• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Something else to consider:

If Asik deal is correct and it is $8.3M per year cap hit per year;
    If Lin rumours are true and $10M per year cap hit;

Rockets need to dump about $9M in salary to make the offer if my math is correct.

Toronto can certainly help clear a good chunk of it.

A sign and trade for Nash could also turn in to a 3 team affair with PHX-HOU-TOR.

**What do you think? Am I reeking of desperation here? lol**
    I can say you have a fertile mind!!

I dont know how I feel about Nash anymore (re coming to the Raps). Since he has not made any statement so far we dont really know what is going on (Aldridge's tweet, lack of any direct quotes from Nash, BC still trying...so he hasnt been told). At best we are not Nash's first choice I feel and if it is NY it is greatly because of his kids and being close to them. So I wouldnt be too harsh on him especially since he never solicited any offers from anybody. BC should have managed local expectations a bit better I feel. Anyhow Lowry is not a bad 2nd option but depends on what he is going to cost now that the draft is past.

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
      Sorry for the rant, but come on ... when a whole country wants you to come play for them so much that they are prepared to pay 20% more than anyone else ... and you consider a pseudo-contender team that got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs instead then that is a diss that deserves a crazy rant!
      Nash has always maintained that all avenues will be sought out, and all options would remain available.
      Until he makes a decision, an official decision, he hasn't slighted or offended anybody.
      He has merely remained true to his word, and is hearing out all suitors.

As a two time MVP, who is only now getting a chance to be wooed and made feel sexy, he deserves it. And he has remained a complete pro throughout the whole process.

He has no obligation to this organization, and he owes us nothing, despite what many have stated.

Anybody who has something negative to say about Nash (let alone cussing him out as has been done) and the way he has portayed himself, is making a pretty embarrassing mistake, if you ask me.

For all he has done for this country and for Basketball, it is Blasphemy to speak ill of Steve Nash. Blasphemy I say!!
      Last edited by Joey; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        It's all about perception though. I never implied that Nash 'had to' or 'should have' signed in Toronto. It's not Nash's or BC's fault, it's really more the fact that the rumor got into the media and then they ran with it, blowing the pursuit of a free agent into something far bigger, because of all the subplots and storylines. It became some grand national plan for the Raptors to acquire Nash, the prodigal son, and for the franchise's fortunes to turn around... yatta yatta yatta. Again, as anybody in marketing will tell you, perception is far more important an influencer than truth or fact. If a free agent is weighing his options - Toronto being one of them - he could very well think to himself "well Nash, a Canadian player, didn't even sign with the Raptors, why should i?". He won't know the reasons or rational behind Nash's decision, all he'll consider is the fact that Nash said "no".

I also agree with your second paragraph, but signing a 2-time MVP would certainly make the team better, put them into playoff contention (at least) and go a long way towards making the Toronto Raptors franchise relevant again. Nobody ever said Nash was the be-all-and-end-all of signings, who alone would catapult the Raptors into the playoffs, but he would be an excellent starting point to making the team better and helping them attract even more free agents for even further improvements. Lowry or Dragic certainly won't have near the impact (on the court or off the court) that Nash would have.
        Not to be a jerk but I'm actually in marketing/advertising and have been for a long time and I definitely wouldn't tell you that. Perception can work against you too. Free Agent X sees we're winning games and then thinks, "well Steve only signed here cuz he's a Canadian and now they're winning but dudes gonna retire in a year or 2 then what? I'm stuck in Canuckistan with this same mediocre to crap team, no picks and no Nash, Hellllllll no."

I'm not denying that Toronto will always have an uphill battle to fight but so do most teams in the league. I think the contingent of folks on these boards who think this'll make us look worse than we already do are putting waaaaaay too much stock in so called perception. Before Cuban Dallas was a strict no go zone and now look at em. Straight Blue chip franchise. Same with the Clips. Same with NJN/BKN and others. Memories are very short, especially when you are talking about 1 of 450 available jobs. Even more so if you are a premiere talent and want to be a franchise player because then the choices are even slimmer.

Nash would be a great pick up for us. I really believe he'd help in many ways (perception around the L too). Lowry or Dragic wouldn't have the immediate impact, perhaps, but would be around much longer and it's all about the wins. 2 years from now, when SN is retired, KL and GD will still be in their primes and if the other pieces come together no one will care about Nash "dissing" us because we'll all be too busy worrying about seeding.
        LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Nash has always maintained that all avenues will be sought out, and all options would remain available.
          Until he makes a decision, an official decision, he hasn't slighted or offended anybody.

He has no obligation to this organization, and he owes us nothing, despite what many have stated.

As a two time MVP, who is only now getting a chance to be wooed and made feel sexy, he deserves it. And he has remained a complete pro throughout the whole process.

Anybody who has anything negative to say about Nash and the way he has portayed himself, is making a pretty embarrassing mistake, if you ask me.

For all he has done for this country and for Basketball, it is Blasphemy to speak ill of Steve Nash. Blasphemy I say!!
          I could not agree more.

I think the only person who a Raps fan could be mad at right now is BC, but let's just wait till the end of the offseason before we get mad at him.

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
            Sorry for the rant, but come on ... when a whole country wants you to come play for them so much that they are prepared to pay 20% more than anyone else ... and you consider a pseudo-contender team that got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs instead then that is a diss that deserves a crazy rant!
            A pseudo contender with 2 bonafide all stars, one of whom he's balled with before, in the city he makes his home in (that is one of the greatest cities in the world), which, btw, has actually been to the playoffs recently unlike this franchise. If it was all about a passport they wouldn't have had to offer him so much more than anyone else.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• do you guys think if phx lands eric gordon (prob not happening) that nash considers staying in phx?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post

Anybody who has something negative to say about Nash (let alone cussing him out as has been done) and the way he has portayed himself, is making a pretty embarrassing mistake, if you ask me.

Couldn't agree more...

Would love Nash in Toronto for so many reasons

But if he doesn't come, so what???

He owes the country NOTHING... He's already given more than anybody on here... he's represented this country on a world stage... and what have YOU done? Got a 24 on May 24? Watched fireworks on Canada Day? Got a timmies coffee and a maple dip donut?

Nash trumped your shitty contributions well over a decade ago.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                  NY Newsday reporting raps are going to increase offer to Nash
                  Heard that too (but that is insane and I don't like it). I have a pit in my stomach that tells me that BC's plan B is to flip Demar to Houston for Lowry (especially in light of Houston retracting their offer from Courtney Lee). http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=76bojqy
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Heard that too (but that is insane and I don't like it). I have a pit in my stomach that tells me that BC's plan B is to flip Demar to Houston for Lowry (especially in light of Houston retracting their offer from Courtney Lee). http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=76bojqy
                    i swear to god if BC moves derozan i am done...

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                      Rockets have Martin and Lamb though.

If Morey is as big on advanced stats as many say he is, then he likely wants no part of DD.

Comment

• Hey, what if NYK falls through, so Nash decides to go for cash in Toronto.

Do we still want sloppy seconds?

Comment

• Pele wrote: View Post
                          Hey, what if NYK falls through, so Nash decides to go for cash in Toronto.

Do we still want sloppy seconds?
                          At this point, given that the only people saying he wants to go to NYK are anonymous 'sources' written predominantly by NY media, yes.

Until he signs there or there is a direct quote from him, I remain (heartbrokenly) skeptical.

Comment

• Reports are coming out now saying people shouldn't be jumping the gun. The Phoenix suns are only talking about potential S&T with Knicks should Nash choose New York. They're saying Raptors are far from out of the question and that his family loves Canada. However that being said I still think that Knicks have the upper hand but people are talking like there is a 0% chance we get him.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Rockets have Martin and Lamb though.

If Morey is as big on advanced stats as many say he is, then he likely wants no part of DD.
                              Stranger things have happened. It's just a hunch. Theoretically though, would that be a good trade for the Raps (if Morey agrees)?
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• I think people are underplaying/overlooking the personal side of this.

Do you know how hard it is to immigrate to Canada? That's what Nash's ex-wife is looking at: immigration.

Here's a man with two 8-year old daughters, and a 2-year old son. He's separated. He wants to see his kids. He has made a lot of money in his career - more than enough to retire on. He's got a chance for a 3-year contract for a ton of money: behind door A, tens of millions of dollars, and live in the same city as his daughters/son; behind door B, 30% more money and national pride, and live separate from his kids.

I respect his choice. Yes, I wish Colangelo had known this personal situation better. And maybe he did. And he just made the offer in the hope that it would turn into double the money: enough to make Nash think hard.

And I'm actually thinking this is all coming out for the best. I like Calderon. Casey likes Calderon (unless he's playing good cop to Colangelo's bad cop) I look forward to signing Jose to a lower contract for the next three years after this year (his play style will age well), and spending the money on other positions where we need the help more. I like Landry. I think that came out OK. Take a deep breath, deal with it ... and maybe there is a big silver lining. In many big auctions in the business world it's often better to come second than first!

Comment

Working...
                                X