The Point Guard of the Future and Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Point Guard of the Future and Free Agency

Bryan Colangelo has made it very clear that Calderon is not the PG of the future. That of course has led to a lot of speculation of Jose's future in Toronto. There is the possibility he is traded this season and the Raptors head in to 2012-13 looking for a new PG or he is kept and the Raptors do not start this search until the summer of 2013 heading in to the 2013-14 season.

Before we continue, for the sake of this thread lets make one assumption clear that may or may not be true: the PG position must be filled through free agency..... in this thread, no trade or draft considerations please.

Would you prefer to trade Jose this year and go after a PG this off season in free agency? If you make this choice, here are your free agency options that could possibly be considered starters:

Deron Williams, New Jersey Nets – $16.4 million – Player Option ($17.8 million)
    Steve Nash, Phoenix Suns – $11.7 million – Unrestricted
    Aaron Brooks, Phoenix Suns – $2.0 million – Restricted ($3.0 million Qualifying Offer)
    Raymond Felton, Portland Trail Blazers – $7.6 million – Unrestricted
    Kirk Hinrich, Atlanta Hawks – $8.0 million – Unrestricted
    Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks – $8.6 million – Unrestricted
    Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets – $7.8 million – Unrestricted
    Chauncey Billups, L.A. Clippers – $2.0 million – Unrestricted
    D.J. Augustin, Charlotte Bobcats – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.4 million Qualifying Offer)
    Goran Dragic, Houston Rockets – $2.1 million – Unrestricted*
    Jerryd Bayless, Toronto Raptors – $3.0 million – Restricted ($4.2 million Qualifying Offer)

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-nba-free-agents

OR

Would you prefer to keep Jose for next season and go after a PG next summer in free agency? If you make this choice, here are your free agency options that could possibly be considered starters:

Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers – $17.8 million – Unrestricted
    Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors – $4.0 million – Restricted ($5.3 million Qualifying Offer)
    Darren Collison, Indiana Pacers – $2.3 million – Restricted ($3.3 million Qualifying Offer)
    Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia 76ers – $2.7 million – Restricted ($3.8 million Qualifying Offer)
    Ty Lawson, Denver Nuggets – $2.5 million – Restricted ($3.6 million Qualifying Offer)
    Brandon Jennings, Milwaukee Bucks – $3.2 million – Restricted ($4.3 million Qualifying Offer)
    Devin Harris, Utah Jazz – $8.5 million – Unrestricted
    Jose Calderon, Toronto Raptors – $10.6 million – Unrestricted
    Jeff Teague, Atlanta Hawks – $2.4 million – Restricted ($3.5 million Qualifying Offer)
    Roddy Beaubois, Dallas Mavericks – $2.2 million – Restricted ($3.3 million Qualifying Offer)
    Jarrett Jack, New Orleans Hornets – $5.4 million – Unrestricted
    Eric Maynor, Oklahoma City Thunder – $2.3 million – Restricted ($3.4 million Qualifying Offer)
    Will Bynum, Detroit Pistons – $3.3 million – Unrestricted
    Toney Douglas, New York Knicks – $2.1 million – Restricted ($3.1 million Qualifying Offer)
    Daniel Gibson, Cleveland Cavaliers – $4.8 million – Unrestricted
    C.J. Watson, Chicago Bulls – $3.2 million – Unrestricted
    Shaun Livingston, Milwaukee Bucks – $3.5 million – Unrestricted

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents
    Many of the free agent PG's in 2013 are restricted. However, the Raptors will likely have enough cap space to offer up to 1 near max contract (Bargnani $11, Amir $6.5, Kleiza $4.6, ED $3.2, JV $3.6, 2012 pick ~$3.6, DD est. $8, JJ est. $4, 2013 draft pick $2M - generous estimates given to DD and JJ giving 9 players with a payroll of $46.5M leaving cap space of $11.5M as starting salary) and make an offer a team may have to think twice about or even let go unmatched.

So, what do you think:

Lose Jose this year and sign a PG in the off season?
    Keep Jose next year and sign a PG next off season?

*Remember, trades and draft picks are not allowed in discussion. Free agency only*

If I had to lose Jose this year and sign a PG this offseason, I am going with DJ Augustin or Goran Dragic (more towards Augustin).

If I had to lose Jose next year and sign a PG next offseason, I am going with Ty Lawson (as my unrealistic choice) and Brandon Jennings as my somewhat realistic choice.

Comment

Ty Lawson, Darren Collinson, Jeff Teague, Stephen Curry?
      And keeping the services of a (currently) better pg than any of them for another year?
      I'll take door number two: keep him another year.

Comment

In this situation, I'd keep Jose - but I'd have a little twist.

I have cooled on Felton for obvious reasons so I'd look to sign Dragic this summer as a backup to Jose. If he plays well enough to create a PG controversy, trade Jose. If he does not play well enough to start, let Jose expire and go after Jennings. I'd prefer Curry, Holiday, or Lawson as free agents in 2013 but no way they are not signed by their current team.

Comment

@sweatpantsjer

Comment

i would preferably trade him this year and hope to sign nash at a discount if any way possible for a couple years. i was in the felton camp but i have watched a bunch of portland games to see batum, which i thought was baitem but is ba toom. and felton looks horrible. i wouldnt want him for anything other than bench fodder right now. keeping him one more year barring no nash would be a good move for consistencys sake and it will make it easier for BigV to have a great pick and roll point guard.

in dream land i want chris paul. hate williams.

Comment

Make it happen now

The reason why I like 2012 more is because it has more realistic options. Let's face it, a lot of these guys will be UFA and those who aren't, well, then you must weigh in on where they are in their careers and would they want to go to a place like Toronto given the team's current development level. In the class of 2012 I see some real options who could improve the team, with or without Calderon still on roster. Those would be:
              • Ray Felton: Solid all round PG. Not a star but he's proven to be able to run a team well.
              • Kirk Hinrich: As solid as they come, versatile and a strong defender. He and Calderon would complement each other well sharing minutes and they could actually share the court at times. He might be my favorite option.
              • D.J. Augustin: Another excellent option to pair with Calderon in a time share. He could bring back a little of that magic we saw with the Ford/Calderon PG platoon of 2006. That season no one in the league have a better PG duo. There was absolutely no drop off when one of them went to the bench and both had such different games that many times they caught the defense off guard.

Beyond those three and maybe Aaron Brooks(not my cup of tea), you're dealing with guys either likely to stay with their current team or guys who are too old to fit the long term plans of the team.

When you look at 2013 you see a bunch of guys where there is no chance in hell their current teams are letting them go unless the Raptors make an irresponsible offer. The rest of the 2013 class is just... Blah. Banking on 2013 is a mistake.

They should go after one of the above mentioned three and consider keeping Calderon if it makes sense come the summer of 2012.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I'd prefer Curry, Holiday, or Lawson as free agents in 2013 but no way they are not signed by their current team.
                I'd take Curry in a HEARTBEAT, if (and it's a HUGE if) his chronic ankle problem is fixed. He's one of those players I'd pay money to see.

Comment

No draft or trades being the rules I would hold on to Jose, looking to resign him at a more modest contract for another couple to few years after this contract is up and sign Augustin. I quite frankly don't know his game very well beyond some minor reviews but I do not watch Charlotte play. From what I read he is the choice though.
                  Dragic I have followed as I was interested in his game when he was drafted but he is a pass for me. I would like Calderon in the scenario above as a backup and Dragic would forever enshrine starter/backup controversy as he is simply not good enough to be a long term starter IMO.

Comment

Would you prefer to trade Jose this year and go after a PG this off season in free agency? If you make this choice, here are your free agency options that could possibly be considered starters:
                    possibly be considered starters
                    Leaving out:
                    Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
                    Just sayin'.

Not that we have a chance of getting him anyways.

Comment

I want to see Jose play with Jonas. The kid is nasty in the P n' R (its pretty much the only way he scores) Maybe we'll change our tunes about Jose being the point guard of the future. Young teams don't have success in the post season. Old dudes win championships

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                        No draft or trades being the rules I would hold on to Jose, looking to resign him at a more modest contract for another couple to few years after this contract is up and sign Augustin. I quite frankly don't know his game very well beyond some minor reviews but I do not watch Charlotte play. From what I read he is the choice though.
                        Dragic I have followed as I was interested in his game when he was drafted but he is a pass for me. I would like Calderon in the scenario above as a backup and Dragic would forever enshrine starter/backup controversy as he is simply not good enough to be a long term starter IMO.
                        It is hard to tell what a guy will do until given the opportunity.

Personally, I'd agree. I looked at him more as the backup long term anyways.

However, you never know what might happen. 7 games is an extremely small sample size but he has had decent numbers this year and last as a starting PG (5 games last year, 2 this year). Unfortunately, I think that argument has been used on Bayless as well.

Comment

If we think Jose is going to sign a la cheap,not going to happen,he is loyal little soldier,but he will chase the ring and play a la cheap somewhere else...can we blame him? everybody is doing it...All things being equal,I would love to see JC & JV for one season.

Comment

d279 wrote: View Post
                            If we think Jose is going to sign a la cheap,not going to happen,he is loyal little soldier,but he will chase the ring and play a la cheap somewhere else...can we blame him? everybody is doing it...All things being equal,I would love to see JC & JV for one season.
                            Elsewhere cheap would mean vet min to $2M here I would be meaning $4-5M.

Comment

Not a huge thing, but maybe a consideration in 2013 would be if the Raps made significant progress in 2012, which I would expect them to. With JV, another decent drafted player and a solid off season acquisition, the Raps could look quite different next year in terms of where they, as a team, seem to be headed. Signing another free agent, or even extending Jose's contract might be easier if they make it into the play-offs, for instance.

Comment

Working...
                              X