Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: What never was: Carter for Lin

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What never was: Carter for Lin

    Via RealGM:

    "The Knicks and Raptors discussed a trade of Anthony Carter for Jeremy Lin.

    New York was interested in bringing back Carter to bring stability to the point guard position.

    We knew one thing about him after bringing (Lin) in, said Bryan Colangelo. We knew he was one tough kid.

    He took one of the hardest hits Ive ever seen on a court and one of the toughest falls. He got hit from behind, crashed to the floor, eventually got up. We didnt think hed get up, to be honest. And he shook it off and continued the workout.

    We were extremely impressed by that. "



    Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1mO0MboQR



    If only this happened...

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    if true... BC is stupid for not making it happen.... i mean come on AC is a walking corpse LOL

  3. #3
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You forget that Lin went undrafted, was cut by two teams this season and the only reason D'Antoni opted to play him at all as out of absolute desperation. I'm still not sold on Lin. D'Anotoni's system elevates PG's if they truly have game. If Lin would have landed in Toronto you probably wouldn't be seeing the same output under Casey.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    You forget that Lin went undrafted, was cut by two teams this season and the only reason D'Antoni opted to play him at all as out of absolute desperation. I'm still not sold on Lin. D'Anotoni's system elevates PG's if they truly have game. If Lin would have landed in Toronto you probably wouldn't be seeing the same output under Casey.
    but hed still give us more then AC.. that dude couldnt win a 1on1 against derrick martin..

  5. #5
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    but hed still give us more then AC.
    Carter has been in the league for 13 season. Lin had been passed on twice by all 30 teams in the draft and then subsequently cut by two of them. How would anyone honestly come to your conclusion prior to these last five games? The Knicks didn't even have a clue. They fell face first into gold.

    Credit to Colangelo for seeing something where most other did not.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Feb 14th, 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: .

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Carter has been in the league for 13 season. Lin had been passed on twice by 30 teams and then subsequently cut by two of them. How would anyone honestly come to your conclusion prior to these last five games? The Knicks didn't even have a clue. They fell face first into gold.
    What is lost on all of this is Lin was about to be released for a third time this season before the miracle on hardwood happened.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter Fuchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ...and give up the rim rattler that is AC.... Pass.

  8. #8
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What is lost on all of this is Lin was about to be released for a third time this season before the miracle on hardwood happened.
    Yeah and who knows how long it lasts. It may not have happened at all under another coach in another system. Now that it has happened, if they keep giving him big minutes and upwards of 15-20 shots per game he's going to play himself into a contract that he's potentially not going to be worth elsewhere. I hope that elsewhere is not Toronto. I hope we've learned enough from the $25M contract the Raptors gave a street baller after one good season.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,178
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Scouting report is out now. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Casey has in store for Lin. Raps also had a days practice to implement some stops. And I'm not sold on Lin yet either.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Carter has been in the league for 13 season. Lin had been passed on twice by all 30 teams in the draft and then subsequently cut by two of them. How would anyone honestly come to your conclusion prior to these last five games? The Knicks didn't even have a clue. They fell face first into gold.

    Credit to Colangelo for seeing something where most other did not.
    Exactly.

    Also, AC is a great locker room presence. He wasn't meant to play a lot of minutes, but Bayless' injury pressed him into work. I get why BC didn't trade him.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    People act like Lin is the second coming of Rubio or something. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a good player, but he's more of a scorer than anything. Look at his turnovers. It'll be interesting to see how he works with Melo back.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    People act like Lin is the second coming of Rubio or something. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a good player, but he's more of a scorer than anything. Look at his turnovers. It'll be interesting to see how he works with Melo back.
    That is what has been glaring at me the last week. Of course, it is still a great story, though.


    It will also be interesting to see how he performs when teams start scouting him. I doubt few video sessions were spent on Lin prior to this past week. (*EDIT* Whoops, Employee beat me to a similar thought).

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Rexdale
    Posts
    1,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i think whats also being missed is AC is garbage... i know hes a 3rd PG but when your 2nd pg is inconsistant & injured, someone needs to play minutes.. AC cant cut it, its pretty obvious hes a rec. league PG at best... if jose is to keep playing at this level all season & not get rest his hammy will be good as done very soon.... then we'll really be screwed

    but i guess if the idea is to tank this season.. it def. helps the cause to keep AC
    Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Tue Feb 14th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.

  14. #14
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,131
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He wasn't brought to Toronto with the intention to play many minutes, that's just not the reason he was signed. Answer me this, how many teams in the league are carrying third string PG's who can make a real positive impact on the game? I think it's easy to point the finger now in hindsight but I don't remember hearing you praising Lin prior to this five game stretch.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    AC is here for vet leadership. But wtf does he do? i've never seen him scream in bayless's ear for making a stupid play or pass. Vet leadership my ass

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    AC is here for vet leadership. But wtf does he do? i've never seen him scream in bayless's ear for making a stupid play or pass. Vet leadership my ass
    You don't last 13 years in the NBA on average talent without being a role model of professionalism. One can provide leadership by example and sharing insights of past experience in the league without screaming in anyone's ear for a mistake.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fuchan wrote: View Post
    ...and give up the rim rattler that is AC.... Pass.
    you know it.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    You don't last 13 years in the NBA on average talent without being a role model of professionalism. One can provide leadership by example and sharing insights of past experience in the league without screaming in anyone's ear for a mistake.
    well when i think veteran leadership. I think of charles oakley beating the crap out of vince carter for being a dumbass. But thats just me

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    well when i think veteran leadership. I think of charles oakley beating the crap out of vince carter for being a dumbass. But thats just me
    Fair enough. I think it is fair to say there are different styles of veteran leadership.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,096
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah and who knows how long it lasts. It may not have happened at all under another coach in another system. Now that it has happened, if they keep giving him big minutes and upwards of 15-20 shots per game he's going to play himself into a contract that he's potentially not going to be worth elsewhere. I hope that elsewhere is not Toronto. I hope we've learned enough from the $25M contract the Raptors gave a street baller after one good season.
    Yes, cause with the pipeline of terrific young talent this team has in Valanciunas and, um, the other guy who, well, you know, some dude somewhere they haven't drafted yet, they better not go signing a young PG that can score and make plays. That would be horrible. He might even take the ball out of Derozan's hands and then all of Demar's unique playmaking abilities would be lost.

    Maybe Raymond Felton will be available. He's having an awful year and is in danger of being benched so that Jamal Crawford can run the point. That sounds like a potential Colangelo move. Or maybe with the GM's keen eye for talent he can land another Roko Ukic or Wil Solomon. Gotta give Colangelo credit, he sees stuff no one else sees.

    EDIT: Not real sure why all the "I'm not sold on Lin yet" stuff. It's almost like people are hoping he fails. I do get that it can be tough though when some guy who was undrafted and has been cut twice has shown more promise in 5 games than the two lottery picks on the Raps have shown in their combined 5 seasons of ball.
    Last edited by slaw; Tue Feb 14th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •