Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Post Thanks / Like

What is TO offering aside from a chance to play in Canada?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If Nash signed with Toronto for the minimum, he would make more money off endorsements than Miami could ever offer him.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Nash isn't that kind of dude. He signed a contract and we wanted to see it through. My impression is that he didn't want to be a 'glory hunter' or 'hired gun' kind of acquisition.
    I want to be optimistic, but I can't. Aren't the majority of his business ventures on the west coast - more notably, British Columbia? Isn't it a co-incidence that the Blazers have cap space and a need for a point guard? I think the Portland situation is a very intriguing one. I'd pit them as the favourites if he doesn't opt for Miami, Lakers or Mavericks.
    POR is intriguing, but all things considered, i'm not really sure they're in any better shape with respect to being legit contenders than are the raps. and yes, it is closer in proximity to his 'home' base, but TO is where the CDN national team is based, and he is running said team, so there's that.

mavs? you think he'd go back? for each of these teams, he'd have to play for significantly less...at this stage of his career (last contract), i'm not sure he'd be willing to give that much of a discount.

QUOTE=MangoKid;133360]What is TO offering aside from a chance to play in Canada? .[/QUOTE]

the 'chance to play in canada' is in reference to TO competing for his services with other teams that are in similar positions (i.e. rebuilding). yes, his best options to 'win now' are to join an established team, but just like you mentioned that he's not the kind of dude to bail on a contract, i think he's also not the kind of dude to karl malone his way to a situation in which he's just a bit player on an already potent team (say, if he were to join miami). i think he wants to go out on his terms, and if that means he goes ringless, then so be it.

FWIW, i personally don't a reason why he'd sign in TO, and i don't necessarily think it makes TO all that much better as a team. i'm simply stating that when the raps are mentioned
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
    If Nash signed with Toronto for the minimum, he would make more money off endorsements than Miami could ever offer him.
    i'm not sure that playing in TO would really make him that much more of a star in canada than he already is. there would definitely be more canada-centric ad campaigns featuring him, but the income earned by athletes for such campaigns in canada tend to pale in comparison to similar ones in the US. and there's always the risk that playing in another country on a team that isn't going to get much US media exposure could reduce his endorsement earnings stateside, thereby negating any increase in endorsement income generated by playing in TO. the fact that FLA has no state taxes needs to be factored into your specific example.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Post Thanks / Like

Nash isn't that kind of dude. He signed a contract and we wanted to see it through. My impression is that he didn't want to be a 'glory hunter' or 'hired gun' kind of acquisition.
    I want to be optimistic, but I can't. Aren't the majority of his business ventures on the west coast - more notably, British Columbia? Isn't it a co-incidence that the Blazers have cap space and a need for a point guard? I think the Portland situation is a very intriguing one. I'd pit them as the favourites if he doesn't opt for Miami, Lakers or Mavericks.
    Post 241 lays out some of his business ventures.

Can you think of a better way to expand nationally than to suit up for Canada's basketball team?

Post Thanks / Like

Timely story given the discussion here:

The chatter about Steve Nash’s future whipped up in earnest over the weekend, which isn’t surprising for two reasons:

1. Free agency is officially less than a month away now that we’re into June.

2. Nash and another NBA senior citizen -- Boston’s Kevin Garnett –--would appear to be the two most attractive unrestricted free agents on the 2012 market not named Deron Williams ... since no one expects Tim Duncan to give leaving San Antonio one millisecond of thought when Duncan theoretically joins Nash and KG on the open market July 1.

Nash himself, I’m told, is still days away from giving his future deep thought. He said many times late in the regular season that he’ll listen to any pitch that comes this summer, hoping that the next contract he signs -- preferably for three seasons -- will be his last. But he admitted last month at a press conference in Toronto that he hadn’t even started the process.

More, then, is known about the teams chasing Nash. It’s a list that still starts with the Phoenix Suns, who cling to the hope that they can keep the most beloved player in franchise history, but it’s also destined to be a longer list than you think once free agency actually starts, since Nash is seen around the league as far more gettable than D-Will.

Sources briefed on the matter told ESPN.com that the three teams with salary-cap space best positioned to make a credible run at the 38-year-old, at this early juncture, are Portland, Toronto and Brooklyn (should the Nets lose D-Will).

New York and Miami are also frequently mentioned as potential Nash destinations, but neither the Knicks nor the Heat have the requisite cap room to make a serious bid. The Blazers, offering the closest proximity to Nash’s Vancouver roots than anywhere else on the NBA map among other perks. Sources say that the Raptors, meanwhile, will be determined suitors in the Nash Sweepstakes, with a serious offer forthcoming to try to bring the newly installed general manager of Canada’s national team back to home soil after 16 seasons south of the border with the Suns and Mavericks.

Also: CSNChicago.com reported Sunday that the Chicago Bulls intend to join the Knicks and Heat on the list of glamour teams that will take a long-shot run at Nash. You can go ahead and put Dallas in that club, too, should the Mavericks fail in their attempt to bring DFW-area native D-Will home.

The New York Daily News, furthermore, reports that the Suns plan to “go all out” for Williams if they end up losing Nash. The safest forecast of them all: This won’t be the last story that mentions both Williams and Nash, since they’re two of the certifiable stars -- albeit at vastly different stages of their career -- in a free-agent class with precious few of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...for-steve-nash

Post Thanks / Like

What is TO offering aside from a chance to play in Canada?
    Expand his business ventures nationally.

Reunite with Jay Triano and Bryan Colangelo.

Alex McKechnie and Nash are friends. Leaving PHX and their training staff is difficult but coming to a world renowned trainer might make the transition much easier.

Closer to operations of Basketball Canada giving him the ability to be more hands on (I do not see Nash settling for a figurehead role - just my opinion, could be wrong, don't actually know the guy).

The challenge of helping return Toronto to the playoffs - and becoming more than just a playoff team.

There are players on Toronto (JV and Bargnani, in particular) that would excel (in my opinion) with his skills. By July 1st the talent on the roster might look very different than now as well.

Post Thanks / Like

More Nash talk - and his potential suitors:

Coveting Steve Nash: Don’t get too excited when you hear a team linked to Suns’ free agent Steve Nash. Whether it’s the Knicks, the Bulls, the HEAT, the Magic, the Lakers, the Raptors, the Nets or the Blazers… Nash will have his pick of situations in July and he has not even started thinking about that process.

Nash, who will turn 39 next February, is seeking a three-year deal this summer and word is more than half the league is willing to offer him something like that.

There will be no shortage of situations for Nash.

Word has is Nash and the Suns have agreed that if Nash is leaving Phoenix that the franchise would help facilitate a sign and trade deal to insure Steve gets the maximum dollars for his services and the Suns get something in return for him. Meaning all bets are off on where Nash lands, as cap space and exception money won’t be a huge factor.

The Suns have made it clear they would do a multi-year deal for Nash in the $10 million per year range to insure Nash stays in Phoenix.

There is still a very real shot that Nash, who has thrived in Phoenix’s environment, chooses to stay; however the Suns will have to make some serious roster improvements to be the front runner.

Nash’s connection with the support and medical staff in Phoenix is a real trump card, as Nash does have spondylolisthesis in his back, and that will factor into his decision. Nash has remained fairly healthy in Phoenix and has played far longer than most thought he would as a result. Nash routinely credits the Phoenix training staff as a key reason why.

Of the marquee would-be free agents, Nash is considered the more obtainable player, however before you get too excited, keep in mind almost everyone in the league is going to make a pass at Nash, and he’ll have an army of options in July.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-ken...-the-playmaker
    If the bold is true, then Portland and Toronto seem to be the favourites given the lack of trade assets teams like Miami, New York, LAL, Chicago, and Brooklyn will have to offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    More Nash talk - and his potential suitors:

If the bold is true, then Portland and Toronto seem to be the favourites given the lack of trade assets teams like Miami, New York, LAL, Chicago, and Brooklyn will have to offer.
    Would S&T of Nash for Calderon and perhaps the #56 pick be too easy, assuming Nash picks Toronto? Calderon essentially replaces Nash, salaries match and, as an expiring contract, Calderon would be a decent trade asset come deadline time. The #56 pick would be a low-risk add-on to say 'thanks'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Would S&T of Nash for Calderon and perhaps the #56 pick be too easy, assuming Nash picks Toronto? Calderon essentially replaces Nash, salaries match and, as an expiring contract, Calderon would be a decent trade asset come deadline time. The #56 pick would be a low-risk add-on to say 'thanks'.
    That does sound too easy - no offense!

Then again you never know with Phoenix. They appear to be the kings of 'settling' in recent years with multi-year, semi-expensive contracts to Childress, Warrick, Frye, and Brown. Now they are reported to have their sights set on Alonzo Gee at 4 years, $16M (now that could easily be his agent trying to up his value but given recent history it seems plausible).

If Nash is to come to Toronto, I do think Bayless is the key to any deal with him being young (23), talented, eager to start, and a hometown boy. Throw in a guy like Forbes and/or #56 and that could do it. I would not give up any first round picks - this year or future.

*EDIT*

If the Raptors trade their #8, I would strongly consider Bayless/DeMar for Nash/#13. Not sure Phoenix would be up for it. Assuming (big assumption) that #8 went out as part of a deal for Gay, DeRozan could be replaced at #13 if a guy like Lamb fell or Ross, Waiters, or Rivers was selected.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Jun 4th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Raptors trade their #8, I would strongly consider Bayless/DeMar for Nash/#13. Not sure Phoenix would be up for it. Assuming (big assumption) that #8 went out as part of a deal for Gay, DeRozan could be replaced at #13 if a guy like Lamb fell or Ross, Waiters, or Rivers was selected.
    If we flip #8 for Gay i would be ALL over this. Guys like Ross or Harkless should still be there and would fill out the roster nicely. Ross is a upgrade over Demar imho and i'm extremely intrigued by Harkless' potential. He could be our defensive wing much like George is for the pacers until he's ready to be the man.

Nash/Machado?/Ouzo
    Ross or Harkless/Forbes
    Gay/JJ/Kleiza
    Bargs/Ed/Amir
    JV/Gray

is drool worthy. a really nice blend of youth with talent and experience.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

That does sound too easy - no offense!

Then again you never know with Phoenix. They appear to be the kings of 'settling' in recent years with multi-year, semi-expensive contracts to Childress, Warrick, Frye, and Brown. Now they are reported to have their sights set on Alonzo Gee at 4 years, $16M (now that could easily be his agent trying to up his value but given recent history it seems plausible).

If Nash is to come to Toronto, I do think Bayless is the key to any deal with him being young (23), talented, eager to start, and a hometown boy. Throw in a guy like Forbes and/or #56 and that could do it. I would not give up any first round picks - this year or future.

*EDIT*

Can S&T be done prior to the July 1st date when free agency begins? If not, then draft picks wouldn't be able to get included in such deals.

You beat me to the other idea I had, which would be a mutual S&T deal of Nash for Bayless. Again, Bayless would be a straight positional replacement, could finally get his starting shot and would be playing in front of the hometown faithful. Perhaps a 2013 2nd round pick could be included in that deal.

I agree that I wouldn't give up any 1st round picks, even in a trade-down scenario. I understand Nash's desire to do-right by his former team, but technically he could just sign with Toronto if that's where he wants to go, so there's no reason for Toronto to giveup much in a S&T deal. Bayless and a future 2nd rounder seems fair to me.

Calderon then becomes an asset to use in another trade, allowing the team to even further improve. Man this is going to be an exciting offseason!

Post Thanks / Like

id probably flip amir for a solid backup PG. nash is going to need to play less minutes than he has in the past and has always been at his best when doing so.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can S&T be done prior to the July 1st date when free agency begins? If not, then draft picks wouldn't be able to get included in such deals.

You beat me to the other idea I had, which would be a mutual S&T deal of Nash for Bayless. Again, Bayless would be a straight positional replacement, could finally get his starting shot and would be playing in front of the hometown faithful. Perhaps a 2013 2nd round pick could be included in that deal.

I agree that I wouldn't give up any 1st round picks, even in a trade-down scenario. I understand Nash's desire to do-right by his former team, but technically he could just sign with Toronto if that's where he wants to go, so there's no reason for Toronto to giveup much in a S&T deal. Bayless and a future 2nd rounder seems fair to me.

Calderon then becomes an asset to use in another trade, allowing the team to even further improve. Man this is going to be an exciting offseason!
    My dream goal is to land both Gay and Nash. IMO, Bayless would be better off in Memphis, who desperately need a backup PG and a shooter (both of which Bayless could provide). I think Bayless+Amir+JJ+8 for Gay+25 would work there.

Phoenix has RFA rights on Brooks, and I see them capitalizing on it. For Nash since they won't have as much leverage, I think a trade of Davis+25+37 for Nash+13 could work. Phoenix drops in the lottery but would gain a valuable 2nd rounder (which would be non-guaranteed), and get a serviceable big with upside.

You could potentially throw in Kleiza or Forbes (or Alabi!) to make the pot sweeter for Phoenix, but again they won't have as much leverage so I wouldn't want to give too much away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    My dream goal is to land both Gay and Nash. IMO, Bayless would be better off in Memphis, who desperately need a backup PG and a shooter (both of which Bayless could provide). I think Bayless+Amir+JJ+8 for Gay+25 would work there.

Phoenix has RFA rights on Brooks, and I see them capitalizing on it. For Nash since they won't have as much leverage, I think a trade of Davis+25+37 for Nash+13 could work. Phoenix drops in the lottery but would gain a valuable 2nd rounder (which would be non-guaranteed), and get a serviceable big with upside.

You could potentially throw in Kleiza or Forbes (or Alabi!) to make the pot sweeter for Phoenix, but again they won't have as much leverage so I wouldn't want to give too much away.
    My thought about Memphis was to give them DeRozan & Amir & JJ & #8, for Gay & #25. They could then use the #8 pick to pickup their backup PG/scorer (ie: Lillard or Waiters).

That would then keep the Bayless & future 2nd rounder for Nash available, provided Calderon could be traded elsewhere (or could be part of a multi-team trade with Phoenix) or amnestied, to make room for Nash.

The Raps would then need to either draft, sign or trade for a starting SG (could be acquired in a multi-team Nash/Calderon trade) to replace DeRozan. Who knows, they could even try to sign Barbosa for vet minimum, as the backup SG.

C: Valanciunas, ???
    PF: Bargnani, Davis
    SF: Gay, Kleiza
    SG: ???, ???, Forbes
    PG: Nash, ???

+ #25 pick, #37 pick, #56 pick, MLE, Vet Exception, about $7-8M cap space (after Memphis trade and replacing Calderon with Nash)
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jun 4th, 2012 at 12:17 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought about Memphis was to give them DeRozan & Amir & JJ & #8, for Gay & #25. They could then use the #8 pick to pickup their backup PG/scorer (ie: Lillard or Waiters).

That would then keep the Bayless & future 2nd rounder for Nash available, provided Calderon could be traded elsewhere (or could be part of a multi-team trade with Phoenix) or amnestied, to make room for Nash.

The Raps would then need to either draft, sign or trade for a starting SG (could be acquired in a multi-team Nash/Calderon trade) to replace DeRozan. Who knows, they could even try to sign Barbosa for vet minimum, as the backup SG.

C: Valanciunas, Gray
    PF: Bargnani, Davis
    SF: Gay, Kleiza
    SG: ???, ???, Forbes
    PG: Nash, ???, Uzoh

+ #25 pick, #37 pick, #56 pick, MLE, Vet Exception
    I don't mind trading DeMar but it would leave a pretty big SG hole for us.. I think if Memphis trades Gay they would want to resign Mayo, and as such wouldn't need DeMar. Also the 8th pick could net them a SF who they could use to replace Gay. A guy like PJ3 would work for example. DeMar may be better off in Phoenix, but then I think that's giving too much away to a team that has no leverage.

I also like the pairing of Nash/Calderon. Calderon would be awesome as our leader of the 2nd unit (and would be happy doing it). He'd then become a great asset to work with at the deadline. Since we don't have a PG of the future, what's better than having two unselfish quarterbacks with high IQ's working with/against each other in practice.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not really huge on the back end of the first round in this draft
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I don't mind trading DeMar but it would leave a pretty big SG hole for us.. I think if Memphis trades Gay they would want to resign Mayo, and as such wouldn't need DeMar. Also the 8th pick could net them a SF who they could use to replace Gay. A guy like PJ3 would work for example. DeMar may be better off in Phoenix, but then I think that's giving too much away to a team that has no leverage.

I also like the pairing of Nash/Calderon. Calderon would be awesome as our leader of the 2nd unit (and would be happy doing it). He'd then become a great asset to work with at the deadline. Since we don't have a PG of the future, what's better than having two unselfish quarterbacks with high IQ's working with/against each other in practice.
    I suppose I was thinking that DeRozan could play SF in Memphis. Or, if Mayo really wants to play some PG (I remember reading a week or so ago that he said something to that regard), then perhaps DeRozan could shift between SF/SG with Memphis.

I would love a Nash/Calderon PG tandem for Toronto, but I don't see it happening. First, I don't think they could manage both financially, if they want to make any other moves this offseason. Second, I think paying your backup PG $10M is a waste of money and the waste of a tradeable resource (veteran pass-first PG on an expiring contract). Third, it makes more sense to try and find a young PG to mentor behind Calderon/Nash, in attempt to groom him into that PG of the future, rather than go forward with two PG who are both well over 30.

Post Thanks / Like

Sign and trades can't be done until July 1st and cannot be executed until July 11th.

Drafted players (i.e. the rights to a drafted player) can be traded after July 1st/July 11th provided they have not signed their contract. Think when the JO/Ford deal went down with Hibbert's rights traded.

Post Thanks / Like

Sign and trades can't be done until July 1st and cannot be executed until July 11th.

Drafted players (i.e. the rights to a drafted player) can be traded after July 1st/July 11th provided they have not signed their contract. Think when the JO/Ford deal went down with Hibbert's rights traded.
    That's what I thought, which made me realized the idea of including a draft pick from this year wouldn't work in any S&T deals for Nash, unless Toronto was essentially picking for Phoenix with a deal already unofficially agreed upon.

Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information