Thread: Chisholm: Raptors could be active at trade deadline (Barbosa buyout?)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chisholm: Raptors could be active at trade deadline (Barbosa buyout?)

Not really anything new in terms of insight in this article. It is predominantly talking about the backlog at PF with Bargnani, Amir, and ED but also points out JJ and Kleiza appear to be more effective at the position as well. So the backlog might be worse than it initially appeared.

One thing that did catch my eye though was on Barbosa:

The power forward slot, though, is not the only area that could be shaken up in the month to come. Colangelo has made no secret of the fact that Leandro Barbosa is an attractive asset to contending teams, as his scoring punch off of the bench basically slides into any situation, and his expiring contract makes him doubly attractive to potential suitors. In trying to trade Barbosa, though, the Raptors are going to have to ward off the belief that they'll simply release the guard if no trade can be consummated by the deadline. If teams believe that they can just work to secure him as a free agent, they may not entertain the thought of parting with an asset to get him to their club. It will be very interesting to see how Colangelo plays this one out.
    Source: TSN.ca

I have not heard anything prior to this about Barbosa being bought out. Has anyone else? I cannot see BC or the Raptors paying him to go away.

Post Thanks / Like

News to me. Nice find during a stretch where there's been little in the way of good inside information.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Not really anything new in terms of insight in this article. It is predominantly talking about the backlog at PF with Bargnani, Amir, and ED but also points out JJ and Kleiza appear to be more effective at the position as well. So the backlog might be worse than it initially appeared.

One thing that did catch my eye though was on Barbosa:

Source: TSN.ca

I have not heard anything prior to this about Barbosa being bought out. Has anyone else? I cannot see BC or the Raptors paying him to go away.

That sounds absolutely ridiculous! Why would you buy out one ofd your best players for absolutely no reason. He's not a cancer in the locker room, he's not asking to be traded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    That sounds absolutely ridiculous! Why would you buy out one ofd your best players for absolutely no reason. He's not a cancer in the locker room, he's not asking to be traded.
    Here's a scenario for you, what if:

• He's not in their long term plans
    • They can't work a trade by the deadline
    • They know he won't be back
    • They're not really in the playoff picture
    • They're hoping for a high lottery pick during a highly important phase in the rebuild

What would a buyout do for them? Save them money while tactfully helping them with their chances at the #1 pick.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I interpreted it to mean the Raptors would let Barbosa walk at season's end.

Colangelo needs to plug the idea that Barbosa is a piece moving forward, otherwise teams will probably just wait until the summer to sign him (for less than his current salary), without having to give up any assets to Toronto.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I interpreted it to mean the Raptors would let Barbosa walk at season's end.

Colangelo needs to plug the idea that Barbosa is a piece moving forward, otherwise teams will probably just wait until the summer to sign him (for less than his current salary), without having to give up any assets to Toronto.

In trying to trade Barbosa, though, the Raptors are going to have to ward off the belief that they'll simply release the guard if no trade can be consummated by the deadline.

They wouldn't release him if his contract expired. His contract expires at the end of the season in April, not the deadline which is March 15.

I agree though regarding the idea of just sign him in the summer. Colangelo would have to sell the idea that he would be a difference maker in making the playoffs or during the playoffs.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Here's a scenario for you, what if:

• He's not in their long term plans
    • They can't work a trade by the deadline
    • They know he won't be back
    • They're not really in the playoff picture
    • They're hoping for a high lottery pick during a highly important phase in the rebuild

What would a buyout do for them? Save them money while tactfully helping them with their chances at the #1 pick.
    I think the league would look very unkindly at the Raptors if they were to release Barbosa after the trade deadline, and sanctions might follow.

I also find it amusing and disturbing you were all for the integrity of the game while the lockout was on but you have no problem concocting a scenario abusing the system if it favors the Raptors.