Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thead wrote: View Post
    I'm getting sick of waiting...I'm gonna go out...get drunk...sing karaoke....and leave any twitter source behind
    Could not agree more. When it's all said and done I will post a photo of the drink in my hand. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Comment

• minks77 wrote: View Post
      I disagree with this 100%. I love the idea of Nash in TDot but it never made sense beyond the money. It is not "home" for him (that'd be NYK or Victoria) and his NBA career is an entirely separate entity from his National Team duties. Always has been, always will be. Why is he the "one player most likely to sign with the Raptors"? Because of a passport?

The Raps are have not fielded an important team since VC/Tmac and that was for about 2.5 seasons. If you go into any sports store in the US you will not see raps gear anywhere because they are not and have not ever really been relevant. That changes in a heartbeat once the wins start to pile up but as it stands no one is lining up to go to Charlotte, SAC etc for the exact same reason. Nash is not a guarantee to make this team a winner on his own nor is he the ONLY option in building a winner and was, at best, a stopgap solution.
      It's all about perception though. I never implied that Nash 'had to' or 'should have' signed in Toronto. It's not Nash's or BC's fault, it's really more the fact that the rumor got into the media and then they ran with it, blowing the pursuit of a free agent into something far bigger, because of all the subplots and storylines. It became some grand national plan for the Raptors to acquire Nash, the prodigal son, and for the franchise's fortunes to turn around... yatta yatta yatta. Again, as anybody in marketing will tell you, perception is far more important an influencer than truth or fact. If a free agent is weighing his options - Toronto being one of them - he could very well think to himself "well Nash, a Canadian player, didn't even sign with the Raptors, why should i?". He won't know the reasons or rational behind Nash's decision, all he'll consider is the fact that Nash said "no".

I also agree with your second paragraph, but signing a 2-time MVP would certainly make the team better, put them into playoff contention (at least) and go a long way towards making the Toronto Raptors franchise relevant again. Nobody ever said Nash was the be-all-and-end-all of signings, who alone would catapult the Raptors into the playoffs, but he would be an excellent starting point to making the team better and helping them attract even more free agents for even further improvements. Lowry or Dragic certainly won't have near the impact (on the court or off the court) that Nash would have.

Comment

• If Nash disses the raptors he is a b???ch. He sold out Canada, he is basically leaving like 1-2 million dollars on the table to not play for the raptors. How embarrasing is that. People thought that we had a problem attracting free agents before, wait until this gets out "Steve Nash sells out his own country, and leaves 2 million per year on the table, cause he wants to win".

He hasn't played for Canada internationally for like 10 years, and guess what ... he is actually born in south africa, he probably doesn't even consider himself a real canadian. That is it, he is dead to me!

I posted earlier on this thread, that I thought that 36 million for 3 years to a 38 year old was not a sound decision. I will be glad if he doesn't come to Toronto. Lets use our money on a SF, Calderon is a very good PG.

Die Nash Die.
        Last edited by SuperRaptor; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 06:20 PM.
        "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• I would've preferred Lowry regardless, he is a better defender, he's younger, and an unbelievable rebounder at the PG position, not to mention a great scorer. I will be much happier if we can pull of something for Lowry instead of Nash.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• It almost feels like Nash's agent is trying to put the pressure on TO to get a bigger payout, but if thats true then using family matters as a negotiating tactic seems pretty slimy.

Comment

• Ok ... people need to RELAX. Holy sh*t!
              Nash hasn't come out and said ANYTHING. Until then, effing CHILL!!!!

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                In which case Phoenix is faced with the same problem BC was faced with when dealing away Bosh. Rock, meet hard place.

As I said in an earlier post, unless Nash just wants each team's offer/deal in place before he decides where he will be playing next season, this all speaks fairly clearly that Toronto is not his preferred destination. If it was, there'd be no point for NYK to even bother negotiating a potential S&T deal with Phoenix, especially after their initial one fell apart (due to Fields not being available).
                Wow, just got back from the golf course and there was a lot of reading to catch up on.

The above from Cal fan makes sense to me. I could see how Nash would want all the cards on the table before he makes his decision. Was BC's first offer his best. Would it not make sense to try to drive up your price. Nash is worth a small fortune to MLSE. He has business savvy and is no dummy. It would not be reasonable to think that he would be a slam dunk for TO. I think we are still in the game.

Is it a coincidence that we have 41 mil in committed salary 6.3 to fields and a 12 mil offer to Nash that totals dam near the salary cap number. This without amnestying Calderon. I'm still thinking we have a shot, but acknowledge I am in the minority here.

Comment

• David Aldridge David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

The Founders worked July 4, so...source confirms sign/trade talks between Knicks/Suns 4 Nash back on, w/NY now willing 2 include Shumpert.

David Aldridge ‏@daldridgetnt

However, another source cautions that Nash has yet to decide where he wants to go, &?Suns have to see if NO matches Eric Gordon offer sheet.

Back up the Brinks truck and hold the phone!

Aldridge is also not a NY reporter.

Comment

• We're going after Lowry.
                    Stein:
                    With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way
                    https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/st...21497138561024

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Ok ... people need to RELAX. Holy sh*t!
                      We'll try.

Although I wonder if you are also speaking to yourself?

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Ok ... people need to RELAX. Holy sh*t!
                        Goddammit Joey!

This is no time for cooler heads to prevail!

Comment

• Chris Rock pleads with the Knicks not to trade Shumpert, lol

Chris Rock ‏@chrisrock

Dear Knicks please don't trade shumpert does anybody Remeber Trevor ariza for Stevie Francis .
                          ... hopefully he gets his wish

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                            Thank. God.

Comment

• My poor nerves.

So, my heart is all torn up.

Also, I've been more interested/excited this offseason than I was all regular season, if that says anything about our basketball team.
                              Last edited by Seeten; Wed Jul 4, 2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                                Maybe you dont know...Nash is separated from his wife and the kids live with her. She has no reason to move anywhere.

This may be insurmountable

Comment

Working...
                                X