Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What never was: Carter for Lin

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What never was: Carter for Lin

Via RealGM:

"The Knicks and Raptors discussed a trade of Anthony Carter for Jeremy Lin.

New York was interested in bringing back Carter to bring stability to the point guard position.

“We knew one thing about him after bringing (Lin) in,” said Bryan Colangelo. “We knew he was one tough kid.

“He took one of the hardest hits I’ve ever seen on a court and one of the toughest falls. He got hit from behind, crashed to the floor, eventually got up. We didn’t think he’d get up, to be honest. And he shook it off and continued the workout.

“We were extremely impressed by that.” "

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1mO0MboQR

If only this happened...

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

if true... BC is stupid for not making it happen.... i mean come on AC is a walking corpse LOL

Post Thanks / Like

You forget that Lin went undrafted, was cut by two teams this season and the only reason D'Antoni opted to play him at all as out of absolute desperation. I'm still not sold on Lin. D'Anotoni's system elevates PG's if they truly have game. If Lin would have landed in Toronto you probably wouldn't be seeing the same output under Casey.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    You forget that Lin went undrafted, was cut by two teams this season and the only reason D'Antoni opted to play him at all as out of absolute desperation. I'm still not sold on Lin. D'Anotoni's system elevates PG's if they truly have game. If Lin would have landed in Toronto you probably wouldn't be seeing the same output under Casey.
    but hed still give us more then AC.. that dude couldnt win a 1on1 against derrick martin..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    but hed still give us more then AC.
    Carter has been in the league for 13 season. Lin had been passed on twice by all 30 teams in the draft and then subsequently cut by two of them. How would anyone honestly come to your conclusion prior to these last five games? The Knicks didn't even have a clue. They fell face first into gold.

Credit to Colangelo for seeing something where most other did not.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Feb 14th, 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: .

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Carter has been in the league for 13 season. Lin had been passed on twice by 30 teams and then subsequently cut by two of them. How would anyone honestly come to your conclusion prior to these last five games? The Knicks didn't even have a clue. They fell face first into gold.
    What is lost on all of this is Lin was about to be released for a third time this season before the miracle on hardwood happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What is lost on all of this is Lin was about to be released for a third time this season before the miracle on hardwood happened.
    Yeah and who knows how long it lasts. It may not have happened at all under another coach in another system. Now that it has happened, if they keep giving him big minutes and upwards of 15-20 shots per game he's going to play himself into a contract that he's potentially not going to be worth elsewhere. I hope that elsewhere is not Toronto. I hope we've learned enough from the $25M contract the Raptors gave a street baller after one good season.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and who knows how long it lasts. It may not have happened at all under another coach in another system. Now that it has happened, if they keep giving him big minutes and upwards of 15-20 shots per game he's going to play himself into a contract that he's potentially not going to be worth elsewhere. I hope that elsewhere is not Toronto. I hope we've learned enough from the $25M contract the Raptors gave a street baller after one good season.
    Yes, cause with the pipeline of terrific young talent this team has in Valanciunas and, um, the other guy who, well, you know, some dude somewhere they haven't drafted yet, they better not go signing a young PG that can score and make plays. That would be horrible. He might even take the ball out of Derozan's hands and then all of Demar's unique playmaking abilities would be lost.

Maybe Raymond Felton will be available. He's having an awful year and is in danger of being benched so that Jamal Crawford can run the point. That sounds like a potential Colangelo move. Or maybe with the GM's keen eye for talent he can land another Roko Ukic or Wil Solomon. Gotta give Colangelo credit, he sees stuff no one else sees.

EDIT: Not real sure why all the "I'm not sold on Lin yet" stuff. It's almost like people are hoping he fails. I do get that it can be tough though when some guy who was undrafted and has been cut twice has shown more promise in 5 games than the two lottery picks on the Raps have shown in their combined 5 seasons of ball.
    Last edited by slaw; Tue Feb 14th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nobody, literally nobody as in zero or less than one executive saw what lin was. to give shit to any of them for not jumping on him is retarded. feel good for the new rudy. we missed a chance but that is no ones fault and new yorks lucky gain. if im new york and lin continues this pace the rest of the season. i trade carmello to completely stack the team around lin and amare.

Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

...and give up the rim rattler that is AC.... Pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    ...and give up the rim rattler that is AC.... Pass.
    you know it.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Carter has been in the league for 13 season. Lin had been passed on twice by all 30 teams in the draft and then subsequently cut by two of them. How would anyone honestly come to your conclusion prior to these last five games? The Knicks didn't even have a clue. They fell face first into gold.

Why would we credit Colangelo? He didn't make the move so whatever he might have thought shouldn't necessarily
    deserve accolades.

The Knicks might not have had a clue but the facts are they signed him and he's playing on their team. The coach had the foresight to play him and the rest has been history. Wouldn't it still make sense logically to give the credit to the team that actually has the player on their roster?

The question I would ask is why is Carter on our roster instead of BC taking a flyer on another young back-up 1?

He's taken flyers on Bayless, J Wright, Ajincia, Alabi, J. Johnson, etc yet we are still trotting out an over-the-hill veteran point guard. I welcome veterans on this Raps team but the Carters, Butlers, and Magloires of this league are bottom of the barrel imo.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Why would we credit Colangelo? He didn't make the move so whatever he might have thought shouldn't necessarily
    deserve accolades.

The Knicks might not have had a clue but the facts are they signed him and he's playing on their team. The coach had the foresight to play him and the rest has been history. Wouldn't it still make sense logically to give the credit to the team that actually has the player on their roster?

The question I would ask is why is Carter on our roster instead of BC taking a flyer on another young back-up 1?

He's taken flyers on Bayless, J Wright, Ajincia, Alabi, J. Johnson, etc yet we are still trotting out an over-the-hill veteran point guard. I welcome veterans on this Raps team but the Carters, Butlers, and Magloires of this league are bottom of the barrel imo.
    Re the Carter hire....I understand Casey and he have a good relationship and have been together before. It may have been a favor to Casey seeing the team he was saddling him with!

Post Thanks / Like

Why would we credit Colangelo?
    You're taking it out of context. My post was in response to a post criticizing Colangelo not trading Carter for Lin because Lin is obviously(yeah, now in hindsight) the better player. My point was that Colangelo identified a good target and persued said target. That's what you should want/expect as a fan. If he always does that then he's always doing his best to put the team in a good position. So my point was, don't slam him for not getting the trade done, give him props for identifying a good target that most hadn't identified. If you don't want to pat him on the back then fine, but it makes completely no sense to slam him for not getting the deal done.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

You're taking it out of context. My post was in response to a post criticizing Colangelo not trading Carter for Lin because Lin is obviously(yeah, now in hindsight) the better player. My point was that Colangelo identified a good target and persued said target. That's what you should want/expect as a fan. If he always does that then he's always doing his best to put the team in a good position. So my point was, don't slam him for not getting the trade done, give him props for identifying a good target that most hadn't identified. If you don't want to pat him on the back then fine, but it makes completely no sense to slam him for not getting the deal done.
    But thats the point I'm making. As a GM I could say that I saw Rudy Gay play in his first few summer league games and knew he was going to be a player (as an example). I might also try to call the GM and make the trade for him but if no deal goes down whats the difference?

I'm sure Colangelo has tried to swing or contemplate bad deals and they didn't go through but he's not criticized for them, nor is there any report on them. The failed Matt Barnes signing is probably a good example of this. That deal not going through was probably a good thing in the end.

I just think we should reserve accolades for the GM based on the team he puts together, not what he might have put together or for what potential he saw in a player that he couldn't acquire, imho.

Post Thanks / Like

But thats the point I'm making. As a GM I could say that I saw Rudy Gay play in his first few summer league games and knew he was going to be a player (as an example). I might also try to call the GM and make the trade for him but if no deal goes down whats the difference?
    The difference here is no one criticized you in this thread for not being able to seal a deal in time even though it wasn't even established that he had more worth than Anthony Carter. Not to mention it was known that Lin was probably going to get cut anyway to make way for Baron Davis coming back and to sign one of Mike James or J.R. Smith(they just cut Balkman to make this happen, a guy who probably carried far more respect around the league than Lin only a couple weeks ago).

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Scouting report is out now. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Casey has in store for Lin. Raps also had a days practice to implement some stops. And I'm not sold on Lin yet either.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.

Also, AC is a great locker room presence. He wasn't meant to play a lot of minutes, but Bayless' injury pressed him into work. I get why BC didn't trade him.

Post Thanks / Like

People act like Lin is the second coming of Rubio or something. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a good player, but he's more of a scorer than anything. Look at his turnovers. It'll be interesting to see how he works with Melo back.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    People act like Lin is the second coming of Rubio or something. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a good player, but he's more of a scorer than anything. Look at his turnovers. It'll be interesting to see how he works with Melo back.
    That is what has been glaring at me the last week. Of course, it is still a great story, though.

It will also be interesting to see how he performs when teams start scouting him. I doubt few video sessions were spent on Lin prior to this past week. (*EDIT* Whoops, Employee beat me to a similar thought).

Thread Information