) Calderon played within the flow of this game. He didn't force any shots. Bayless versus Washington forced everything - even shots he hit were not 'good' shots. There is a big difference here.

No doubt today's game is the exception and not the norm. It is nice to see Jose recognizes when his teammates are off and he needs to step up within the flow of the game.

I totally agree with you Matt. There is absolutely no reason to compare Bayless and Calderon. Claderon is by far superior, and actually plays his position the way it's supposed to be played. He is a pass first point guard, but when he is needed to carry some offensive load he can. He doesn't force his game and he is not concerned about his numbers, he's looking out for the teams best interest. If he has to score he will, it's all about winning.

Bayless also cares about winning, but I think he cares about himself more than anyone else. How many times has he wasted clock trying to get his own shot and then passes it off when the shot clock is down and someone has to chuck it up? He has total tunnel vision and does not have good fundamentals. How many times do they mention don't leave your feet when you are making a pass? Bayless just isn't a point guard and I really hope he isn't signed in the offseason.

The best stat that proves Calderon is by far the better point guard is their assist to turnover ratio:

Calderon 4.56
                            Bayless 1.75

enough said

Comment

Hey, not directed at you Matt. You tend to be level headed. More a jab at JC haters. (I use the word haters in a strictly informal and low key way).

Calderon did tonight what he does well most nights, as you say, played within the flow of the game. I would challenge most people calling for a JC trade to discuss where the Raptors would have been tonight with another option at PG. Whether a young draftee, or another PG available through trade. JC is really one of a very small number who could do this. A lot of Calderons lack over the years has been the lack of people who can do anything with the passes he gives them. When it seems like he is dribbling and wasting time, it has been that no one was in position to get off a shot, as often as not. He doesn't pass into bad situations. Different then Bayless who will throw it to anyone when he is in trouble. (Being a little harsh here to make a point, but we have all seen Bayless do this and almost never see Calderon do it).

I was being facetious in my post. Give Calderon the respect he deserves and seriously think about where you will put the franchise by trading him away. PG is one of the foundations of every good team.
                              Thanks for clarifying.

If I knew Jose would be relatively injury free (like Steve Nash, for example, who has averaged around 77 games per season since 2001-2002) then I would be all over keeping him in Toronto - especially when more talented players fill out the roster. Unfortunately I can't say that confidently given his history and insistence on playing with his national team during the summer.

Continuing with the Jose love, Kobe says this:

“You’re impressed when you don’t expect a player to have games like that,” Bryant said. “I fully expect that from him. He’s a great player. He’s always been one of my favourite point guards.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ngeles-lakers/

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                If I knew Jose would be relatively injury free (like Steve Nash, for example, who has averaged around 77 games per season since 2001-2002) then I would be all over keeping him in Toronto - especially when more talented players fill out the roster. Unfortunately I can't say that confidently given his history and insistence on playing with his national team during the summer.
                                For the Record:
                                Jose has averaged 72 games per season, for his career.
                                And he hasn't missed a single Start so far this season.

Love that Quote from Kobe.

Comment

Working...
                                X