No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it costs us the 8th pick, I cannot endorse the acquisition of Nash (unless we acquire another lotto pick in a subsequent transaction).

Comment

• Phoenix Suns facing important week of decisions

Nash will have choices elsewhere, with Toronto, Portland, Dallas and (for less money) New York being the favorites. The Suns also have a choice of whether to continue with the 38-year-old point guard who seeks a three-year contract and could get $10 million annually elsewhere. A contract commitment to Nash limits what else the Suns could do in free agency, although they could free up more space if they use an amnesty clause on Josh Childress (owed $21 million over the next three years regardless but an amnesty claim takes him off the Suns' books for cap purposes).

While Nash has been a major free-agency recruiting tool in recent years, the Suns are leaning more now on their environment, acclaimed athletic trainers, the Valley, the club's success and fan base.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...#ixzz1ycj26aOt

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        If it costs us the 8th pick, I cannot endorse the acquisition of Nash (unless we acquire another lotto pick in a subsequent transaction).
        I would have to agree.

Nash might have 2 good years left for roughly 8-10 mil a year? The draft gives us a pretty solid rookie with a rookies contract who casey can mold into a player this franchise can use for the future. Or, the 8th pick could be used in another trade that would get us a player more valuable then Nash (like Gay). Either way, the 8th pick can be used better then to obtain Nash.

Comment

• Doug Smith's blog:

Q: Doug. Watching the reports on NBA Canada TV, they seem almost giddy about the Nash possibility. Then came a report that the Raps are on the short list (with Suns and Portland.) It is the worst keep secret that the Raps will be trying this summer.

What do you really believe the chances are?_(I, personally, think the Canadian thing is somewhat played too hard. As a fan I read in a blog said that, Toronto is not his hometown, and New York is his free choice in the summers.)

Bruce M, Winnipeg

A: I think the chances are probably slim but I know Steve will listen and the Raptors need to make it so financially lucrative he canโ€™t say no.

Now, I also think this: While it might be nice imagine thereโ€™s a โ€œshort listโ€ of three teams, I donโ€™t believe it for a second. Itโ€™s far too early in the process, every time Iโ€™ve spoken to Steve since all-star weekend heโ€™s told me heโ€™s going into the process with an open mind and for him to have discounted 27 of 30 teams weeks before heโ€™s even a free agent makes no sense to me at all. Sounds good, canโ€™t be true.

And, funnily enough, the direct quotes from him last week that heโ€™d be interested in New York if New York had some interest kind of runs counter to the โ€œshort list of threeโ€ thing, doesnโ€™t it?
          โ€œBe more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.โ€
          ― John Wooden

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            If it costs us the 8th pick, I cannot endorse the acquisition of Nash (unless we acquire another lotto pick in a subsequent transaction).
            Agreed. I would be happy giving them Bayless and/or a second round pick (or two), but I wouldn't give up something as substantial as a 1st round pick, for a guy you have the space to simply sign outright. Give them something out of good faith and because it is Nash's wish to help out his former team, but don't go crazy.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Agreed. I would be happy giving them Bayless and/or a second round pick (or two), but I wouldn't give up something as substantial as a 1st round pick, for a guy you have the space to simply sign outright. Give them something out of good faith and because it is Nash's wish to help out his former team, but don't go crazy.
              I know this is off topic but when did you become a Moderator?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I agree with this. I'd be willing to part with rights to Bayless and our 37th pick to get Nash. I also think that Phoenix would not get more from other teams Nash is thinking about signing with.

Our 1st pick is too much of an asset to part with, even for a guy like Nash who will be 39 by next year's playoffs.

All that being said I would LOVE to see Nash on the team.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  While self preservation is an under lying motive of his I'm sure I can't see him being so obvious about his motives Apollo. It's like going way out of your way in kissing your bosses ass because there is a promotion you want. It's really transparent and your boss isn't going to give you that promotion.
                  I don't view it like that at all.

It's like being told to deliver results or else and you deliver results because you don't want to risk knowing what "else" entails even if the best long term option for the team is slow but steady building, which may appear in the standing as a mediocre effort for another season.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    This years draft SHOULD be the last time we have a pick in the lottery for a while.

:P

Comment

• Meanwhile, several NBA personnel executives have confirmed that the Nash-to-Toronto rumors may have real traction.

"I've been hearing that from people that would know," said one Western Conference sharpie, sounding very much like the rest of us. "The Raptors may not be ready to win right away, but with (Andrea) Bargnani, (DeMar) DeRozan and maybe (Jonas) Valanciunas coming over next season, they could be pretty decent right away with Nash. And they could have enough cap space to get something done there."

Valanciunas, the 7-footer chosen fifth overall by the Raptors in the 2011 draft, was the dominant player in last summer's U-19 World Championships. According to reports earlier this month, there's a strong chance he could buy out the last year of his European contract — the Raps are able to pony up roughly a quarter of that price — and play in the NBA next season.

The Raptors also have the eighth pick in this week's draft, with which they're expected to grab an attacking wing (such as Dion Waiters of Syracuse) or high-scoring, draft-board-climbing point guard Damian Lillard of Weber State.
                      http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/06/2...04&feedID=3801

As long as we don't trade the pick.

Comment

• Tesla wrote: View Post

Unfortunately, i think the pick is the most valuable asset the Raps have now, well, apart from JV but everybody in the league is probably assuming that ATM (dont think dirty), he is untouchable.

If Phoenix asks for a sign and trade, how would it work? I dont think there are any players that Phoenix would want in exchange for Nash on the current Raptors team that the Raps are willing to give up. I think trading for Nash would definitely involve at least one of Bargnani, DD or JV, IMO, i'd rather keep those three than get Nash, well, unless BC is already sure he'll land a superstar FA.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
                          Unfortunately, i think the pick is the most valuable asset the Raps have now, well, apart from JV but everybody in the league is probably assuming that ATM (dont think dirty), he is untouchable.

If Phoenix asks for a sign and trade, how would it work? I dont think there are any players that Phoenix would want in exchange for Nash on the current Raptors team that the Raps are willing to give up. I think trading for Nash would definitely involve at least one of Bargnani, DD or JV, IMO, i'd rather keep those three than get Nash, well, unless BC is already sure he'll land a superstar FA.
                          I'm no so sure. It's not like most S&T deals, which are done to help the team signing the player, due to them not having sufficient cap space to sign the player outright. In this case, the Raptors could quite easily sign Nash to 3/$30M without requiring a S&T, since they have cap space available. From what I read, Nash just wants to be a standup guy and help his old team get something for him, rather than just see him walk for nothing in return (he wants to repay their loyalty to him). I think if Toronto provided a PG replacement - either Calderon or Bayless (Phoenix kid), in a double S&T - and perhaps a 2nd round pick or two (ie: #56 and/or #37 and/or 2013 2nd round pick), that would be a fair return for a guy who's chosen to leave via free agency.

Comment

• Tesla wrote: View Post

Why would Toronto trade the first rounder for Nash? Who even thinks that's a possibility? I could see Toronto doing a S&T and moving one of the second rounders or a 2013 second rounder. That seems fair.

Comment

• http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...pen-everything

Steve Nash 'open to everything'

Set to become an unrestricted free agent July 1, Steve Nash says he's keeping his options open.

Stephen A. Smith & Ryan Ruocco
                              Play Podcast

Unrestricted free agent PG Steve Nash says he has not ruled out New York but money will factor in to his choice.

More Podcasts ยป

"It sounds like a company line, but my situation really right now is I'm open to everything," the Phoenix Suns point guard told ESPN NewYork 98.7's Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco on Monday, "and I will definitely look at every situation that comes my way on Sunday, and I'm not going to close myself to any opportunities."

Nash is expected to have plenty of suitors, including the New York Knicks. The 16-year veteran has expressed interest in playing in New York and wouldn't be opposed to playing with Jeremy Lin or for coach Mike Woodson.

"I wouldn't have any fear of the fans maybe having a love affair with Jeremy," Nash said. "I think it's great. ... That doesn't really bother me."

Nash thrived in ex-Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni's high octane run-and-gun offense.

Nash It sounds like a company line, but my situation really right now is I'm open to everything and I will definitely look at every situation that comes my way on Sunday, and I'm not going to close myself to any opportunities.
                              ” -- Steve Nash

"Everyone knows I love Mike. We had some good years together," Nash said. "It would've been another factor, but what's in the past is in the past. When Sunday (July 1) comes around, I'm going to have to look at everything with fresh new eyes and see what's best for me."

The Knicks are still waiting to see how much salary cap space they have to add a player like Nash. An arbitrator ruled that Lin and Steve Novak should be granted Bird rights, enabling the Knicks to go over the cap to sign them. But the NBA has appealed.

The Knicks are just one of several teams likely to be interested in Nash. The Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers and Dallas Mavericks are also possibilities, as are the Brooklyn Nets if they can't re-sign Deron Williams. And Nash didn't rule out staying in Phoenix.

Nash is 38, so his career is winding down. He wants to win a championship but also wants to be compensated as well.

Nash said he worries about the possibility of taking less money to play for a team he believes is a contender, only for one of its top players to be injured -- or worse, for him to be traded.

"I have to be really careful and make a sound decision," Nash said.

Knicks Blog

Knicks Looking for more information on your Knicks? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Nash, who averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists for the Suns last season, still considers himself an elite point guard in the NBA and feels he can play three more seasons at a high level.

So would he rather join the Heat and win a title or be on the team that knocks them off?

"The truth is I'm a bit old school. For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey. That's just the way it is," Nash said. "You play against them so many times in the playoffs, and I just use them as an example, and I have the utmost respect for them and their organization.

"I kind of have that tendency (to try to beat the best teams), so it is strange, but as a free agent you're free to go where you want, so I'd have to consider everything regardless of the past or the future."

Comment

• http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--st...t-options.html

A native of Vancouver, British Columbia, Nash was recently named general manager of Canada’s national team. He called the possibility of playing in his home country for the Raptors "exciting."

"They’re trying to move the game forward in Canada and help that franchise move forward," Nash said.

Comment

Working...
                                X