No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• now that it's accepted that Nash is coming to toronto in a sign and trade, what becomes of poor Jose? An expensive back up for sure and a salary that would have to be amnestied to make this all work. All for the sake of Canada. But who is the real Canadian? Jose has dedicated himself to this city ever since he was (not) drafted here seven years ago! He sort of lives here all through our frigid winter! If you cut him, does he not bleed as red as the Canadian flag? Hmmmmmm.....

Comment

• Toronto would then also have Calderon, whatever talented under achieving young guys Phoenix doesn't want and the #8 pick to work with to built a strong club right out of the gate.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        Toronto would then also have Calderon, whatever talented under achieving young guys Phoenix doesn't want and the #8 pick to work with to built a strong club right out of the gate.
        I agree. Don't see why, at this time, that Calderon would need to be amnestied. A solid PG who has indicated he wants to stay in the NBA after this contract at likely less for more years, and if not in longer term plans an experienced expiring pass first PG with lots of value up to the trade deadline. Since it is a S&T we don't need to am wary

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
          I agree. Don't see why, at this time, that Calderon would need to be amnestied. A solid PG who has indicated he wants to stay in the NBA after this contract at likely less for more years, and if not in longer term plans an experienced expiring pass first PG with lots of value up to the trade deadline. Since it is a S&T we don't need to am wary
          If Bayless and say the #56 pick (Pho would tell BC who to pick for them) were sent to Phoenix for Nash, I wonder if the Raps could use Calderon/Davis as the basis for a trade for a guy like Deng, without needing to include the #8 pick? Perhaps include a 2013 1st round pick (top 6 protected) with Calderon and Davis, for Deng.

IF Nash is coming to Toronto AND Drummond drops, I would love Toronto to trade #8 and #37 to Houston for #14 and #16. Houston could draft Drummond and Toronto could draft Rivers and Marshall. Rivers becomes the spark plug 6th man and Marshall learns from Nash, and together they would form a well balanced, skilled, intelligent backcourt of the future. Who knows, maybe Dalembert could even be included for the TPE ($7M expiring)? JJ could go to either Phoenix or Chicago.

C: Valanciunas, Dalembert
          PF: Bargnani, Amir
          SF: Deng, Kleiza
          SG: DeRozan, Rivers, Forbes
          PG: Nash, Marshall
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Sat Jun 23, 2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            C: Valanciunas, Dalembert
            PF: Bargnani, Amir
            SF: Deng, Kleiza
            SG: DeRozan, Rivers, Forbes
            PG: Nash, Marshall
            From what I've heard from BC, thats too many rookies.
            Mind you, he's been known for his smoke and mirrors, so maybe this is exactly the plan! Haha

But its hard to 'hit the ground running' when the kids are still finding their legs.

Comment

• Another geographically illiterate piece of reporting (in Joey's post above) re Canada, state, Portland and proximities blah blah. Damn, it pees me off to read stuff like that.

It seems that Nash lives in NYC to be close to his kids. I have a link below that sort of (not explicit) attests to this. Toronto would be much closer to NY than either the states (sic) of Portland and Phoenix....besides all of the reasons mentioned above. Nash I dont think is as fixated on the ring thing as some seem to believe.

http://timeoutnewyorkkids.com/guides...iew-steve-nash

Comment

• It would be great to have Nash on the team, but he's alwasy been surrounder by good shooters. I think if Nash plays for Toronto next season the Lillard pick makes even more sense. He's a good shooter and it would make sense to trade Jose, so Lillard would be the back up and learn under one of the greatest passers of all time.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                  It would be great to have Nash on the team, but he's alwasy been surrounder by good shooters. I think if Nash plays for Toronto next season the Lillard pick makes even more sense. He's a good shooter and it would make sense to trade Jose, so Lillard would be the back up and learn under one of the greatest passers of all time.
                  If Colangelo signs Nash he's not doing it mentor somebody in my opinion. If that's a secondary affect to the move then fine but if he gets Nash he's going to go all in on an accelerated play in my opinion. In other words, long term growth is tossed in the corner to make way for a higher probability of getting himself a new contact, to secure his employment past this season.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    It would be great to have Nash on the team, but he's alwasy been surrounder by good shooters. I think if Nash plays for Toronto next season the Lillard pick makes even more sense. He's a good shooter and it would make sense to trade Jose, so Lillard would be the back up and learn under one of the greatest passers of all time.
                    +1, my ideal situation
                    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                    ― John Wooden

Comment

• And to further elaborate on what I just said, if Colangelo feels a high probability of getting Nash I think he passes on drafting a prototypical PG. Rivers and Waiters would still make sense because you can argue either way on what position they would work best.

Comment

• While self preservation is an under lying motive of his I'm sure I can't see him being so obvious about his motives Apollo. It's like going way out of your way in kissing your bosses ass because there is a promotion you want. It's really transparent and your boss isn't going to give you that promotion. I think building a solid foundation with sustainable growth in mind will earn him a new contract over a quick fix that ends up putting us back in the same spot in two years whenNas retires. Just my opinion.

Comment

• The word is that Nash will go with a sign and trade (a la Bosh) as to not leave phoenix empty handed. Do we see a scenario where our 8th pick wouldn't be going in that trade? Not sure there will be someone there for Nash to mentor (unless his name is bayless)

Comment

• Steve Kyler's twitter:

Steve Nash tells SALM magzine --- "I’m not one of those people who believe I must win [a championship] to have a fulfilling career."
                            and...

More from NASH --- "so other factors, such as salary, family, playing time, and opportunity for team success all factor in."
                            “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                            ― John Wooden

Comment

• I really hope bringing Nash here would not involve trading the pick. This years draft SHOULD be the last time we have a pick in the lottery for a while. Not using it to acquire what should be another talented prospect is like saying that the current core of Bargs, DD and Val is good enough to contend as long as you can surround them with a few solid vets. I don't see that as being the case do you? We need a starting point of at least one if not two good young players to build around. JV could be one but let the guy play an NBA minut before trying to build around him.

Comment

• For what it's worth, John Hollinger in his last chat session, ranked Toronto second behind Phoenix for chances of landing Nash. If we get Nash, we can say goodbye to the chances of Barbosa ever returning :P.
                                -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                                -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Working...
                                X