Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What never was: Carter for Lin

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    He wasn't brought to Toronto with the intention to play many minutes, that's just not the reason he was signed. Answer me this, how many teams in the league are carrying third string PG's who can make a real positive impact on the game? I think it's easy to point the finger now in hindsight but I don't remember hearing you praising Lin prior to this five game stretch.
    its not even about who praised Lin.. its not even like i think Lin will keep this up... its about whos the better player & Lin is better then AC no doubt.. AC might have had a 13 year NBA career but how many of those years were spent being 3rd string??? quite a bit i think...

by the way...what impact has AC had in the last 5-6 seasons???? None!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, now it's clear Lin is better than Carter but again, where were you five Knicks games ago? I don't think you're being fair here and I've presented why.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Er...excuse me...why is everyone considering Steve Simmons to be a good source? He probably discussed this with his step brother Vecsey in NY.

Lin is like scores of NBA ballers. They all have talent. Sometimes stars align. Then opposing coaches and players go..wtf,,,,and design schemes to stop the new pest on the block. Lin can only be truly assessed when he has gone thru the wars for about half a season. Until then good luck to him.

btw...I dont like the Knicks (full disclosure). They used to try to buy teams....because they could...like the Yankees.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nobody, literally nobody as in zero or less than one executive saw what lin was. to give shit to any of them for not jumping on him is retarded. feel good for the new rudy. we missed a chance but that is no ones fault and new yorks lucky gain. if im new york and lin continues this pace the rest of the season. i trade carmello to completely stack the team around lin and amare.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    its not even about who praised Lin.. its not even like i think Lin will keep this up... its about whos the better player & Lin is better then AC no doubt.. AC might have had a 13 year NBA career but how many of those years were spent being 3rd string??? quite a bit i think...

by the way...what impact has AC had in the last 5-6 seasons???? None!

in hindsight the people of pompei were stupid. it wasnt a question about who saw that the volcano was coming just that the volcano is a better player than man.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    in hindsight the people of pompei were stupid. it wasnt a question about who saw that the volcano was coming just that the volcano is a better player than man.
    anyone living next to a active volcano are stupid... damn things going to blow eventually right...LOL anyways my only real point was that anything is better than AC & it just so happens Lin has been playing well... i would have done the trade even before Lin went on a tear... with bayless out we need someone who can eat up more minutes than AC can..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    anyone living next to a active volcano are stupid... damn things going to blow eventually right...LOL anyways my only real point was that anything is better than AC & it just so happens Lin has been playing well... i would have done the trade even before Lin went on a tear... with bayless out we need someone who can eat up more minutes than AC can..
    Did you consider NY pulled the plug on the idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Another factor in Lin's emergence has been D'Antoni's belief in him. Sources say that Lin was outplaying hampered Baron Davis badly in practice and that that helped him earn D'Antoni's trust. And with Douglas and Shumpert struggling mightily and Davis' sore back killing him, D'Antoni had no other options but to give Lin the opportunity to play through his mistakes.
    Source: ESPN.com

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Carter has been in the league for 13 season. Lin had been passed on twice by all 30 teams in the draft and then subsequently cut by two of them. How would anyone honestly come to your conclusion prior to these last five games? The Knicks didn't even have a clue. They fell face first into gold.

Credit to Colangelo for seeing something where most other did not.
    Why would we credit Colangelo? He didn't make the move so whatever he might have thought shouldn't necessarily
    deserve accolades.

The Knicks might not have had a clue but the facts are they signed him and he's playing on their team. The coach had the foresight to play him and the rest has been history. Wouldn't it still make sense logically to give the credit to the team that actually has the player on their roster?

The question I would ask is why is Carter on our roster instead of BC taking a flyer on another young back-up 1?

He's taken flyers on Bayless, J Wright, Ajincia, Alabi, J. Johnson, etc yet we are still trotting out an over-the-hill veteran point guard. I welcome veterans on this Raps team but the Carters, Butlers, and Magloires of this league are bottom of the barrel imo.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Why would we credit Colangelo? He didn't make the move so whatever he might have thought shouldn't necessarily
    deserve accolades.

The Knicks might not have had a clue but the facts are they signed him and he's playing on their team. The coach had the foresight to play him and the rest has been history. Wouldn't it still make sense logically to give the credit to the team that actually has the player on their roster?

The question I would ask is why is Carter on our roster instead of BC taking a flyer on another young back-up 1?

He's taken flyers on Bayless, J Wright, Ajincia, Alabi, J. Johnson, etc yet we are still trotting out an over-the-hill veteran point guard. I welcome veterans on this Raps team but the Carters, Butlers, and Magloires of this league are bottom of the barrel imo.
    Re the Carter hire....I understand Casey and he have a good relationship and have been together before. It may have been a favor to Casey seeing the team he was saddling him with!

Post Thanks / Like

Via HoopsHype.com:

Ironically, if Smith had been eligible to be signed two weeks ago, the Knicks probably would have cut Jeremy Lin for financial reasons because his contract wasn’t guaranteed and he hadn’t convinced D’Antoni he belonged in the mix. The Knicks pursued Smith for a couple of weeks and D’Antoni said they would be “very aggressive’’ in offering their $2.5 million cap room exception on him as they were looking to add his 3-point shooting ability. New York Post

Post Thanks / Like

Why would we credit Colangelo?
    You're taking it out of context. My post was in response to a post criticizing Colangelo not trading Carter for Lin because Lin is obviously(yeah, now in hindsight) the better player. My point was that Colangelo identified a good target and persued said target. That's what you should want/expect as a fan. If he always does that then he's always doing his best to put the team in a good position. So my point was, don't slam him for not getting the trade done, give him props for identifying a good target that most hadn't identified. If you don't want to pat him on the back then fine, but it makes completely no sense to slam him for not getting the deal done.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

You're taking it out of context. My post was in response to a post criticizing Colangelo not trading Carter for Lin because Lin is obviously(yeah, now in hindsight) the better player. My point was that Colangelo identified a good target and persued said target. That's what you should want/expect as a fan. If he always does that then he's always doing his best to put the team in a good position. So my point was, don't slam him for not getting the trade done, give him props for identifying a good target that most hadn't identified. If you don't want to pat him on the back then fine, but it makes completely no sense to slam him for not getting the deal done.
    But thats the point I'm making. As a GM I could say that I saw Rudy Gay play in his first few summer league games and knew he was going to be a player (as an example). I might also try to call the GM and make the trade for him but if no deal goes down whats the difference?

I'm sure Colangelo has tried to swing or contemplate bad deals and they didn't go through but he's not criticized for them, nor is there any report on them. The failed Matt Barnes signing is probably a good example of this. That deal not going through was probably a good thing in the end.

I just think we should reserve accolades for the GM based on the team he puts together, not what he might have put together or for what potential he saw in a player that he couldn't acquire, imho.

Post Thanks / Like

But thats the point I'm making. As a GM I could say that I saw Rudy Gay play in his first few summer league games and knew he was going to be a player (as an example). I might also try to call the GM and make the trade for him but if no deal goes down whats the difference?
    The difference here is no one criticized you in this thread for not being able to seal a deal in time even though it wasn't even established that he had more worth than Anthony Carter. Not to mention it was known that Lin was probably going to get cut anyway to make way for Baron Davis coming back and to sign one of Mike James or J.R. Smith(they just cut Balkman to make this happen, a guy who probably carried far more respect around the league than Lin only a couple weeks ago).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information