Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuh wrote: View Post
    I think people are underplaying/overlooking the personal side of this.

Do you know how hard it is to immigrate to Canada? That's what Nash's ex-wife is looking at: immigration.

Here's a man with two 8-year old daughters, and a 2-year old son. He's separated. He wants to see his kids. He has made a lot of money in his career - more than enough to retire on. He's got a chance for a 3-year contract for a ton of money: behind door A, tens of millions of dollars, and live in the same city as his daughters/son; behind door B, 30% more money and national pride, and live separate from his kids.

I respect his choice. Yes, I wish Colangelo had known this personal situation better. And maybe he did. And he just made the offer in the hope that it would turn into double the money: enough to make Nash think hard.

And I'm actually thinking this is all coming out for the best. I like Calderon. Casey likes Calderon (unless he's playing good cop to Colangelo's bad cop) I look forward to signing Jose to a lower contract for the next three years after this year (his play style will age well), and spending the money on other positions where we need the help more. I like Landry. I think that came out OK. Take a deep breath, deal with it ... and maybe there is a big silver lining. In many big auctions in the business world it's often better to come second than first!

Just want to play a bit of devil's advocate to this. You make a very reasonable post and I do feel like family should come before anything else. However if Nash truly wanted to live closer to his kids in NY he could have asked Phoenix to trade him last year at the deadline when everyone basically knew that Nash's time in Phoenix was up.

His morals got in the way and decided to be a team-first guy and wanted to let Phoenix make that decision not him. However if his family was that important why would he choose to stay in Phoenix when he had an opportunity to leave? Phoenix is much farther away from NY then Toronto is.

I think the family card is something he's considering, but I don't think its the final word.

Maybe I'm reaching...

Comment

• However, another source cautions that Nash has yet to decide where he wants to go, &?Suns have to see if NO matches Eric Gordon offer sheet.
      by daldridgetnt via twitter 4:11 PM

Does anyone want to start guessing when this drama will end? Didn't Nash say that he would decide in 1 or 2 days so the teams can move forward with their plans?
      “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
      ― John Wooden

Comment

• The Coach wrote: View Post
        by daldridgetnt via twitter 4:11 PM

Does anyone want to start guessing when this drama will end? Didn't Nash say that he would decide in 1 or 2 days so the teams can move forward with their plans?

It's looking more and more like it will be July 11 when all the dominoes fall unfortunately. I guess that's only 7 days away

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
          I think people are underplaying/overlooking the personal side of this.

Do you know how hard it is to immigrate to Canada? That's what Nash's ex-wife is looking at: immigration.

Here's a man with two 8-year old daughters, and a 2-year old son. He's separated. He wants to see his kids. He has made a lot of money in his career - more than enough to retire on. He's got a chance for a 3-year contract for a ton of money: behind door A, tens of millions of dollars, and live in the same city as his daughters/son; behind door B, 30% more money and national pride, and live separate from his kids.

I respect his choice. Yes, I wish Colangelo had known this personal situation better. And maybe he did. And he just made the offer in the hope that it would turn into double the money: enough to make Nash think hard.

And I'm actually thinking this is all coming out for the best. I like Calderon. Casey likes Calderon (unless he's playing good cop to Colangelo's bad cop) I look forward to signing Jose to a lower contract for the next three years after this year (his play style will age well), and spending the money on other positions where we need the help more. I like Landry. I think that came out OK. Take a deep breath, deal with it ... and maybe there is a big silver lining. In many big auctions in the business world it's often better to come second than first!
          He is not going to have sole custody if they are divorced - especially with her having the kids now.

A man with his means could easily afford to fly a nanny/relative with his kids from NY to TOR. It is a ridiculously short flight.

Obviously the ins and outs of his situation are not known but I find it very difficult to believe he would have visitation with his kids every day in NY and he would still be traveling for road games half the season as well.

It might seem cold or heartless on my part but we are not talking average people with modest means.

*I strongly believe when it comes to kids, you can't make blanket statements like I have above. I can't possibly imagine what he thinks or feels. I gave a perspective of a fan, not a father*

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
            I can say you have a fertile mind!!

I dont know how I feel about Nash anymore (re coming to the Raps). Since he has not made any statement so far we dont really know what is going on (Aldridge's tweet, lack of any direct quotes from Nash, BC still trying...so he hasnt been told). At best we are not Nash's first choice I feel and if it is NY it is greatly because of his kids and being close to them. So I wouldnt be too harsh on him especially since he never solicited any offers from anybody. BC should have managed local expectations a bit better I feel. Anyhow Lowry is not a bad 2nd option but depends on what he is going to cost now that the draft is past.
            You mean by shutting down this site

Comment

• It is possible that Nash has already told the teams not getting him already but isn't going official about it until there is a s&t in place. For all we know BC could have found out yesterday and maybe that's why Lowry topic is getting hot again?
              Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• From day one I remember Nash saying that he wont leave the suns without a sign and trade deal, i remember Bosh saying the same thing, which in turn we recieved James Johnson

@ least we still have Jose Calderon a undrafted PG that was found in the ruff by Rob Babcock

Comment

• This past season was not the first season he had been separated (I then assume his kids were away the previous year as well). He also does put a premium on loyalty to his team mates and probably wanted to finish out his contract which Phx. agreed to since they came to an arrangement that in free agency he would try and facilitate some return to the Suns in a s&t. Anyway here we are.Iam going to defend him until I find out otherwise. SO far he has done nothing to receive some of the vitriol here especially since he has not even uttered a word since July 1 (as far as I know). This is a special person and human being and he has always represented this country well with never a hint of scandal. Besides he has my politics...lol.

Comment

• Whether Steve Nash signs with Raptors or not I'm still pissed at Bryan Colangelo, his 'swing for the fences' approach has really hurt this franchise growth and backfired several times. Just remember Jermaine O'Neal, Hedo Turkoglu, and Shawn Marion (gave up our own 1st rounder). I'll admit after those deals he has slowed down, trying to build mediocre young talents such as Demar Derozan and Ed Davis. I haven't seen Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross play in the NBA yet, so I withhold my judgement there, although I remain skeptical about them being franchise changing players. As much as I love Derozan, he is not a starting caliber SG in this league and Ed Davis has yet to show any kind of improvement. That brings us to 2012, Bryan Co has now decided to go back to his old ways; swinging for fences and putting all eggs in one basket again. (Drafting T.Ross instead of trying to trading down/up/Kyle Lowry, Signing Landry Fields to $19 million offer sheet, and throwing $36 million at a 38 year old PG). Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Nash in Raptors uniform but that only extends our mediocrity for 3 more years with Nash and Fields under contract.

As far Nash's decision, I will not be mad at him for choosing Knicks over Raptors because he has better shot at the title with New York. At the end of the day it's business and Steve Nash is just looking out for his career. Nash wants to win championship and he should choose the most comfortable situation for him. He already has done more for Canada than any other NBA player, he never verbally committed to Raptors, and it would be foolish blame Nash (Booing' him is ridiculous idea). If this signing falls apart, this is Bryan Colangelo's fault, not Steve Nash.
                    Last edited by G00DF3LLA5; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 08:17 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Just want to play a bit of devil's advocate to this. You make a very reasonable post and I do feel like family should come before anything else. However if Nash truly wanted to live closer to his kids in NY he could have asked Phoenix to trade him last year at the deadline when everyone basically knew that Nash's time in Phoenix was up.

His morals got in the way and decided to be a team-first guy and wanted to let Phoenix make that decision not him. However if his family was that important why would he choose to stay in Phoenix when he had an opportunity to leave? Phoenix is much farther away from NY then Toronto is.

I think the family card is something he's considering, but I don't think its the final word.

Maybe I'm reaching...

I agree. Family is important, and is not the only factor. If NY is close to us in money, family pushes him there. If NY disrespects him with a $5M per year he comes here.

Comment

• G00DF3LLA5 wrote: View Post
                        Whether Steve Nash signs with Raptors or not I'm still pissed at Bryan Colangelo, his 'swing for the fences' approach has really hurt this franchise growth and backfired several times. Just remember Jermaine O'Neal, Hedo Turkoglu, and Shawn Marion (gave up our own 1st rounder). I'll admit after those deals he has slowed down, trying to build mediocre young talents such as Demar Derozan and Ed Davis. I haven't seen Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross play in the NBA yet, so I withhold my judgement there, although I remain skeptical about them being franchise changing players. As much as I love Derozan, he is not a starting caliber SG in this league and Ed Davis has yet to show any kind of improvement. That brings us to 2012, Bryan Co has now decided to go back to his old ways; swinging for fences and putting all eggs in one basket again. (Drafting T.Ross instead of trying to trading down/up/Kyle Lowry, Signing Landry Fields to $19 million offer sheet, and throwing $36 million at a 38 year old PG). Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Nash in Raptors uniform but that only extends our mediocrity for 3 more years with Nash and Fields under contract.

As far Nash's decision, I will not be mad at him for choosing Knicks over Raptors because he has better shot at the title with New York. At the end of the day it's business and Steve Nash is just looking out for his career. Bottom line, Nash wants to win championship and he should choose the most comfortable situation for him. He already has done more for Canada than any other NBA player, he never verbally committed to Raptors, and it would be foolish blame Nash (Booing' him is ridiculous idea). If this signing falls apart, this is Bryan Colangelo's fault, not Steve Nash.
                        Bryan played his cards well, whether or not Nash signs with T.Dot.

Even so, results are everything in this business...

Comment

• Steve Nash: Canadian superstar takes Raptors, other NBA suitors on roller-coaster ride
                          Published on Wednesday July 04, 2012

By Doug Smith Sports Reporter

If there is one thing that Raptors fans know better than anyone else, it’s that nothing is done until it’s done and the Saga Of Steve Nash drones on.

At midday, the highly coveted free agent was gone to the New York Knicks; by early evening nothing had been decided and the 38-year-old point guard is still on the market.

It is, and has been, a roller-coaster of a ride with the Raptors, Knicks, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers and, on the periphery, his old team in Phoenix still jostling to get the services of the two-time NBA MVP.

Toronto fans should know the feeling of uncertainty well and realize that until pen is put to paper, anything can happen.

Two seasons ago, Jose Calderon and Reggie Evans were traded to the Charlotte Bobcats until they weren’t.

Almost four years ago to the day, Hedo Turkoglu was headed from Orlando to Portland until he wasn’t, landing instead in Toronto for a rather inglorious run.

Go back even further:

John Salmons once agreed to accept a Raptors offer until he reneged; at one time Alvin Williams was traded to Boston until the Celtics pulled out of the deal.

The Raptors are keeping silent on the matter. The only on-the-record quote — “We gave it our best shot” — came from president and GM Bryan Colangelo in the early afternoon Wednesday when it appeared near certain the Knicks and Suns had the parameters of a sign-and-trade deal in place that would have landed Nash in New York for three years.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...-to-the-knicks

I don't feel good though.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            He is not going to have sole custody if they are divorced - especially with her having the kids now.

A man with his means could easily afford to fly a nanny/relative with his kids from NY to TOR. It is a ridiculously short flight.

Obviously the ins and outs of his situation are not known but I find it very difficult to believe he would have visitation with his kids every day in NY and he would still be traveling for road games half the season as well.

It might seem cold or heartless on my part but we are not talking average people with modest means.

*I strongly believe when it comes to kids, you can't make blanket statements like I have above. I can't possibly imagine what he thinks or feels. I gave a perspective of a fan, not a father*

Ever try to bring kids across a border, with just one parent, let alone a nanny? I know for the one parent you need letters of authorization and so on. Nanny only? I hate to think. Doable, if you don't mind feeling like a criminal.

And having lived a Toronto-DC relationship, sure you make it work. And you will see them a quarter as much. Sure, they fly in for a weekend (leaving friends behind), on the weekend you happen to have a day off, but you can't pick them up after school for a few hours on a Tuesday or anything. Honestly, he would just be in their lives summers, and a weekend here or there.

By the way, it is around a 3 hour trip door to door to NY by air, and I normally budget 4+ hours. The flight portion is under an hour.

Comment

• Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Just going up online & via SportsCenter: Sources say Suns have consented to sign-and-trade Steve Nash to Lakers for package of future picks

Comment

• Holy shit.

This is crazy.

So Nash supporters of this: what now?

Family - bah!

Old school - balony!

Money - yeah right!

Comment

Working...
                                X