No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would have loved to see Steve Nash as a Raptor, but no one forced the Raptors to go ball out for Steve Nash. He owes the Raptors nothing, and he owes Toronto no loyalty. If you choose to get upset with him you are discriminating against him because he is Canadian, with the rationale being we are Canada's team every American player in Europe should play in D-League in the U.S. First he is from Victoria, if this was the Vancouver Grizzlies we may have a leg to stand on with regards to being upset with him. Second, please provide me the quote in which Steve Nash said he wanted to play for the Raptors or he wanted them to pursue him. I do not recall seeing that. As for him quitting the National team, get your heads out of your asses. He has done more for Basketball in Canada than anyone has done before. Him choosing the Knicks has no effect on that. If there is collateral damage to Canadian Basketball the blame goes squarley on moronic Canadians, and Bryan Colangelo for mis reading the situation.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Being a Raptors fan is my penance for all the crappy stuff I've done in this life.... and previous ones. But this Nash thing. Usually I just laugh at the ineptitude of the Raps various management teams and the general crappiness of the franchise.... but this Nash thing... it's really pathetic. I ain't laughing about this. For the first time ever, I actually feel sorry for the players and coaches. They can spin it however they like but this is a major (and very public) repudiation of this franchise and a humiliation for ownership. This one stings.
      I can't agree more. I am being objective and trying not to let emotion enter it, but this is a huge downer for the franchise.

When Matt first posted his message months ago about "the case for Nash to the Raptors" I was actually on the fence or somewhat opposed, figuring why not just stick with Calderon and his expiring contract for one more season, rather than swing for the fences with an even older Nash and the huge contract (amount & length) that Nash would surely command. I slowly came around, as much for the off court impact his signing would have, as for the on court one. He would give the franchise a true legitimacy in the league, probably for the first time since the Carter days (and even moreso since he was a signing, not a draft pick). He would help propell Toronto back into the playoffs and put us on the NBA map as a destination landing spot for top notch free agents in the future. Merchandise sales would reach new heights and the team would be playing infront of raucus, sold out crowds every single night, making the ACC a truly imposing place to play. Nash would have a tremendous positive impact on the fair-weather fans and even non-basketball fans, just for the storyline and the glorious and triumphant homecoming of the prodigal son, to ride off into the sunset as a true Canadian hero.

Now, if Nash chooses someplace else, not only will the dream die, but I can't think of a more negative indictment of NBA basketball in Canada, if the GM of Canada's National Team and the greatest Canadian basketball player to ever play the game, were to turn down the chance of a lifetime to elevate the only Canadian NBA team to new heights within the league and back into the playoffs. This could be a long-term crippling blow to the team, management, ownership and the entire franchise. It's not just losing out on a prized free agent - that I can handle, it happens all the time to every team - but for Canada's team to be shunned by 'Captain Canada'??? Ouch... this one will take years to recover from.

Comment

• So the moral of the story is....blame Matt for getting our hopes up

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
          I hope it's not accurate ... but if so, time to go chasing a certain Slovenian ...
          Uros Slokar?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
            So the moral of the story is....blame Matt for getting our hopes up
            I'm already feeling like shit. Please don't kick a guy when down.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              lol

You did a wonderful job laying out the same course of action BC actually wound up taking, which would lead to great benefit to the Raptors franchise, team and its fans... it's on Nash now, if it doesn't come to fruition!

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                lol, just bustin' ya chops, brutha

There is always a bright side. Let's see what else Colangelo has up his sleeve (hope it's more than another snotty hanky).

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  but for Canada's team to be shunned by 'Captain Canada'??? Ouch... this one will take years to recover from.
                  Seriously? No, really? Y'all need to take a pill. The man lives in New York. He will be joining Tyson Chandler, Stoud, Melo, and maybe even Lin (think they might slide him over to the two?). So he can end his career: 1) playing in his home town; 2) playing with an old friend; 3) playing with three fellow all-star caliber players; and 4) playing for a ring, potentially. As opposed to signing with a perennial loser that happens to be in the country (not the city) of his childhood. How exactly does this reflect poorly on Toronto? You're kidding me, right? O.K., granted, if Toronto were a contender and he snubbed them, I can see you getting your panties in a knot. But really, you and your ilk need to grow a pair! (I realize that the panties crack followed by the scrotum crack has cross-dressing implications, but you get my drift).

Comment

• Tomorrow's Headline:
                    Captain Canada doesn't like Canada, would rather be cool like Captain America

Comment

• Might as well send a s&t offer from us. Calderon and JJ for Nash straight up.

Comment

• so, i stopped paying attention... wtf is going on? is there actual proof that nash is going to NY? Or just speculation based on some dude who heard from some other dude who is supposedly close to nash that nash is leaning towards new york that has everyone turning coat?

i'll wait til he actually says something himself before i start hating him.... and even then, it'll be short lived hate... its not like he's going to have an hour long ESPN special broadcast about it

Comment

• LeeZ wrote: View Post
                          Seriously? No, really? Y'all need to take a pill. The man lives in New York. He will be joining Tyson Chandler, Stoud, Melo, and maybe even Lin (think they might slide him over to the two?). So he can end his career: 1) playing in his home town; 2) playing with an old friend; 3) playing with three fellow all-star caliber players; and 4) playing for a ring, potentially. As opposed to signing with a perennial loser that happens to be in the country (not the city) of his childhood. How exactly does this reflect poorly on Toronto? You're kidding me, right? O.K., granted, if Toronto were a contender and he snubbed them, I can see you getting your panties in a knot. But really, you and your ilk need to grow a pair! (I realize that the panties crack followed by the scrotum crack has cross-dressing implications, but you get my drift).
                          It's not me or my ilk feeling that way, but rather what the perception of the Toronto Raptors franchise is, that will be severely diminished as a result of Nash walking away. If we're not a laughing stock, red-headed step child type franchise within NBA circles (ie: free agents, American fans, casual non-basketball Canadian fans) already, we certainly will be.

Comment

• LeeZ wrote: View Post
                            just stop...I stopped reading when you said playing for a ring

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Being a Raptors fan is my penance for all the crappy stuff I've done in this life.... and previous ones. But this Nash thing. Usually I just laugh at the ineptitude of the Raps various management teams and the general crappiness of the franchise.... but this Nash thing... it's really pathetic. I ain't laughing about this. For the first time ever, I actually feel sorry for the players and coaches. They can spin it however they like but this is a major (and very public) repudiation of this franchise and a humiliation for ownership. This one stings.
                              I agree.

Not sure if management took the temperature of this situation or was instead just hoping that previous relationships and ties would translate over to present day. This is quite the embarrassment however as it appeared the Raps were all in with a Jack-high.

I know people are going to fault Nash but the "homecoming" got way too much pub and attention and because it got public the way it did there is going to be some collateral damage.

Imo, BC will try and make some type of last-gasp move. If you don't like what's being said about you change the conversation.

Comment

• The weird thing about this whole situation is that most NY fans don't want Nash if that means parting ways with Shumpert. They much rather keep Shumpert and let Nash go to Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X