Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chisholm: Raptors could be active at trade deadline (Barbosa buyout?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisholm: Raptors could be active at trade deadline (Barbosa buyout?)

Not really anything new in terms of insight in this article. It is predominantly talking about the backlog at PF with Bargnani, Amir, and ED but also points out JJ and Kleiza appear to be more effective at the position as well. So the backlog might be worse than it initially appeared.

One thing that did catch my eye though was on Barbosa:

The power forward slot, though, is not the only area that could be shaken up in the month to come. Colangelo has made no secret of the fact that Leandro Barbosa is an attractive asset to contending teams, as his scoring punch off of the bench basically slides into any situation, and his expiring contract makes him doubly attractive to potential suitors. In trying to trade Barbosa, though, the Raptors are going to have to ward off the belief that they'll simply release the guard if no trade can be consummated by the deadline. If teams believe that they can just work to secure him as a free agent, they may not entertain the thought of parting with an asset to get him to their club. It will be very interesting to see how Colangelo plays this one out.
    Source: TSN.ca

I have not heard anything prior to this about Barbosa being bought out. Has anyone else? I cannot see BC or the Raptors paying him to go away.

News to me. Nice find during a stretch where there's been little in the way of good inside information.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Not really anything new in terms of insight in this article. It is predominantly talking about the backlog at PF with Bargnani, Amir, and ED but also points out JJ and Kleiza appear to be more effective at the position as well. So the backlog might be worse than it initially appeared.

One thing that did catch my eye though was on Barbosa:

Source: TSN.ca

I have not heard anything prior to this about Barbosa being bought out. Has anyone else? I cannot see BC or the Raptors paying him to go away.

That sounds absolutely ridiculous! Why would you buy out one ofd your best players for absolutely no reason. He's not a cancer in the locker room, he's not asking to be traded.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
        That sounds absolutely ridiculous! Why would you buy out one ofd your best players for absolutely no reason. He's not a cancer in the locker room, he's not asking to be traded.
        Here's a scenario for you, what if:

• He's not in their long term plans
        • They can't work a trade by the deadline
        • They know he won't be back
        • They're not really in the playoff picture
        • They're hoping for a high lottery pick during a highly important phase in the rebuild

What would a buyout do for them? Save them money while tactfully helping them with their chances at the #1 pick.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I interpreted it to mean the Raptors would let Barbosa walk at season's end.

Colangelo needs to plug the idea that Barbosa is a piece moving forward, otherwise teams will probably just wait until the summer to sign him (for less than his current salary), without having to give up any assets to Toronto.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            I interpreted it to mean the Raptors would let Barbosa walk at season's end.

Colangelo needs to plug the idea that Barbosa is a piece moving forward, otherwise teams will probably just wait until the summer to sign him (for less than his current salary), without having to give up any assets to Toronto.

In trying to trade Barbosa, though, the Raptors are going to have to ward off the belief that they'll simply release the guard if no trade can be consummated by the deadline.

They wouldn't release him if his contract expired. His contract expires at the end of the season in April, not the deadline which is March 15.

I agree though regarding the idea of just sign him in the summer. Colangelo would have to sell the idea that he would be a difference maker in making the playoffs or during the playoffs.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

• They're hoping for a high lottery pick during a highly important phase in the rebuild

What would a buyout do for them? Save them money while tactfully helping them with their chances at the #1 pick.
              I think the league would look very unkindly at the Raptors if they were to release Barbosa after the trade deadline, and sanctions might follow.

I also find it amusing and disturbing you were all for the integrity of the game while the lockout was on but you have no problem concocting a scenario abusing the system if it favors the Raptors.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                I think the league would look very unkindly at the Raptors if they were to release Barbosa after the trade deadline, and sanctions might follow.

I also find it amusing and disturbing you were all for the integrity of the game while the lockout was on but you have no problem concocting a scenario abusing the system if it favors the Raptors.
                I don't follow you at all. This happens every year and contenders absolutely love it. Drool would be literally dripping off Buss Jr. and Pop's chins. The Raptors can't find a suitor, they look to waive him but if it's obvious that there will be no taker(100% certainty) they then opt to buy him out. He then hits the market and lands on a playoff team. This is exactly what's referenced in Matt's quote about why teams don't feel the Raptors have any leverage to trade Barbosa. There is nothing unethical about this. It's business as usual and no one walks away hurt besides the teams Barbosa chooses not to sign with.

Comment

It's rumoured to be an option for Kaman to be released from Charlotte after the deadline as well, and then signed by Miami. It's regular ops for the NBA.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

How much would his buyout be? I'm assuming this is not amnesty seeing his contract is soon up. How much cap space will this create if he is bought out?

Comment

Hard to say Fuchan. I don't have time to dig up some past season examples right now but maybe someone remembers one of the top of their head? I don't think there is a set formula to doing this. Both Colangelo and Barbosa need to come to a mutual agreement. My guess it would be whatever he's owed(a portion of his final year salary now), less what they both feel he will make on the open market. His value on the open market right now given the time of year is more than likely the vet minimum.

Comment

I understand Hugmenot's sentiments and i agree, but i also accept the fact that although disgusting, it is an ordinary occurrence in the NBA, much like the Cleveland move when they traded Big Z then picked him up from waivers. Manipulation of the loopholes, but legal.

There's a part of me that wants Barbo to stay, and then there's a part of me that wants to kick him in the groin everytime he makes bonehead, ball-hogging turnovers down the stretch. IMO, Barbo is a very, very good spark off the bench, just not a game finisher. I hope if the Raps retain him, Casey never ever plays him in the last 4 mins of a game.

On being active at the trade deadline, i dont think BC will make a major splash, heck, i dont even think he'll do anything.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

Having the worse record doesn't guarantee the first pick, in fact I think the majority of the time the first pick doesn't go to the worse team. Plus to finish worse than the Bobcats and Hornets they will need to drop waaayyy more players than just Barbosa. Those teams are awful.
                          Deadallus

Comment

Deadallus wrote: View Post
                            Having the worse record doesn't guarantee the first pick, in fact I think the majority of the time the first pick doesn't go to the worse team. Plus to finish worse than the Bobcats and Hornets they will need to drop waaayyy more players than just Barbosa. Those teams are awful.
                            Could you please point out where I said they should shoot for the worst record or that having the worst record guarantees them the #1. Thank you.

tbihis wrote: View Post
                            Manipulation of the loopholes, but legal.
                            It's not a loop hole, it's very common and nothing is being manipulated. I believe it's not fair to the season ticket holders or the general attendees to act counter to providing them a good product and if I felt wronged I wouldn't buy a ticket plain and simple.

Comment

I think what Chisholm is saying is that Toronto wants to trade Barbosa but that other teams might not bite in the belief that once the trade deadline passes they'll have a shot at getting Leandro for the (pro-rated) vets minimum in the open market. They'll assume that once his trade value is gone, and since Barbosa has no future role with the team, the Raptors may as well negotiate a buyout to save a bit of coin and allow Barbosa to get in this year's playoff race as a free agent. So with his best poker face on, BC has to make the other GM's believe that if he doesn't get a good trade offer he'll keep Barbosa for the entire season.

Comment

Working...
                              X