Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Based on how J.V. has played since the draft...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

follow up question... Will the unibrow not get jealous if it is taken in the late second round while the rest of Anthony Davis goes in the first round? What if they play on different teams? According to some scouts the unibrow started out on the perimeter but as it grew has fallen into a more natural center position.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I think he goes third, maybe fourth though it depends which teams are picking in the top spots. If the Raps picked first, they might take him again since they do a lot of international scouting and market this team as being international. Some teams don't do as much with international guys and might be inclined to take American players first if the talent level is similar.

There is also the problem that even when drafted, Val could decide not to come over right away like we saw Rubio do. At the fifth pick that's not such a big deal, especially since he has first overall talent, but at the first spot? That might be a franchise killer. Can you imagine if Cleveland passed on Irving took Jonas first overall and he decided not to come over right away? Heads would have rolled, fans would be pissed. Move that to this year: do you think there is any GM who passes on a superstar level prospect like Davis for a guy that may not show up for camp? The biggest thing with the 1st overall pick is having that guy puts butts in seats for franchises that need it. I don't think any team takes that risk.

Jonas probably would deserve to go first or second but I think most teams would take Davis, Drummand and probably even Barnes ahead of him.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I hate to feed in to the European stereotypes and stigma but another thing to remember with the deep draft class, no one wants to be Detroit and pick Darko. However, looking at performance and playing career I think JV has to be considered top 3 - four at the max (for the record I picked 2).

Comment

Top 2, easily.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I hate to feed in to the European stereotypes and stigma but another thing to remember with the deep draft class, no one wants to be Detroit and pick Darko. However, looking at performance and playing career I think JV has to be considered top 3 - four at the max (for the record I picked 2).
            He could've went 3rd last year if not for his contract situation.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              He could've went 3rd last year if not for his contract situation.
              True but last year was considered a weak draft class by the 'experts'. The 'experts' are saying this year is a strong draft class which is why I feel there has to be consideration given to this.

Comment

Another question that can be framed is if JV was coming up in the 2011 draft after the summer and season he just had, would he go #1? In other words is JV a better prospect than Irving?

I think Cleveland would have probably still picked Irving, knowing that they could either get JV or Kanter at #4.

I'd be curious what non-Raptors fans think about JV. Most of them probably don't even know who he is.

Comment

The Spurs know who he is. They were willing to deal Tony Parker to have the right to draft him.

Comment

Also Cleveland, saw their forums, how furious some of them were when they saw JV not being picked.
                    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Well Tristan Thompson was a huge surprise to many. It blew most mocks out of the water from that point on. Colangelo must have been doing double fist pumps when the Cavs called Thompson's name.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Well Tristan Thompson was a huge surprise to many. It blew most mocks out of the water from that point on. Colangelo must have been doing double fist pumps when the Cavs called Thompson's name.

You can see his reaction at 31:10

Comment

Always the professional cool operator but to paraphase what he said in the clip into something not so politically correct: "Tristan Thompson just went at #4? Are @#$#'in kidding me?! Whoooooooohhh! Oh my God I can't believe those dense Cavs just passed on a stud center for Tristan Thompson. Where is he on our draft board again, like 8th? 10th? Wow, and they didn't even try to trade down--- Err, good for Tristan though. I'm not hating on the hometown boy."

Seriously though that was a huge break for the Raptors. Had that not went down who knows, maybe the Raptors don't draft at five and look to trade down and instead of being amped about the off-season like we are, maybe we're luke warm right now because maybe the Raptors are 8th seed, not getting a good 2012 pick and everything looks different for next season.

Comment

Working...
                          X