Cap Eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Example #2: Utah Jazz

Devin Harris, first round pick for Solomon Alabi.

The Jazz gain enough cap space to become a real player in free agency to further progress their rebuild. The Raptors gain a lethal (at times) PG with one year left on the books and a pick that will probably be in the teens in 2013. Devin Harris might go off in Toronto on a contract year and help them forget about Bayless and Barbosa. Then they have the option to re-sign him or let him walk. If he walks they see around $20M come off the books between him and Calderon plus they have the 1st rounder. There are more examples as well...

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Alright, alright. I'll calm down.

Is this idea coming originating from Seattle/OKC and their acquisition of Kurt Thomas plus 2 first round picks?
      Phoenix is probably the best team to help with eating our cap. Sarver is known to be a cheap owner. I'd take on Childress or Warrick for a first rounder.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        Phoenix is probably the best team to help with eating our cap. Sarver is known to be a cheap owner. I'd take on Childress or Warrick for a first rounder.
        Actually for Childress I'd take 2 first rounders. His contract is horrible.

Comment

Is this idea coming originating from Seattle/OKC and their acquisition of Kurt Thomas plus 2 first round picks?
          Not on the surface but let's not even try to guess what's going on under the hood. LOL

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Devin Harris, first round pick for Solomon Alabi.

The Jazz gain enough cap space to become a real player in free agency to further progress their rebuild. The Raptors gain a lethal (at times) PG with one year left on the books and a pick that will probably be in the teens in 2013. Devin Harris might go off in Toronto on a contract year and help them forget about Bayless and Barbosa. Then they have the option to re-sign him or let him walk. If he walks they see around $20M come off the books between him and Calderon plus they have the 1st rounder. There are more examples as well...
            Utah's pick is lottery protected to Minnesota.

They have top 7 protected pick from GSW.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              I wouldn't. The Raptors are better off just being players in free agency than doing that. The key to my idea is to not take on long term burdens. When Childress and Warrick expire doesn't appeal to the Raptors nor do they offer long term hope of being part of the long term solution.

Comment

Utah's pick is lottery protected to Minnesota.

They have top 7 protected pick from GSW.
                Giddyup.

Comment

Here is some serious cap eating:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=84to3z6

Toronto eats Martin and Harris.
                  Utah gets Calderon.
                  Houston gets Barbosa.

Toronto gets a pick from Utah and a pick from HOU*.

That be some good eatin'.

*Houston's pick is lottery protected to NJ and they have top 5 protected pick from Knicks.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Feb 16, 2012, 03:56 PM. Reason: wrong team put in

Comment

Damn, cap eating does not refer to magic mushrooms.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                      Damn, cap eating does not refer to magic mushrooms.
                      Ahaaa, nice!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        I wouldn't. The Raptors are better off just being players in free agency than doing that. The key to my idea is to not take on long term burdens. When Childress and Warrick expire doesn't appeal to the Raptors nor do they offer long term hope of being part of the long term solution.
                        Okay I see what you're trying to do. I think another option then could be Zaza Pachulia from Atlanta. Atlanta will need the additional cap space to resign Josh Smith (or get out of of the luxury tax).. and once Horford comes back they have their center.

Atlanta's pick should be in the mid to low 20's, and Zaza would make a decent backup center to JV next year. His contract expires in 2013.

Comment

I'm not sure they would want to give up a first rounder to dump a cheap center who can give them decent minutes off the bench. What would they be doing this year if he wasn't there?

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                            Ya, Klieza should stay with the team. He's very versatile and I love his attitude. The smirk he gets on his face is awesome!
                            & he'll prove vital for big Val's transition to the NBA & north america next season.. so i doubt BC moves Linas

Comment

These are all good suggestions. My only concern is that these players (kevin martin, devin harris) might be rejuvenated and help the team win and you know, take away our prized top 5 pick.
                              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz, that would be a good point if I were suggesting this happen prior to the deadline but I am not. Sorry for not making that more clear.

Comment

Working...
                                X