Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime wrote: View Post
    Unless Lin turns out to be a completely scrub, then it shouldn't hard to work out a deal. Even you have to agree that he's going to be at least serviceable in the worst case.

Expirings are more valuable than you think. Remember what teams were offering Dallas for Dampier?

But that's exactly the point. He was able to reinvigorate a Knicks team without their key players. Do you honestly believe that winning 7 straight games with that disaster of a lineup was a fluke?

Also FYI, he continued to post good (starter caliber) numbers even with Melo and Amar'e back.

Self-contradiction? You claim to prefer signing a veteran PG for 36M over the next few years yet in the following sentence you say want to draft our future PG?
    Lin could certainly turn out to be a complete scrub. I doubt it, but it's probably as likely as him 'earning' $15M at any point in his career. Expirings aren't worth what they used to be (Calderon) and 15M is a lot to swallow if, as I mentioned, he's only worth 5M. Even for one year. Nash = far more likely to hold his value through the course of the contract -- and expire on his own without having to hope someone will take Lin off your hands 2 or 3 years from now.

I don't think those 7 games were necessarily a "fluke" but I also don't put much stock in them. He averaged what, 6 TOs a game during that time? And he's no better defender than Nash. I also don't put much stock in Bayless' performance as a starter. If I did, I'd much rather just re-sign Bayless than Lin. Your definition of "good numbers" is different from mine, I guess.

There's no contradiction in saying I prefer signing the proven commodity with huge ulterior benefits to the team beyond simple stats, and then looking for your future PG over the next 2 seasons via sign/draft/trade. If you're saying TO could just trade Lin anyway after his contract is no longer healthy, what's your long-term PG answer? Whatever PG plays next year in TO, it doesn't preclude further improving/changing the lineup as time goes on.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
      Orlando, and Atlanta blowing up Chicago with Rose out half or most of the season recovery pending, Boston another year older...Raptors could sneak into 7th or 8th this year without even changing a light bulb
      Was thinking the same thing ... depending on a few scenarios, which are yet to be determined, the East could be even weaker than usual next year.

Comment

• Is anyone else scared Nash declines? Where do you go from there? Stand pat with Jose? Do you think they have a pre-arranged deal with Houston for Lowry in case?

Whenever I start thinking something's a sure thing it ends up exploding in my face, forgive my pessimism.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• 2006/03/23 Waived by the Toronto Raptors.
          2006/03/01 Back injury, inactive list.
          2006/01/31 Missed 6 games (lower back pain/suspension).
          2006/01/30 Lower back pain, day-to-day.
          2006/01/19 Suspended by the NBA for five games for entering the spectator stands during a Jan. 17 game.
          2005/02/16 Missed 5 games (back injury).
          2005/02/05 Back injury, injured list.

I am so scared that something like this will happen to Steve. Knocking wood so hard right now.

Comment

• Absinthe wrote: View Post
            2006/03/23 Waived by the Toronto Raptors.
            2006/01/19 Suspended by the NBA for five games for entering the spectator stands during a Jan. 17 game.

I am so scared that something like this will happen to Steve. Knocking wood so hard right now.
            Agreed. We don't have Phoenix's miracle medical staff.
            TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
              Agreed. We don't have Phoenix's miracle medical staff.
              McKechnie is one of the best trainers in the world.

Preventative medicine for an athlete starts with the trainer.

Just so happens McKechnie and Nash are also friends.

Comment

• Absinthe wrote: View Post
                2006/03/23 Waived by the Toronto Raptors.

Look at Hakeem's injury stats prior to joining Toronto. His last 1-2 seasons in Houston were hardly a dream. Nash is still near top of his game and in fantastic shape.

Comment

• comparing nash and hakeem isn't right. hakeem was a shell of himself when he got here. numbers dropping, games played dropping for years and then we just signed him because he was hakeem. that is probably my least favourite raptor move ever. like tom put up in the statophile compare nash to stocktons' later years and remember he just retired for his own reasons and could have kept playing.

Comment

• It's more accurate to compare Nash to John Stockton. Same position, same work ethic.

Comment

• http://www.torontosun.com/2012/07/01...nash-the-cash2

Nash is not expected to make a decision until Williams makes his call — the USA point guard has said he will choose a landing spot prior to the start of USA Basketball’s pre-Olympic camp on Friday.
                      http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...ves-across-nba

What I do expect, from the very few conversations I’ve had since before free agency began, is that things will happen rather rapidly once they know what’s going on with the big fish they’re chasing.

It won’t take two or three or four days for them to basically fill out the roster if they get Nash — he’s got that kind of allure to other free agents — and if they don’t, they have to be ready to hit the ground running with Plans B and C and D.

Things around the office have been eerily quiet and calm, no one’s talking even privately, but you have to hope that beneath that calm, there’s some furious paddling being done and once the No. 1 issue is resolved that things will move at a rapid pace.
                      Last edited by jbml; Tue Jul 3, 2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• ughhh
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• free agents are slipping through our hands like sand! make some moves man!
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• actually, that kind of strikes me as possibly bad news - leaning towards mavs or brooklyn, whoever Williams doesn't sign with :/
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Might be time to pick up that call from Morey on line 2, Bryan
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Anyone find it interesting that triano was part of the recruitment committee? Isn't he like some kind of father figure to Nash? Have to think he would have some insight as to which way Nash was leaning,

Comment

Working...
                                X