No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes too much sense so it'll never happen.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
      You're not using statistics from this short season are you?

History shows that badly-run franchises tend to lose consistently while well-run franchises tend to win consistently. The Raptors have been a badly-run franchise from the beginning. Maybe Rogers/Bell will make the difference, but based on the Jays, I doubt it.
      If that's how you feel, then you must be a masochist to post on a fan website of such a "badly-run franchise."

Comment

It's a pretty sad day for me when posters want to believe a college player could work himself as the leader of the team.

Have the Raptors sunken so low?

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          It's a pretty sad day for me when posters want to believe a college player could work himself as the leader of the team.

I assume you mean Myck Kabongo. Who said he would be the leader of the team?

I can't speak for anyone else but in the situation I originally described I wouldn't see him starting for 2-3 years - basically when Nash was done.

Comment

In game 1 of the 2012-13 season, obviously not. You don't draft players (usually) for what they'll give you right away, you draft them for the player they will become.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I assume you mean Myck Kabongo. Who said he would be the leader of the team?

I can't speak for anyone else but in the situation I originally described I wouldn't see him starting for 2-3 years - basically when Nash was done.
              It was not you, Matt.

However, I would argue a plan based on acquiring two specific players, one via free agency and the other via the draft, is NOT a plan but rather a dream.

Dreams are fine and history has shown they sometime become reality. But when you're old, wise, and cranky like me, dreams are just ethereal gossamers ready to be destroyed at the first touch of reality.

Comment

It was not you, Matt.

However, I would argue a plan based on acquiring two specific players, one via free agency and the other via the draft, is NOT a plan but rather a dream.

Dreams are fine and history has shown they sometime become reality. But when you're old, wise, and cranky like me, dreams are just ethereal gossamers ready to be destroyed at the first touch of reality.
                You need a plan to know where you're going otherwise you're chasing your tail - which, funny enough, is what the Raptors franchise has been doing for 16 years it seems.

As for the original idea, a few things would have to happen but I don't think it is crazy. Attempting to sign 3 of the top 5 picks in very strong draft 7 years later would be dream-like and foolish...... ummmm..... nevermind.

Comment

Personally, I'd love to see Nash play out his final years here, but watching him play on that Phoenix team this year, you can tell it just eats him up that they're not in the playoff chase..and probably won't reach the post season. I'd much rather see him sign for the MLE with the Lakers and chase a ring - He deserves it- rather than coming to play here with a team that's still at least a good season or two away from reaching the post season.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    Personally, I'd love to see Nash play out his final years here, but watching him play on that Phoenix team this year, you can tell it just eats him up that they're not in the playoff chase..and probably won't reach the post season. I'd much rather see him sign for the MLE with the Lakers and chase a ring - He deserves it- rather than coming to play here with a team that's still at least a good season or two away from reaching the post season.
                    It seems like a daunting task, but I don't see why the Raptors can't be a playoff team next year. When Bargnani was healthy we were in playoff range this year. Next year, we'll be adding more talent, and if we added Nash, a healthy Bargnani, a proper training camp with Dwane, JV and our new rookie, plus another year of development with Demar/JJ/Davis - I think its possible.

We are in the Eastern conference too - a much easier conference to get into the playoffs with.

LAL is not getting past the first round this year - with or without Nash. If you want Nash on a contender, the better team would be a team like Miami, Dallas or even Indiana.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      It seems like a daunting task, but I don't see why the Raptors can't be a playoff team next year. When Bargnani was healthy we were in playoff range this year. Next year, we'll be adding more talent, and if we added Nash, a healthy Bargnani, a proper training camp with Dwane, JV and our new rookie, plus another year of development with Demar/JJ/Davis - I think its possible.

We are in the Eastern conference too - a much easier conference to get into the playoffs with.

LAL is not getting past the first round this year - with or without Nash. If you want Nash on a contender, the better team would be a team like Miami, Dallas or even Indiana.
                      Could the Raptors be a playoff team next season? Absolutely, however, you're counting on guys to progress - nor regress, and what moves they make the off-season. With Stefanski on board, it doesn't look like they're going to go after more veteran type FA's or through trade. It looks like they want to build the team with younger, more inexperienced players. You're counting on a lot of things to go right.

I don't know about Miami. LBJ is the primary ball handler on that team. So Miami is out. Dallas could be a possibility with Kidd off the books and with Nash and Nowitzki being bff's.

Comment

I can't speak for Nash personally, but the sense I get from him is. He would rather earn a championship than air drop in and chase one. It's sort of a cop out on a career to go somewhere in your final years just to get the ring. I don't buy that he would force or ask to be traded to a contender.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          As for the original idea, a few things would have to happen but I don't think it is crazy. Attempting to sign 3 of the top 5 picks in very strong draft 7 years later would be dream-like and foolish...... ummmm..... nevermind.
                          That's just plain silly Matt; you know as well as I did Pat Riley did not plan this 7 years in advance.

Not only that, but Riley made a big trade for Shaquille O'Neal and the Heat won a championship with Shaq and Wade.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                            I can't speak for Nash personally, but the sense I get from him is. He would rather earn a championship than air drop in and chase one. It's sort of a cop out on a career to go somewhere in your final years just to get the ring. I don't buy that he would force or ask to be traded to a contender.
                            Absolutely but he's not doing it with that roster.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

That's just plain silly Matt; you know as well as I did Pat Riley did not plan this 7 years in advance.

Not only that, but Riley made a big trade for Shaquille O'Neal and the Heat won a championship with Shaq and Wade.
                              I know it was not planned 7 years in advance. I either did a poor job conveying the thought or you misinterpreted the context.

Even if Riley only conceived the thought 6 months in advance, it was still crazy to think..... crazier to do.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                I 100% agree.

I'm not so certain though once he has earned the right to unrestricted free agency. If he was to leave Phoenix as an UFA, I still think Toronto would have a legit shot given the original points in the first post.

Comment

Working...
                                X