Page 20 of 52 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Any arguments based on cap space aren't really applicable, because Calderon will either be traded or amnestied. Even if the rumored $12M per season is true, that's only $1.5M more than Calderon is making this season, so it's not a huge hit to the team's cap space / roster flexibility.
    It does effect our flexibility going forward because Calderon is an expiring contract this year, and now we are essentially adding another 1.5 million to this contract and rolling it over for another 3 years.

Don't get me wrong I love Nash, I think he is a great player, I would be down to get him for the 6-8 million range. But 12 million a year for 3 years, No thanks. He does not address any need that we have at this point, money can be spent wisely on an OJ Mayo/Ilyasova free agent in my opinion.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    It does effect our flexibility going forward because Calderon is an expiring contract this year, and now we are essentially adding another 1.5 million to this contract and rolling it over for another 3 years.

Don't get me wrong I love Nash, I think he is a great player, I would be down to get him for the 6-8 million range. But 12 million a year for 3 years, No thanks. He does not address any need that we have at this point, money can be spent wisely on an OJ Mayo/Ilyasova free agent in my opinion.
    They can get both (Nash + another FA). There's also the trade route; now and/or approaching the deadline. While $12M might be 'unpalatable', a Nash contract alone will not hamstringing this team's cap flexibility seriously at all for the short or long-term future. They've worked the past 2 years to create this pile of money to use, and now they've got a scenario where they know the money out will be far exceeded by the money in (organization-wise). They'd be idiots not to do whatever it takes to sign Nash. And while it will make millions for MLSE, it will also pay dividends on the court. The guy just makes other players better. He turns mid-tier players into all-stars and bench guys into solid contributors. He builds camaraderie. He commands respect. What more do you want for $12M a year?
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It does effect our flexibility going forward because Calderon is an expiring contract this year...
    Actually, the contract doesn't expire till June 30, 2013. So they would have money tied up in Nash for two extra years. If the contract was front end loaded, for two years, with a player option for the third year, it might be enough. $12, 10, third year for $8 at Nash's option. He might be offered that somewhere else for the third year, or even be offered more money by another team. then it's only an extra one year beyond Jose's contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Calderon's expiring contract would do little for the Raptors next off-season. They're signing JV and Ross, plus next years' pick and the free agents this season. Then consider that guys will be coming up for new contracts soon. It's now or never on the cap space. Calderon expiring is worth nothing to us fans because it won't help move the roster forward.

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    They can get both (Nash + another FA). There's also the trade route; now and/or approaching the deadline. While $12M might be 'unpalatable', a Nash contract alone will not hamstringing this team's cap flexibility seriously at all for the short or long-term future. They've worked the past 2 years to create this pile of money to use, and now they've got a scenario where they know the money out will be far exceeded by the money in (organization-wise). They'd be idiots not to do whatever it takes to sign Nash. And while it will make millions for MLSE, it will also pay dividends on the court. The guy just makes other players better. He turns mid-tier players into all-stars and bench guys into solid contributors. He builds camaraderie. He commands respect. What more do you want for $12M a year?
    From a business stand point, it makes total sense for the organization, they will definitely fill a lot of seats. Nash is a great player no doubt about it, it is an attractive option, but I would rather target a SF, and rebuild slower. Not bust our free agent load so early lol.

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

crazy times indeed. Has anyone else see the m grange tweet that says part of the nash promotional video has the great one helping to make the pitch. How do you say no to 99?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    crazy times indeed. Has anyone else see the m grange tweet that says part of the nash promotional video has the great one helping to make the pitch. How do you say no to 99?
    If Gretzky can't get it done, no one can.

They should have made it public that they want him. They could have easily organized some sort of fan event to show support for Nash to Toronto. Anyway, whatever they do you have to think Nash is going to have some interest.

Post Thanks / Like

i just find this process hilarious. In two hours from now, is Colangelo really sitting in Nash's building's lobby twiddling his thumbs in his wedding tuxedo waiting to get buzzed up all while at the same time Prokhorov is giving him the death stare? If only youtube could get this.

Post Thanks / Like

ok to go to bed. apparently no meetings until the morning

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    How fitting, one guy who left his longtime team for greater fortune and fame is trying to sell another guy to do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else find it interesting Stefanski isn't making the trip? Maybe he's sticking around to sign a free agent target or two?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Anyone else find it interesting Stefanski isn't making the trip? Maybe he's sticking around to sign a free agent target or two?
    Someone needs to hold down the fort!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I was speaking more towards this offseason. I just meant that getting Nash is just a $1.5M cap addition, assuming Calderon leaves. You are obviously right that there would be money tied up in Nash for two more offseasons, but there would be money tied up in either Calderon (say he re-signed for 2 years at $5M per season) or his replacement (assuming at least MLE per season). So even then, it's not like Nash's entire $12M would be hurting the cap - maybe about half of it would be, relative to another PG option, but that's not too bad when looked at on its own.

I have been a huge fan of Mayo, but with DD and Ross, the Raps don't need another SG. I know he mentioned at the end of the season that he felt he could be a PG... I'd actually be interested in signing him to co-PG with Nash (since Nash would likely only play 28-32 mins a night. Mayo could PG when Nash is on the bench (16-20 mins) and play another 12-14 at SG. DD could split time between SG and SF. I'm not sure if BC would view Mayo as a PG or not, but it could be interesting, especially if guys like Gay/Iggy/Deng/Granger/Batum/Chandler are either too expensive, unattinable or their teams are asking too much in return. However, I assume he'll sign with a team like Boston, who's been interested in him for a few seasons.

As for Ilyasova, I'm not as big on him as some. He had a great season in a shortened contract year on a bad team. I think he will be highly sought after, which will likely drive his price higher than I'd like to pay for him. For the right price he'd be interesting to consider, but there's lots of SF I'd target ahead of him, if I were BC.

Post Thanks / Like

John Hollinger (ESPN) just tweeted that Portland is not one of the teams scheduled to meet with Nash.

It looks like they are either happy with Lillard, or accept they have no chance to land Nash ahead of Phoenix, Dallas and Toronto. On a related note, I wonder if Portland would be interested in Calderon as a veteran co-PG with Lillard??? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Marc Stein (ESPN) tweet:

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    As if video plea from Steve Nash hero Wayne Gretzky isn't enough I'm told Raps have Gretz lined up to call in during Sunday sitdown w/Nash

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nash is a lucky guy. i expect people that talk with gretzky feel like they are talking with superman. he would always say the right and honorable thing and you would have to listen. lucky nash to meet gretzky on canada day.
    Last edited by Miekenstien; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 03:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick browse resulted in this:

Raps have done a good job in the wee hours of free agency controlling the story so that the most prominent name attached to Nash FA is TOR.
    Source: Twitter @timpchisholm
    Agent Bill Duffy had told suitors he was looking for a deal starting at $12M for Nash, and Raptors' offer Sunday expected to be in ballpark.
    Source: Twitter @KBergCBS

Good night. I hope I don't wake up to a lump of coal in my stocking.

Raptors Republic Rookie oldmanweldon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was originally against Nash going to Toronto, hoping he would end up with a contender, but after listening to that B.S. Report, I'm now too excited for it to happen. It just seems like a guy like that would totally transform the locker room, especially with two top ten picks joining the roster. And with a big shot blocker/rebounder in JV roaming the paint, my hopes are up WAAAAAAAAY too high.

Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@Chris_Broussard just reported on Sportscenter that Raptors have offered @SteveNash a 3 yr 36 mil $ deal.
    12 million/year... just did that math in my head!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote The Coach wrote: View Post
    12 million/year... just did that math in my head!
    I can verify. I got my calculator out.

Thread Information