Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetically

Raptors Republic Starter saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hypothetically

Hypothetically:

This is a huge if...

If we end up trading for another late draft pick, and we won the draft lottery. Would you trade the 1st overall pick (Anthony Davis) and the late pick to the Hornets for their 2 picks if they landed in the 2nd or 3rd spot? They most likely will have Minnesota's pick as well, which will be in the lottery.

Doing this we would be able to select Barnes or MKG and then draft from 10-15th again. We would have a chance to take any point guard or the best player available.

We are already deep at the PF position, and I think it's worth keeping Bargs, and one of Ed or Amir

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i am all for trading away from davis if we are number one. i think that the hornets wouldnt trade number 2 and 3 for #1 though. i would be happy trading all the way down to 3 depending on who is picking second. i think bc wants barnes, i want mkg but if he thinks barnes would go 3rd or that his trade can get a shooter to slot into the 3 and still draft mkg we are golden.

Post Thanks / Like

1 for 2 and 3 is very, very appealing. I'd probably do that in this draft. I know everyone is gone on Davis but this draft is really stacked at the top.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he's implying that NO will have the #2 and #3 picks.. I think he's implying that NO would have the #2 pick, and another pick in the lottery (Minny's pick). If we drafted #1.. would you trade that pick (and some hypothetical non-lottery pick) for those two picks.

To answer your original question - I think I'd rather stick with Davis, and trade both Amir and Ed.

Post Thanks / Like

If they draft Davis I think Bargnani is most likely on the way out.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I think they can work with both Davis and Bargnani for a year (they did with George and Granger in Indy for example). Davis comes off the bench and/or gets minutes at PF with Bargnani as Center to relieve JV for some time.

However in 2013/2014 they can then make their decision. Trade Bargs or trade A. Davis if the tandem doesn't work out. Bargs could fetch a high volume wing like a Harden, an Ellis or a Gay.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

agreed and i dont think they will give up on bargs after sticking with him this long and finally seeing him break out

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors aren't going to win the lottery. NBA won't let that happen in this draft.

Post Thanks / Like

there always has to be one

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't think he's implying that NO will have the #2 and #3 picks.. I think he's implying that NO would have the #2 pick, and another pick in the lottery (Minny's pick). If we drafted #1.. would you trade that pick (and some hypothetical non-lottery pick) for those two picks.

To answer your original question - I think I'd rather stick with Davis, and trade both Amir and Ed.
    Thanks for clearing up my question. I think I would still pass up on Davis. I'm excited to see the two Euro 7 footers play together for years to come. Their games compliment each others. I also think Bargs would be the one to go. He still has a good 6 years or more. We desperately need a SF or a pure shooting guard. J. Lamb has been sliding and it's looking like he might be around for Minni's pick. If not we could get a Marshall, Teague or Kabango.

On the other hand we could draft Davis, sign Batum. Trade Ed and Amir for other pieces or trade one of them and the late pick we have to move up to grab the point guard we wanted.
    Last edited by saints91; Sat Feb 18th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh, different draft sites have very different order after the top three. NBADraft has Lamb at 5 and DraftExpress has him going at 12. Still, assuming the order you gave is right, I think this team picks either Robinson or Sullinger. Maybe Jones if his head is on right. I think the order will change somewhat before the draft, guys like Kendall Marshall and Lamb may rise.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie Phat Farmer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if we were to make that trade with New Orleans and we were to get Davis, he could easily work with JV or Bargs. Anthony Davis is pretty versatile, and I think the 3 of them can split the minutes at the 5 & 4. If we are able to use the later Minny pick to catch one of the SG' or SF's that slip in the draft, I think it's very likely you can see some kind of package of Amir/Davis/Derozan out the door for an established 2 or 3. So many possibilities, I can't wait for this summer.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Davis has been holding down the #1 spot on every draft board I've loked at for months now, and it's by a fair margin. He's a beast on defense and consistent...like Tim Duncan consistent on the defensive end. If by some miracle the Raptor's are fortunate enough to land the #1 pick they shouldn't hesitate to pick Davis.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard BC say that he was at the Kentucky-NC game and there was 1 player (he wouldnt name names for obvious reasons) who separated himself by a wide margin. I believe he was speaking of Davis. I dont think anyone would trade him if they had the opportunity to draft him. The scary thing is that he is just starting to really develop and has probably not fully grown either.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

we'd have to move amir or bargnani if we get davis

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

A 3-man rotation of Bargnani, Davis, and Valanciunas would give the Raptors a big man rotation capable of winning a championship. I wouldn't trade any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

If we made the trade with the Hornets, think about our team if we draft Barnes (my preference because he has elite scoring ability) or MKG with the lower pick ,and then maybe pick Kabongo with the later pick. Yes we would be taking him a bit early, but if you read up on what Nash thinks of him I think he is worth the pick. Calderon can groom him till he is ready.

Jonas/????FA/Amir
    Bargs /Amir/Ed Davis
    Barnes or MKG/J.J./Kleiza
    DeMar/????FA/Forbes
    Calderon/Kabongo/???FA

That's a pretty sweet line up! We would have tons of money to sign good back-up for the SG and C positions. Maybe re-sign Barbosa, and sign Jason Thompson. Use the mid Level on Dragic. That's a pretty sweet, deep team.

Jonas/Thompson/Amir
    Bargs/Amir/Ed Davis
    Barnes/J.J./Kleiza
    DeMar/Barbosa/Forbes
    Calderon/Dragic/Kabongo (let him learn from these guys)

After next year Calderon would be off the books and we could have Kabongo and Dragic as a tandem. We would have another rookie, and then cap room to sign a player.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Meh, different draft sites have very different order after the top three. NBADraft has Lamb at 5 and DraftExpress has him going at 12. Still, assuming the order you gave is right, I think this team picks either Robinson or Sullinger. Maybe Jones if his head is on right. I think the order will change somewhat before the draft, guys like Kendall Marshall and Lamb may rise.
    You think the Toronto Raptors, with Bargnani, Ed Davis and Amir Johnson - and desperate need of depth at SF and Guard spots will draft a PF? IF they got the #1 pick, they'd have to think hard about what to do with it, but beyond that I'd say there is no way the Raps go with a PF in the lottery.

To answer the thread question, turning the #1 into 2 high lottery picks sounds like a tasty idea ... but other GMs know that there are many quality pieces up top, and a team like NO needs lots of pieces ... i'm sure a deal is there.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If Anthony Davis is clearly the most talented player in the draft, you draft him and resolve the logjam later.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there a couple franchise players in the top 10, I don't think it ends with Davis. If you have a logjam at position you generally do not get equal value in a trade. We won't receive a Harrison Barnes type player for any of our guys. Maybe Bargnani, but there isn't as many high end SF's in the league compared to PF's in the league. That's why we have had such a glut at that position. I think we should try to draft the position we are desperately in need of. If we can pick up another 10-15 draft pick in the process I think that is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information