Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    That's what I thought, which made me realized the idea of including a draft pick from this year wouldn't work in any S&T deals for Nash, unless Toronto was essentially picking for Phoenix with a deal already unofficially agreed upon.
    Here is an interesting proposition:

DD/JB for Nash/13

Draft Waiters.

Sign Danny Green (MLE?)

Nash
    Green
    Gay
    Barg
    JV

with Waiters as 6th man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Here is an interesting proposition:

DD/JB for Nash/13

Draft Waiters.

Sign Danny Green (MLE?)

Nash
    Green
    Gay
    Barg
    JV

with Waiters as 6th man.
    Interesting, but I think it would be a hard sell to the Phoenix fans to justify trading away both Nash AND the #13 pick. If (and its a big if) Toronto could get Gay and the #25 pick from Memphis, without having to include DeRozan, then that deal could work if the #25 pick was also sent to Phoenix (DD/JB/#25 for Nash/#13). I guess it comes down to whether Phoenix fans would be more accepting of a true rebuild that starts with DeRozan or the #13 pick... this all would have to get done after the draft as well, so the rookies in question would be known quantities, not just the hope associated with a particular pick #.

Plus there's still the small matter of figuring out what to do with Calderon first, in order to free up enough cap space to acquire Nash, especially if this deal goes down after a Memphis deal.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jun 4th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, but I think it would be a hard sell to the Phoenix fans to justify trading away both Nash AND the #13 pick. If (and its a big if) Toronto could get Gay and the #25 pick from Memphis, without having to include DeRozan, then that deal could work if the #25 pick was also sent to Phoenix (DD/JB/#25 for Nash/#13). I guess it comes down to whether Phoenix fans would be more accepting of a true rebuild that starts with DeRozan or the #13 pick...
    I'd take Bayless and DD over #13 and Alonzo Gee

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sign and trades can't be done until July 1st and cannot be executed until July 11th.

Drafted players (i.e. the rights to a drafted player) can be traded after July 1st/July 11th provided they have not signed their contract. Think when the JO/Ford deal went down with Hibbert's rights traded.

Extend and trades would be possible I believe? However there would be a 2 year limitation. The max we could offer would be in the range about 12.2 mil per year a little higher than the 10 being discussed here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jbml wrote: View Post
    Extend and trades would be possible I believe? However there would be a 2 year limitation. The max we could offer would be in the range about 12.2 mil per year a little higher than the 10 being discussed here.
    I do not think an extend and trade is applicable here because there is no player option for next year or time left on the contract.

I think there must be time left on the original contract to do an extend and trade.

I am not certain though.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

91. Can a player be given an extension and traded at the same time?
    Similar to a sign-and-trade arrangement (see question number 88), a team may sign an eligible player to an extension (see question number 58) and immediately trade him to another team. Such an "extend-and-trade" is limited to three seasons, which include any seasons remaining on the player's current contract1. The salary in the first season of the extension can have a 4.5% raise over the last season of the existing contract, and subsequent raises are limited to 4.5% of the salary in the first season of the extension.

A player cannot be traded in an extend-and-trade after the season (for example, on draft day) in the last season of his contract, or in any season that might be the last season due to an option or ETO.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q91

Correct once again Matt

Post Thanks / Like

In order to make room for Nash, any thoughts on a 3-team trade:

To Toronto: Nash & Matthews
    To Phoenix: Bayless & #56 pick (Toronto would select for Phoenix) or 2013 2nd round pick
    To Portland: Calderon (& possibly #37 pick, that Toronto would select for Portland)

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO, Toronto is far from Nash's destination choice, unless BC makes him a franchise player, promises him to make this team into a contender within the 1st year of Nash's contract and gives him full authority on which players to sign/trade for.

I know Nash has been vocal about his desire to come "home" to Toronto, but realistically, there's nothing for him here. He won't win a ring, and the basketball market is really not that big for him to earn millions and millions of dollars.

Even if he ditches Toronto, he knows he'll somehow end up here anyways after retirement, either a frontline job with the Raptors or the Canadian Men's team, and all will be forgiven.

Post Thanks / Like

In order to make room for Nash, any thoughts on a 3-team trade:

To Toronto: Nash & Matthews
    To Phoenix: Bayless & #56 pick (Toronto would select for Phoenix) or 2013 2nd round pick
    To Portland: Calderon (& possibly #37 pick, that Toronto would select for Portland)
    That would be fantastic, but clearly favoring us.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Olshey, he wants to put all of his efforts into gathering all the information necessary for the upcoming draft, then the next step would be contacting current Trail Blazer players, and finally focusing on the head coach position and that will likely be during the free agency period.

Speaking of the free agency period, Steve Nash to Portland may not be an option with Olshey at the helm. He's not interesting in bringing in veterans for momentary success.

I want to make it clear, we're not looking for quick fixes, Olshey said. We're not looking for aging veterans that can slide us into the eighth spot and we're right back here a year from now trying to figure out what to do.

http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingbl...06&feedID=5212
    Portland not an option for Nash?

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yaaaay

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Olshey, he wants to put all of his efforts into gathering all the information necessary for the upcoming draft, then the next step would be contacting current Trail Blazer players, and finally focusing on the head coach position and that will likely be during the free agency period.

Speaking of the free agency period, Steve Nash to Portland may not be an option with Olshey at the helm. He's not interesting in bringing in veterans for momentary success.

“I want to make it clear, we're not looking for quick fixes,” Olshey said. “We're not looking for aging veterans that can slide us into the eighth spot and we're right back here a year from now trying to figure out what to do.”

Wow. That's harsh. Is he insinuating that veterans are only good for getting teams to the 8th spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Wow. That's harsh. Is he insinuating that veterans are only good for getting teams to the 8th spot?
    There has been a lot of speculation about Nash to Portland. I think he was speaking indirectly to that situation. Portland has been searching for a PG for a few years now (ever since they though Miller was getting too old). I guess the thought is if we get Nash we might make the playoffs and then back to the situation of trying to find a PG.

I'm sure many will ask/think, what is the difference between Portland and Toronto? I think the difference is Toronto would have a full roster in place with the search for a future PG ongoing and (barring injury *knock on wood*) 2 years before it becomes urgent.

I'd love to see Nash sign and Machado drafted at #37. If Machado doesn't pan out (and he most likely would not) then they have next year's draft and free agency and the same with the following year.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nash considering New York

All-Star point guard Steve Nash, an unrestricted free agent, said Wednesday that he would weigh an offer from the New York Knicks, should they choose to make one.

"The Knicks are a great franchise and I live in New York City (each summer), so I'd definitely consider them if they were interested," the Phoenix Suns' mainstay said at a promotional appearance in Manhattan.

The Knicks, however, will be hampered in free agency. Because they likely will lose out in early-bird rights arbitration, which hasn't been decided yet, they'll only have veterans' minimum contracts to offer free agents. And that's if Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak don't re-sign, which is highly doubtful.

Also at Wednesday's event was Knicks legend and MSG Network analyst Walt Frazier, who told Nash, "We need you to come to New York!"

Nash said he was "flattered" to hear that from Frazier, who believes the Knicks need to land a veteran point guard. Nash is the front-runner in that class of free agents -- which also includes Andre Miller, Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton -- and that means he'll likely fetch a mid-level-like, multiyear deal.

Nash, who's 38, said he doesn't feel old and wants to play two to three more years. He won't make a decision about his destination until after free agency begins July 1.

"I want to wait and see what's actually on the table," he said. "I'm open and excited. I'm looking at every possibility right now."

Some insiders believe Nash will first consider the Mavericks, his former team, and the Nets, if Deron Williams doesn't re-sign. The Heat are also a possibility.

If Nash came to New York, he would be reunited with Amare Stoudemire. They dominated in the pick-and-roll to lead the Suns to four postseason appearances, including trips to the Western Conference finals in 2005 and 2010.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...onsider-knicks
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose Nash is asked the question everywhere he goes...and he tries to be similarly diplomatic each time...no doors closed. He'd probably say something pretty close if he were making a promotional appearance in TO with the slight change of him being Canadian and how great it would be to finish his career here

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa Nash just mentioned the raps as on his 3 team shortlist
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Whoa Nash just mentioned the raps as on his 3 team shortlist
    WTF ceez. You can't post something like that without providing a source. C'mon man. I'm dying here!
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2...eam_shortlist/

I scammed the link off my mobile. it's on sportsnet if the link doesn't work

Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash has a
    shortlist of three teams, one of which is
    Toronto, sources have told Sportsnet 590 The
    Fan's Eric Smith.
    "I heard from national-media types from
    around the U.S., and at least one prominent
    agent as well, that believe that Steve Nash
    has a shortlist," Smith said.
    "From what I have heard from these people,
    and they could be wrong, but these are
    coming from some pretty legitimate sources,
    it is a three-team race for Steve Nash in free
    agency: Portland, Phoenix and Toronto,"
    Smith explained.
    NBA analyst Jack Armstrong, who was a
    guest on Smith's show, liked the Raptors
    odds against the Suns and Blazers in the
    battle for the Canadian point guard's
    services.
    "I like Toronto's chances. I really do. I think
    they are going to make a major push for
    him. I think the connections are there from
    a personality perspective, with Brian
    Colangelo and Jay Triano, and the fact that
    he is now the GM of Canada Basketball,"
    Armstrong explained.
    "It's not (only) about these three years, and it
    is, but it is also about the next 30 years and
    what market gives you the best opportunities
    in terms of your business interests and long-
    term opportunities in terms of promotion
    and business and being a face of a team," he
    said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/2...eam_shortlist/

I scammed the link off my mobile. it's on sportsnet if the link doesn't work

Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash has a
    shortlist of three teams, one of which is
    Toronto, sources have told Sportsnet 590 The
    Fan's Eric Smith.
    "I heard from national-media types from
    around the U.S., and at least one prominent
    agent as well, that believe that Steve Nash
    has a shortlist," Smith said.
    "From what I have heard from these people,
    and they could be wrong, but these are
    coming from some pretty legitimate sources,
    it is a three-team race for Steve Nash in free
    agency: Portland, Phoenix and Toronto,"
    Smith explained.
    NBA analyst Jack Armstrong, who was a
    guest on Smith's show, liked the Raptors
    odds against the Suns and Blazers in the
    battle for the Canadian point guard's
    services.
    "I like Toronto's chances. I really do. I think
    they are going to make a major push for
    him. I think the connections are there from
    a personality perspective, with Brian
    Colangelo and Jay Triano, and the fact that
    he is now the GM of Canada Basketball,"
    Armstrong explained.
    "It's not (only) about these three years, and it
    is, but it is also about the next 30 years and
    what market gives you the best opportunities
    in terms of your business interests and long-
    term opportunities in terms of promotion
    and business and being a face of a team," he
    said.
    I'm surprised that Dallas isn't on that list. If accurate, then it very well could down to Nash going to Portland/Toronto and Lillard going to the other team, via the #6/8 pick in the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mango.

But if the "sources" aren't Nash himself, I'll refrain from getting my hopes up

Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information