View Poll Results: Should Demar participate in the Dunk Contest?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heck Ya! Why wouldn't he? He'd win it and it'd be something to Smile about maybe.

10 43.48%
  • Nah. No point. What's he got left to prove?

12 52.17%
  • Dunk Contest? They still do that thing?

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Should Derozan do the Dunk Contest this year?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Should Derozan do the Dunk Contest this year?

I know Demar has come out and said that he likely won't participate, but everyone knows he wants to go in there and win it finally.

What do you think?

Would it be a bright spot for an otherwise Bleak season?

Or is just an unnecessary distraction for a player that is struggling?
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Na, he already proved he can win it last year until Blake hype won him the contest. I think it'd be better if he didn't and rested/focused on getting better as a player.

Post Thanks / Like

He got screwed over two times. Third times a charm.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Na, he already proved he can win it last year until Blake hype won him the contest. I think it'd be better if he didn't and rested/focused on getting better as a player.
    Proving you can win it, and actually winning it are very different things.

I do not see how it can be a huge distraction, but who knows. To me at least, I think he should participate in the dunk contest. We are not gonna be winning very many games, or getting much attention,and it is always nice to see someone representing the team on a world wide stage.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the fence on the matter, and thats one reason why I made the thread.

I could appreciate and understand if Demar just said 'f*ck it, I'm done'.
    But I think with the attention he garnered last year, and how many of the US media outlets were pointing out that he did in fact get robbed, I could see how he'd have a VERY good chance at winning it.

If I had a choice between him stepping up his game another level, or him participating in the Dunk Contest, I'd obviously choose for him to improve his game. But I'm not sure its that simple, nor is that Black and White.

He deserves the attention, and I think he sort of relishes it.
    And having him be around that many Incredible players, can't be a bad thing.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He needs to stay back and learn to stop dribbling like a five year-old. Dunk contest my ass. The Phoenix game was pretty telling when Casey stuck his ass on the bench. I mean Barbosa closed the game. I'm not sure if that's ever happened in his career. This shows you that Casey's leash isn't as long as DD thinks it is.
    Last edited by Balls of Steel; Wed Jan 25th, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Post Thanks / Like

No way!
    |Although his dunks were in the contest were decent, he brings zero personality to go with them. He needs to figure out a way to start playing better and taking time to think about dunks he never does in a game is not going to help him.

Raptors Republic Rookie The Fox's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely not. Dunk off is a joke now. He's too creative for it...

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If there were no props, go for it.

Since there probably will be, take the time to go home and try to remove head from @ss.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    He needs to stay back and learn to stop dribbling like a five year-old. Dunk contest my ass. The Phoenix game was pretty telling when Casey stuck his ass on the bench. I mean Barbosa closed the game. I'm not sure if that's ever happened in his career. This shows you that Casey's leash isn't as long as DD thinks it is.
    Agreed. DeRozan would be doing this team (and its fans) a HUGE disservice by wasting precious practice time working on new dunks, instead of improving his game.

DeRozan, forget about the circus side show that is All-Star Saturday Night, and step up where it counts, FFS!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good grief! No. Isnt that what he was doing in all those lockout games? Did it help his overall game any? That is a sideshow at the event and does nothing bb wise for the player or his team. Wanna go to the allstar game? Get there through the front door.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What does it really matter if Derozan wants to be in the dunk contest? It's not like the team practices during the all star break. He's a young guy so doesn't really need the rest like a veteran would. If he wants to be in the contest then I'm cool with it. If anything it might promote the team more when it will be a long time before we have another star that gets into the actual game based on merit.

Speaking of Raptors and the all-star break, I wonder if Bargnani would be interested in taking part in the 3pt shoot out. He may not win, but I could see him having some fun with it.

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Good grief! No. Isnt that what he was doing in all those lockout games? Did it help his overall game any? That is a sideshow at the event and does nothing bb wise for the player or his team. Wanna go to the allstar game? Get there through the front door.
    ++1

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd care to see him on Celebrity Jeopardy more

the dunk contest hasn't been about dunks in a very long time... it should be called the "who can get shaq to jump the highest out of his seat (no actual dunking required) contest"

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like him to but i'd rather him practice on his dribbling and his other skills. Try to take that next step and get out of this slump

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I would like him to but i'd rather him practice on his dribbling and his other skills. Try to take that next step and get out of this slump
    his skills arent the problem.... many lesser skilled players have been much better than he has of late

dude needs a shrink... get his head in order

or he needs an ogre sized big man to put him on his ass and piss him off to the point that he develops a chip on his shoulder

Raptors Republic Rookie footarez's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Barbosa has closed out more games in his career than Derozan has played in total

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I were him, I would not.
    For me its a matter of pride and moral.

He said he did not want to participate if they use props, and that people are winning becuase of them when their dunks are not as great. I would stick to my word.

Every person is different though, and if it could help him get out of his slump, then it might be in his best interest to do so.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    his skills arent the problem.... many lesser skilled players have been much better than he has of late

dude needs a shrink... get his head in order

or he needs an ogre sized big man to put him on his ass and piss him off to the point that he develops a chip on his shoulder
    we need to bring back shaq to push "kobe's buttons".

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...ther_on_LA.nba

Post Thanks / Like

No Demar this year.
    No Blake either.

No Judges either.

NEW YORK (AP)—The NBA is leaving it up to the fans to determine the winner of the All-Star slam dunk contest.

Defending champion Blake Griffin passed on returning, leaving a lackluster field of New York’s Iman Shumpert, Paul George of Indiana, rookie Derrick Williams of Minnesota and Houston’s Chase Budinger.

The league announced Thursday that there no longer will be judges in the event, which also will be reduced to one round. Each contestant will execute three dunks. Fans will determine the champion by voting on NBA.com, Twitter or through text messaging.

The format in recent years was two rounds, with a panel of judges voting on the first round before fan voting in the second.
    In Masai we Trust.

Thread Information