No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D Smith seems to agree that that's where the announcement is going (Nash and Canada Basketball)
    http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Comment

• BTW, always a fun game when manic speculation gets started...google Steve Nash and check the news items. We might as well start fitting some dino shoes for him

Comment

• Official: Nash GM of Basketball Canada

Canada's biggest basketball star has been hired to head up its men's national program.

Steve Nash was named general manager of Canada Basketball men's team Tuesday.

The sport's national governing body has had the two-time NBA MVP from Victoria in its sights for some time to head up a program that hasn't made an Olympic appearance since the 2000 Games in Sydney.

Nash led Canada to a seventh-place finish in Sydney, with Jay Triano as coach.

The men's team has been without a head coach since Leo Rautins resigned in September following Canada's disappointing performance at the FIBA Americas Olympic qualifying tournament.

Rowan Barrett was also hired Tuesday and will serve as Nash's assistant general manager.

Canada's women's team also hasn't played in the Olympics since Sydney, but still have a chance to qualify for the 2012 London Games.

They'll play in a last-chance qualifying tournament next month in Turkey.

The 38-year-old Nash was already a member of Canada Basketball's Council of Excellence.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ontent=2426275

Comment

• The job will be a lot easier with less travel...
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nash recruiting/attracting Canadian talent shouldn't be hard at all, very good news for Canadian Basketball.
            NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Steve Nash is new Canada Basketball GM. So Awesome.

Nash to become Canada GM

Steve Nash has made his first big basketball decision of the summer, agreeing to become general manager of the senior men's national team for Canada Basketball.

Nash, who will be a highly coveted NBA free agent this summer, will be introduced his new role at a press conference on Tuesday in Toronto. The arrangement will be similar to the one Wayne Gretzky had with Hockey Canada in advance of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake.

"Obviously I love the program," Nash told ESPN.com. "It was a huge part of my development as a player. Going to the Olympics (in 2000) was the best experience of my career.

"So if I can help other Canadians experience that, it would be pretty amazing. I want to try to lend my hand to help develop our system and change the image and reputation of this country internationally and be a resource for as many of our good, young kids as possible."

Long known back home as "Captain Canada" after leading a team of unknowns to within one win of the medal round in Sydney in 2000, Nash hasn't played for his country since the qualifying rounds for the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

As part of his new job, Nash will have a strong say in the hiring of Canada's next coach. Former Toronto Raptors coach Jay Triano, who was in charge for the Sydney Olympic, is regarded as an overwhelming favorite for the post after he completes his summer stint as an assistant to Mike Krzyzewski with Team USA at the London Olympics.

There is quiet optimism that Canada's basketball fortunes could be on the rise after Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph were first-round picks in the 2011 NBA draft. Nash optimistically thinks that the number of Canadians in the NBA could rise to double digits "in the next five years."

"Maybe the timing of this will seem a little bit odd because I'm still playing (in the NBA), but this is about trying to impact a bunch of kids, trying to be a good resource and a source of some good. We have a lot of developing talent in our country and I'm excited to help them," Nash said.

Nash will be assisted in the job by former Olympic teammate Rowan Barrett, who will run day-to-day operations as assistant GM. The next major competition for Canada's national team isn't until the summer of 2013, when it will try to qualify for the world championships, which FIBA is rebranding as the World Cup.

As for his forthcoming return to free agency in July for the first time since the summer of 2004, Nash said: "I've been so busy with this that I haven't had much of a chance to start thinking about it. In the coming weeks, I'll definitely start to think about what I'm going to do."

Nash, 38, told ESPN.com last month that he wants to play in the NBA for at least three more seasons. He's also said in recent weeks that he has not ruled out re-signing with the Phoenix Suns, but intends to test the open market.

Suns owner Robert Sarver, meanwhile, told Phoenix radio station KTAR-AM last week: "If the situation's right, both parties would like to continue working together."

Source
              Well now no one can say he's not involved with the Program ... he's running the show!!

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Oh the rumours we'll hear for the next 2 months.

Bring on the truth! July 11th, 2012
                When I read these rumours I always wonder: what is Nash's connection to Toronto? Cause he's Canadian? Hate to break it to my central Canadian friends but most people outside of Toronto have zero desire to live and work there. He's a west coast kid, played college in the West, played pro in Dallas and Phoenix and lives in NYC. Honestly, I see the chances of Nash in Toronto about the same as the chances of Nash in Milwaukee or Portland: slim and none. And slim left the building.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  When I read these rumours I always wonder: what is Nash's connection to Toronto? Cause he's Canadian? Hate to break it to my central Canadian friends but most people outside of Toronto have zero desire to live and work there. He's a west coast kid, played college in the West, played pro in Dallas and Phoenix and lives in NYC. Honestly, I see the chances of Nash in Toronto about the same as the chances of Nash in Milwaukee or Portland: slim and none. And slim left the building.
                  He has a lot of personal connections in the organization.... well, three:

1) Colangelo
                  2) Triano
                  3) McKechnie (and he could be the biggest one).

Comment

The only connection is that Toronto has a team and the rest of Canada doesn't. I agree it's a pipe dream but don't act like he'd do it just for love of the West Coast. He did host an all star game here a couple of summers ago.

BTW the rest of the country need to up and realize that they are the ignorant ones. Come to Toronto, move here, work here and enjoy it here. We'd love to have you. Just leave all that stupid, BS, Tdot hate at the curb. I've been from coast to coast to coast and the most amazing thing is how much vitriol there is towards Toronto from people who've never been here. It's not like this is some giant welfare state sucking up all your tax dollars (ahem, Québec, ahem) or even a tiny one sucking up whats left (ahem, Maritimes, ahem).

For the record I grew up in Québec and have family from NFLD and a bunch more in Cape Breton. I love almost everything East of Hull.
                    Last edited by minks77; Tue May 8, 2012, 01:32 PM.
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

The Knicks are not going to get him because they're pretty much stuck with Lee at this point. Dolan isn't going to let thate marketing sensation go because it's lost opportunity and it means the alienation of a bunch of fans who otherwise might not care about the Knicks.

On top of that Matt makes a good point. Nash does have good connections to the franchise.

I'll go further as well. Nash has a strong connection to D'Antoni. Do you think he's going to want to go team up with Camelo Anthony given the move he pulled with D'Antoni? Anthony's nickname should be "Classless", not "Melo". There was nothing Melo about what went on in NYC. D'Antoni isn't exactly going to give the Knicks a strong endorsement after what happened there. On top of that the Knicks have shown little to no loyalty to PGs in the past three years. Nash would be stupid to go play for the Knicks. I'd place my money on him playing for the Nets before the Knicks and I'm not about to do that either.

Finally, this is not a pipe dream. Nash has said many times he's not going to go chasing championships like the Glove did. He seems to get the concept that riding coattails doesn't buy much respect. He's marches to the beat of his own drum and don't discredit his longing to come home. Don't discredit his love for his country. Don't discredit the truck load of cash money Colangelo probably has waiting on standby.

Comment

• I don't think Nash is going to have a huge impact on attracting Canadian talent as we may think. I feel that the young talent coming up right now have already shown a commitment to playing for Canada in junior competitions. The young guys are excited about the team when they play, and have achieved success, and that is what will keep them involved.

Don't get me wrong, Nash is a great addition to the program, he will give the casual fan a figure head to look up to and will be a voice in the media. Steve has proven to be a solid business mind, and this will be a big plus as well. He is very well rounded, not just a basketball guy. I wish him great success in his new role.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• maybe his first step in helping the PR of Basketball Canada would be to help with the website. Three hours after the announcement and not a sniff of it on their site. Maybe they sent out a telegram.

http://www.basketball.ca/

Comment

• Imagine the pick and rolls with Nash and Val, that would be some epic shit.
                            NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• BTW...also a positive (and semi realistic?) look at the raps appeal for Nash courtesy of Mr Chisolm
                              http://tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=395383

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                BTW...also a positive (and semi realistic?) look at the raps appeal for Nash courtesy of Mr Chisolm
                                http://tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=395383
                                You beat me to it Jclaw

Here are some key sections from the article above:

Let's make this clear right now: Nash won't win a ring in Toronto. At 38, he simply doesn't have enough years left in his body to make that journey. However, he could take a young and intriguing roster from his home country and bring them back to prominence, rapidly accelerating the growth of several players in the process, while also earning a salary at the high-end of his market value. The Raptors are one of the few teams that are both in a position to offer Nash the 3-year/$30-million deal that figures to be his asking price while also being motivated to offer it. Heck, the dollars he'd bring back to the team in terms of ticket and merchandise sales alone would almost be enough to justify such a contract for Toronto given Nash's popularity in Canada, leaving his tremendous on-court benefits as a nice added bonus. There is also no doubt that the Raptors would be motivated to offer him a lifeline to a career in management after the NBA, too, as his ties to Bryan Colangelo and now Canada Basketball would make such a transition an obvious addendum to any offer with the Raptors.

And not that this matters to Nash, but there is also the fact that while he would be welcomed in several other NBA markets, he would be adored in Toronto and Canada. While other teams would see him as a missing piece to put them over the top (coupled with all of the pressure that comes along with such a role), in Toronto he'd simply be revered for being exactly what he is: Canada's greatest basketball player suiting up for Canada's lone NBA franchise. Toronto can't offer him a path to a ring, but that doesn't mean they don't have anything to offer.

It also helps that his estimated asking price falls perfectly in line with what the Raptors could free-up if they amnestied Jose Calderon, their current starting point guard, so acquiring Nash would not demand a sacrifice in some other area of offseason roster improvement, like netting a starting-caliber small forward. If they nab Nash, they literally replace Calderon with him, if they don't they keep Calderon and the rest of their plans continue on unabated.

Comment

Working...
                                X