Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jonas named Young Men's Player of the Year

Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jonas named Young Men's Player of the Year

FIBA Europe announced on Monday that Jonas Valanciunas of Lithuania is the Young Men's Player of the Year for 2011.
    Valanciunas was the winner of the expert panel vote* ahead of the U20 European Championship MVP Nikola Mirotic of Spain and came in second in the public vote.
    The Lithuanian international propelled the Baltic nation to the top of the podium at the FIBA U19 World Championship in July by leading the tournament in points and rebounds.
    Fresh off being selected by the Toronto Raptors with the fifth overall pick in the NBA Draft, the 2.10m center turned heads with his stratospheric performances since the very first game of the tournament.
    Valanciunas, who averaged a double-double with 23 points and 13.9 rebounds per game, saved the best for last.
    He exploded in the final against Serbia with 36 points, eight rebounds, three assists and three blocked shots, to secure the gold medal for his team and earn MVP honours almost unanimously.
    In August, the 20-year-old joined the senior national team at EuroBasket 2011.
    His collaboration with veteran point guard Sarunas Jasikevicius provided some of the best pick'n'roll plays in the history of the EuroBasket and the host nation fans with some of their warmest memories of the tournament.
    Valanciunas had already shown he could compete as equal against senior players earlier in the year, at club level.
    He featured in 16 games in his maiden Turkish Airlines EuroLeague season with Lietuvos Rytas and had 7.7 points and 5.8 rebounds per contest.
    "Jonas is so quick, he is so agile, he is so skilled that sometimes I forget how tall he is," said FIBA Europe President Olafur Rafnsson.
    "He stands out from other players his age and if one considers what a hugely gifted generation we are talking about, this is an incredible feat," Mr Rafnsson added.
    "A lot of people compare Valanciunas to Sabonis, but he has his own distinct style," said FIBA Europe Secretary General Nar Zanolin.
    "What he does have in common with Arvydas is the potential to develop into a big man who dominates the game at both ends of the floor, just like the Lithuanian legend did," Mr Zanolin concluded.
    Sweeet !

Source : http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_-nQH1...leMode_on.html

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a very warm and fuzzy feeling right now. Thanks for posting that, Fanchie.

The last line is incredible. If he keeps working and stays grounded what might be is too good to speculate on.

Time will tell.

Raptors Republic Rookie Fanchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Jonas is so quick, he is so agile, he is so skilled that sometimes I forget how tall he is," said FIBA Europe President Olafur Rafnsson.
    This one is my favorite. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how can one set this guy's ceiling. Quick, agile, skilled, passionate, good hands, can't foul him cause he punishes you at the FT line and a "follow my lead" attitude. Oh, and 7'0.

Might take a few years to adapt to the NBA game, but when he peaks, how do you solve this equation when you're the opposite team's coach ? On which weakness do you base your anti-Jonas plan ?

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read. Very encouraging!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cannot add to the comments. Next season cant come fast enough.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    Might take a few years to adapt to the NBA game, but when he peaks, how do you solve this equation when you're the opposite team's coach ? On which weakness do you base your anti-Jonas plan ?
    The nice part about his transition offensively is that, with Calderon, he'll immediately will become a major force on the pick and roll; this should transition very well (with Calderon) in Nash/Stoudemire style. His post offense will take some time, but if he can develop that ...

Post Thanks / Like

the thing that excites me most is not him by himself, but him paired with Bargnani...if you got Bargnani popping Valanciunas rolling and Calderon able to pull up....I mean pick your poison when it comes to the pick and roll. The thing that always bugged me about Bosh and Bargnani was they didn't compliment each other well at all. This time around is seems like a perfect fit.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    This one is my favorite. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how can one set this guy's ceiling. Quick, agile, skilled, passionate, good hands, can't foul him cause he punishes you at the FT line and a "follow my lead" attitude. Oh, and 7'0.

Hhhmmm, isnt that what they pretty much said about Bargnani before he was drafted by the Raptors?

Im not being negative, just saying it was the same expectations as when Bargnani was being scouted.

But i cant wait to see next year's team. With JV, draft pick and FAs.... WHOA!!!!

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How many more sleeps till the 2013 season opens?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jv and Bargnani will be off the charts good. two seven footers who can D you up and crash the boards. No one will even think of stepping in the paint. Then you got DeRozan slashing and Barnes/Miller scoring from all areas and you got Jose dishin the rock like a boss. Do you guys think this will be the best raptors team ever? even better than the one with VC and T Mac

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Jv and Bargnani will be off the charts good. two seven footers who can D you up and crash the boards. No one will even think of stepping in the paint. Then you got DeRozan slashing and Barnes/Miller scoring from all areas and you got Jose dishin the rock like a boss. Do you guys think this will be the best raptors team ever? even better than the one with VC and T Mac
    hmmmmmmmm

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Bargnani isn't exactly a "board crasher". And The Raptors' best season to date was without TMac (2000-01).

Having said that, I don't think there will be significant improvements next season with 2 rookies playing heavy minutes. The team has potential to be good in 2-4 years, but it depends on who Colangelo finds to replace Calderon. He's not our long-term answer at PG.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear even more praise for our big rook. Between him Bargs and whoever we keep between Amir and DAvis, this is going to be a very very good front court in a few seasons. This team is really starting to make me feel hopeful. With Bargs healthy, this team could be an 8th seed this year. Add Jonas and whichever pick we get this year (Barnes or Gilchrist anyone?) and this team has the potential to contend in two or three seasons.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Bargnani isn't exactly a "board crasher". And The Raptors' best season to date was without TMac (2000-01).

Having said that, I don't think there will be significant improvements next season with 2 rookies playing heavy minutes. The team has potential to be good in 2-4 years, but it depends on who Colangelo finds to replace Calderon. He's not our long-term answer at PG.
    well he's averaging career highs in rebounding

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but it's like 6 per game

Post Thanks / Like

Anyways, I'm pumped for big Val to finally play here. One thing that really stood out for me is how he moved around on the court. It's almost graceful. And dude is 7 foot. Do you know how rare that is?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post

i meant like in 2 seasons

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread would have a much different feeling to it if Bargs had not been playing at such a high level. It would probably revolve around "who can we trade Bargs for, since JV is the answer..." Thank you Coach Casey for waking the dragon.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Hhhmmm, isnt that what they pretty much said about Bargnani before he was drafted by the Raptors?

Im not being negative, just saying it was the same expectations as when Bargnani was being scouted.

But i cant wait to see next year's team. With JV, draft pick and FAs.... WHOA!!!!
    Buzzkill is what you did. :-)

You dont really believe there was as much info on Bargs as there is on JV do you? If memory serves me, Bargs was a bit of a mystery with all the hype provided by BC & Gherardinhi. There is much more independent stuff on JV as well as his body of work this past year. I will agree that he needs to live upto it but I do believe that his curve will be sharper comparatively. Yes?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What I like about JV is what you can see on the replays. He is quick, active, can set picks and rolls to the basket very well, collects rebounds at a high rate (which means he understands where the ball is bouncing to, like Rodman did), is good at put-backs, runs the floor, he boxes out, has great FT % and is accurate on his jump shots from 10 ft. Oh, and he is 7 ft tall and strong.

All of these things will translate very well to the NBA stage. I believe he is going to be a good scorer almost from the start (picking up free throw attempts at a high rate because when he gets the ball he goes for the rim) and, more importantly, he will be a scoring threat other teams are going to have to pay attention to. The other teams bigs will have to work to keep him away from the basket which will open up the lane for the likes of DeRozan and JJ. This is a dimension to his game that will be important for the second unit, and later in his first season the starters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information