Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbml wrote: View Post
    and if this is the scenario, we would still have to relinquish our exemptions and cap holds ( to make an offer above the mid level or through a sign and trade) as I believe we would be acting above the cap.

I guess my point through all this is that I am looking for ways not to amnesty Calderon. He has to have value throughout the league that I would not want to see us lose.
    If the S&T was Calderon for Nash (@$12M), the Raps would only be adding $1.5M to their team salary. Since they have about $7M cap space available ($12M - $4M for Bayless QO - $1M for Weems QO), they would have plenty of cap room to make it work, without having to renounce Bayless/Weems.

They would likely renounce/trade Bayless and/or Weems if they wanted to make a substantial offer to a guy like Batum. Without renouncing Bayless/Weems, the max offer they could do would be $5.5M. Once they remove Bayless & Weems, they'd have about $10.5M available to throw at Batum. That would only take them up to the salary cap, not even over it.

Comment

• http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level (either the Taxpayer or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, whichever applies to the team) and/or trade exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap1.
      add these exemptions to our cap holds

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

Jerryd Bayless $9,126,840
      Julian Wright $8,574,171
      Aaron Gray $3,000,000
      Sonny Weems $1,145,125
      Jamaal Magloire $854,389
      Alan Anderson $854,389
      Ben Uzoh $854,38
      i am still thinking we would be above the cap and subject to these restrictions

Comment

• jbml wrote: View Post
        http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

add these exemptions to our cap holds

i am still thinking we would be above the cap and subject to these restrictions
        Bayless' QO was $4.2M and Weems' was just over $1M.
        Gray, Magloire, Anderson and Uzoh are all UFA, so they don't have any cap holds.
        If Wright is still on the books, I don't think BC would hesitate at all before renouncing him.

Comment

• As far as I understand cap holds and Q offers are not the same thing.

What is a cap hold? A cap hold is the amount of space a free agent counts towards a team’s cap. These “cap holds” factor in when a team signs free agents. If they didn’t exist, a team could use their cap space to sign other free agents until the space was gone, and then re-sign their own free agents using the Bird exception. A cap hold cannot exceed the maximum contract offer that player can receive on the open market (as defined by years of experience – indicated in the table above by MAX followed by the years of experience). The cap hold disappears if the team renounces their own free agent, that free agent signs with a new team, or re-signs with the same team.
          As far as wright goes for sure, but the 7 mil trade exemption the 5 mil mid level and the bi annual could be lost with a large ( under cap ) offer to batum

As well if we sign and trade for Nash are we now subjected to the above cap rules as the S and t is an exemption for above cap teams ??

For example, assume there is a $58 million salary cap, and during the offseason a team has $50 million committed to salaries, along with a Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception for $5 million, a trade exception for $2.5 million, and an unrenounced free agent whose free agent amount is $2 million. Their salaries and exceptions total $59.5 million, or $1.5 million over the cap. What if their free agent signs with another team? The $2 million free agent amount comes off their cap, so their team salary (including their remaining exceptions) drops to $57.5 million. This total is below the cap so the team loses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and trade exceptions.
          http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26
          Last edited by jbml; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Source says Toronto's reported 3-year, $36M offer made to Steve Nash this morning is "false.''
            by NYPost_Berman via twitter 12:18 PM
            “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
            ― John Wooden

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              TSN joins the party: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399676

Rumor is that Toronto has offered Nash 3yr/$36M, as had been previously rumored.
              Not sure if we can trust TSN on this one. Check out their story on Lewis getting bought out (or more importantly, the picture).
              http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399660
              Not to mention, I was listening to their morning radio show the other day and the main host listed off the raptors starting five saying our starting small forward is Ed Davis. This guy has his own show!

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                Not sure if we can trust TSN on this one. Check out their story on Lewis getting bought out (or more importantly, the picture).
                http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399660
                Not to mention, I was listening to their morning radio show the other day and the main host listed off the raptors starting five saying our starting small forward is Ed Davis. This guy has his own show!
                True, but I had read the same rumor on both ESPN and CNNSI.

Until I see a headline that reads "Nash picks Toronto; teams now negotiating S&T deal", where BC is quoted as confirming the team's signing of Nash, I will remain skeptical but hopeful!

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  True, but I had read the same rumor on both ESPN and CNNSI.

Until I see a headline that reads "Nash picks Toronto; teams now negotiating S&T deal", where BC is quoted as confirming the team's signing of Nash, I will remain skeptical but hopeful!
                  sorry....should have put a smiley/sarcastic face after that one. I believe the story (although, ironically, just came across a ny post tweet saying it is "false"). I was just doubting TSN's basketball insight because of the link i included. Check it out

Comment

• RE this S&T arrangement Nash has with the Suns, this is a mutual one of good faith by Nash. He did not have to do this. The Suns only leverage is Nash's goodwill to his old team. Period. I suppose this is going to come down to Nash making his choice first of a team (based on whatever his priorities are) and on the understanding with that team that he will only join them based on a trade arrangement with PHX who will then try for the best deal they can....but they are really in no position to dictate.

Comment

• S&T Nash for Jose would be amazing -- essentially upgrading our point position & giving Jose to a team with tremendous medical staff and faciities, to extend his career. I love Jose man. This guy deserves to retire as a Raptor.
                      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• I do to. The guy has been so solid both as a player and a person amid all the crud times. If Nash accepts the Raps offer I can see Jose going to the Suns. That would be the best outcome for all I believe (except that Nash gives up on a ring). I cant see the money being any better.

Comment

• Confirmed Raptors offer Nash 3 years 36 million fully guaranteed

The Toronto Raptors have offered free-agent point guard Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million contract, according to sources.

Nash, a two-time NBA MVP, has spent the past eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, but has made it a point in recent interviews to stress that he's "open to everything" and say he'll listen to any team that calls. However, industry sources monitoring the free-agent market have identified Toronto as one of four team that pose the greatest danger to the Suns in terms of signing Nash away, including the Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets.

It has been widely anticipated that Phoenix would offer him a new two-year deal worth at least $20 million, but it remains to be seen how far Suns owner Robert Sarver will go when the bids start coming in. The Arizona Republic's Paul Coro reported Friday night that the Suns "do not appear willing to meet (Nash's) wish for a three-year deal" and Suns officials are already fighting the perception that they selected North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall with the 13th pick in Thursday night's draft as the first step in dealing with Nash's eventual departure.

Nash earned nearly $12 million last season and averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists for a team that, with no 20-point scorer, nearly snagged the last playoff spot in the West.
                          http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...al-sources-say

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/417/steve-nash

I really really hope he doesn't take it. I don't want him on this team, he's not a good fit.
                          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• I guess we shouldn't be holding our breath. It sounds like nash will at least talk to dallas and that won't happen until dallas finds out where they are in the DWill sweepstakes

Comment

• Here's my opinion; I think we should get Nash for whatever money he's worth. This is the same guy who lead a team (ranked 23rd in DEF efficiency) that was 3 games shy from a playoff spot in a better conference. I'd imagine playoffs next season would be a guarantee.
                              Last edited by matt; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• How can you say he's not a good fit? The only teams he's not a good fit for are ones that already have a superstar point guard.

Comment

Working...
                                X