Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    You're setting yourself for a lot of heartachce, man. A lot.

The fact that he mentioned Miami is pretty significant. Nash on the Heat means that it takes a lot of pressure off of Lebron (and Wade) to create. I think Nash to the Lakers makes more sense. They would have more of a need for him than the Heat.
    Not really feeling the heartache. I can think of positives and negatives to both Nash signing or not. There is no emotion in this for me.

The reality is he mentioned Miami after a question was asked of him. Nash is a classy guy he spoke highly of the HEAT and LeBron while committing neither yes or no but rather a, "I will listen." I'm sure he would have given the same answer to just about any team in the league - Toronto included.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Not really feeling the heartache. I can think of positives and negatives to both Nash signing or not. There is no emotion in this for me.

The reality is he mentioned Miami after a question was asked of him. Nash is a classy guy he spoke highly of the HEAT and LeBron while committing neither yes or no but rather a, "I will listen." I'm sure he would have given the same answer to just about any team in the league - Toronto included.
      That's cool that there's no emotion for you linked to whether Nash comes or not - That you wouldn't want to go to the Raptors' offices and shoot it up if they fail to sign him.

I understand what the reality is of Nash being asked the prospect of signing in Miami. I realize he'll listen to all offers sent his way, however, I also know the reality of being used as a pawn, and that is a very real possibility, something that shouldn't be discounted. Players play the game for a ring, a champion, and I believe Nash will want to put himself into a position for that to occur.

Comment

That's cool that there's no emotion for you linked to whether Nash comes or not - That you wouldn't want to go to the Raptors' offices and shoot it up if they fail to sign him.

I understand what the reality is of Nash being asked the prospect of signing in Miami. I realize he'll listen to all offers sent his way, however, I also know the reality of being used as a pawn, and that is a very real possibility, something that shouldn't be discounted. Players play the game for a ring, a champion, and I believe Nash will want to put himself into a position for that to occur.
        lol - I'm sure all the Raptor front office personnel scouring this website to get the pulse of the rabid Raptor fan will breathe a collective sigh of relief now.

Comment

We're totally the pawns. We're the old-Clippers of the East. The Clippers would have all the cap room in the world and free agents would use the Clippers' offer in contract negotiations with other teams to get better terms in their salary. The biggest one that comes to mind is Kobe Bryant using the Clippers to get a better termed contract from the Lakers.
          Like you said, he has business endeavors that makes him money. I don't think he wants to be remembered as a guy to be one of the best guys ever to play the game and not to win a ring.
          You're right in the sense that he's not guaranteed to win anything going to a particular team, but he's got a better shot going to a team like the Heat or Lakers than the Raptors. He already planted the Miami seed earlier in th year.
          i'm not sure the analogy fits...the only reason the raps are being mentioned as a possible destination is entirely based on his nationality & the location of the raptor franchise. yes, the raps have $$ to spend, but so do many other shyte teams who aren't 'contenders' for his services.

further - i mentioned this earlier, either in this thread or on the 'other' RR site, but i don't get the impression that nash is looking to 'chase' a ring...if he was, he could have made that choice at any point over the last few seasons, when it became apparent that the suns weren't legit contenders. wherever he chooses play, he'll make that decision based on a multitude of factors, and certainly among them will be the quality of the team (obviously, he WANTS to win)...but if he plans to play for another 3 years, i can see him signing with a team that's got the potential to be a contender within that time frame, but that who isn't there just yet. there are certainly better fits from a strictly basketball perspective, but none of those teams offer what TO can.
          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
            i'm not sure the analogy fits...the only reason the raps are being mentioned as a possible destination is entirely based on his nationality & the location of the raptor franchise. yes, the raps have $$ to spend, but so do many other shyte teams who aren't 'contenders' for his services.

further - i mentioned this earlier, either in this thread or on the 'other' RR site, but i don't get the impression that nash is looking to 'chase' a ring...if he was, he could have made that choice at any point over the last few seasons, when it became apparent that the suns weren't legit contenders. wherever he chooses play, he'll make that decision based on a multitude of factors, and certainly among them will be the quality of the team (obviously, he WANTS to win)...but if he plans to play for another 3 years, i can see him signing with a team that's got the potential to be a contender within that time frame, but that who isn't there just yet. there are certainly better fits from a strictly basketball perspective, but none of those teams offer what TO can.

Nash isn't that kind of dude. He signed a contract and we wanted to see it through. My impression is that he didn't want to be a 'glory hunter' or 'hired gun' kind of acquisition.
            I want to be optimistic, but I can't. Aren't the majority of his business ventures on the west coast - more notably, British Columbia? Isn't it a co-incidence that the Blazers have cap space and a need for a point guard? I think the Portland situation is a very intriguing one. I'd pit them as the favourites if he doesn't opt for Miami, Lakers or Mavericks.

Comment

• What is TO offering aside from a chance to play in Canada?

Comment

• If Nash signed with Toronto for the minimum, he would make more money off endorsements than Miami could ever offer him.

Comment

Nash isn't that kind of dude. He signed a contract and we wanted to see it through. My impression is that he didn't want to be a 'glory hunter' or 'hired gun' kind of acquisition.
                  I want to be optimistic, but I can't. Aren't the majority of his business ventures on the west coast - more notably, British Columbia? Isn't it a co-incidence that the Blazers have cap space and a need for a point guard? I think the Portland situation is a very intriguing one. I'd pit them as the favourites if he doesn't opt for Miami, Lakers or Mavericks.
                  POR is intriguing, but all things considered, i'm not really sure they're in any better shape with respect to being legit contenders than are the raps. and yes, it is closer in proximity to his 'home' base, but TO is where the CDN national team is based, and he is running said team, so there's that.

mavs? you think he'd go back? for each of these teams, he'd have to play for significantly less...at this stage of his career (last contract), i'm not sure he'd be willing to give that much of a discount.

QUOTE=MangoKid;133360]What is TO offering aside from a chance to play in Canada? .[/QUOTE]

the 'chance to play in canada' is in reference to TO competing for his services with other teams that are in similar positions (i.e. rebuilding). yes, his best options to 'win now' are to join an established team, but just like you mentioned that he's not the kind of dude to bail on a contract, i think he's also not the kind of dude to karl malone his way to a situation in which he's just a bit player on an already potent team (say, if he were to join miami). i think he wants to go out on his terms, and if that means he goes ringless, then so be it.

FWIW, i personally don't a reason why he'd sign in TO, and i don't necessarily think it makes TO all that much better as a team. i'm simply stating that when the raps are mentioned

Comment

• KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
                    If Nash signed with Toronto for the minimum, he would make more money off endorsements than Miami could ever offer him.
                    i'm not sure that playing in TO would really make him that much more of a star in canada than he already is. there would definitely be more canada-centric ad campaigns featuring him, but the income earned by athletes for such campaigns in canada tend to pale in comparison to similar ones in the US. and there's always the risk that playing in another country on a team that isn't going to get much US media exposure could reduce his endorsement earnings stateside, thereby negating any increase in endorsement income generated by playing in TO. the fact that FLA has no state taxes needs to be factored into your specific example.

Comment

Post 241 lays out some of his business ventures.

Can you think of a better way to expand nationally than to suit up for Canada's basketball team?

Comment

• Timely story given the discussion here:

The chatter about Steve Nash’s future whipped up in earnest over the weekend, which isn’t surprising for two reasons:

1. Free agency is officially less than a month away now that we’re into June.

2. Nash and another NBA senior citizen -- Boston’s Kevin Garnett –--would appear to be the two most attractive unrestricted free agents on the 2012 market not named Deron Williams ... since no one expects Tim Duncan to give leaving San Antonio one millisecond of thought when Duncan theoretically joins Nash and KG on the open market July 1.

Nash himself, I’m told, is still days away from giving his future deep thought. He said many times late in the regular season that he’ll listen to any pitch that comes this summer, hoping that the next contract he signs -- preferably for three seasons -- will be his last. But he admitted last month at a press conference in Toronto that he hadn’t even started the process.

More, then, is known about the teams chasing Nash. It’s a list that still starts with the Phoenix Suns, who cling to the hope that they can keep the most beloved player in franchise history, but it’s also destined to be a longer list than you think once free agency actually starts, since Nash is seen around the league as far more gettable than D-Will.

Sources briefed on the matter told ESPN.com that the three teams with salary-cap space best positioned to make a credible run at the 38-year-old, at this early juncture, are Portland, Toronto and Brooklyn (should the Nets lose D-Will).

New York and Miami are also frequently mentioned as potential Nash destinations, but neither the Knicks nor the Heat have the requisite cap room to make a serious bid. The Blazers, offering the closest proximity to Nash’s Vancouver roots than anywhere else on the NBA map among other perks. Sources say that the Raptors, meanwhile, will be determined suitors in the Nash Sweepstakes, with a serious offer forthcoming to try to bring the newly installed general manager of Canada’s national team back to home soil after 16 seasons south of the border with the Suns and Mavericks.

Also: CSNChicago.com reported Sunday that the Chicago Bulls intend to join the Knicks and Heat on the list of glamour teams that will take a long-shot run at Nash. You can go ahead and put Dallas in that club, too, should the Mavericks fail in their attempt to bring DFW-area native D-Will home.

The New York Daily News, furthermore, reports that the Suns plan to “go all out” for Williams if they end up losing Nash. The safest forecast of them all: This won’t be the last story that mentions both Williams and Nash, since they’re two of the certifiable stars -- albeit at vastly different stages of their career -- in a free-agent class with precious few of them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...for-steve-nash

Comment

What is TO offering aside from a chance to play in Canada?
                          Expand his business ventures nationally.

Reunite with Jay Triano and Bryan Colangelo.

Alex McKechnie and Nash are friends. Leaving PHX and their training staff is difficult but coming to a world renowned trainer might make the transition much easier.

Closer to operations of Basketball Canada giving him the ability to be more hands on (I do not see Nash settling for a figurehead role - just my opinion, could be wrong, don't actually know the guy).

The challenge of helping return Toronto to the playoffs - and becoming more than just a playoff team.

There are players on Toronto (JV and Bargnani, in particular) that would excel (in my opinion) with his skills. By July 1st the talent on the roster might look very different than now as well.

Comment

• More Nash talk - and his potential suitors:

Coveting Steve Nash: Don’t get too excited when you hear a team linked to Suns’ free agent Steve Nash. Whether it’s the Knicks, the Bulls, the HEAT, the Magic, the Lakers, the Raptors, the Nets or the Blazers… Nash will have his pick of situations in July and he has not even started thinking about that process.

Nash, who will turn 39 next February, is seeking a three-year deal this summer and word is more than half the league is willing to offer him something like that.

There will be no shortage of situations for Nash.

Word has is Nash and the Suns have agreed that if Nash is leaving Phoenix that the franchise would help facilitate a sign and trade deal to insure Steve gets the maximum dollars for his services and the Suns get something in return for him. Meaning all bets are off on where Nash lands, as cap space and exception money won’t be a huge factor.

The Suns have made it clear they would do a multi-year deal for Nash in the $10 million per year range to insure Nash stays in Phoenix.

There is still a very real shot that Nash, who has thrived in Phoenix’s environment, chooses to stay; however the Suns will have to make some serious roster improvements to be the front runner.

Nash’s connection with the support and medical staff in Phoenix is a real trump card, as Nash does have spondylolisthesis in his back, and that will factor into his decision. Nash has remained fairly healthy in Phoenix and has played far longer than most thought he would as a result. Nash routinely credits the Phoenix training staff as a key reason why.

Of the marquee would-be free agents, Nash is considered the more obtainable player, however before you get too excited, keep in mind almost everyone in the league is going to make a pass at Nash, and he’ll have an army of options in July.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-ken...-the-playmaker
                            If the bold is true, then Portland and Toronto seem to be the favourites given the lack of trade assets teams like Miami, New York, LAL, Chicago, and Brooklyn will have to offer.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              More Nash talk - and his potential suitors:

If the bold is true, then Portland and Toronto seem to be the favourites given the lack of trade assets teams like Miami, New York, LAL, Chicago, and Brooklyn will have to offer.
                              Would S&T of Nash for Calderon and perhaps the #56 pick be too easy, assuming Nash picks Toronto? Calderon essentially replaces Nash, salaries match and, as an expiring contract, Calderon would be a decent trade asset come deadline time. The #56 pick would be a low-risk add-on to say 'thanks'.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Would S&T of Nash for Calderon and perhaps the #56 pick be too easy, assuming Nash picks Toronto? Calderon essentially replaces Nash, salaries match and, as an expiring contract, Calderon would be a decent trade asset come deadline time. The #56 pick would be a low-risk add-on to say 'thanks'.
                                That does sound too easy - no offense!

Then again you never know with Phoenix. They appear to be the kings of 'settling' in recent years with multi-year, semi-expensive contracts to Childress, Warrick, Frye, and Brown. Now they are reported to have their sights set on Alonzo Gee at 4 years, $16M (now that could easily be his agent trying to up his value but given recent history it seems plausible).

If Nash is to come to Toronto, I do think Bayless is the key to any deal with him being young (23), talented, eager to start, and a hometown boy. Throw in a guy like Forbes and/or #56 and that could do it. I would not give up any first round picks - this year or future.

*EDIT*

If the Raptors trade their #8, I would strongly consider Bayless/DeMar for Nash/#13. Not sure Phoenix would be up for it. Assuming (big assumption) that #8 went out as part of a deal for Gay, DeRozan could be replaced at #13 if a guy like Lamb fell or Ross, Waiters, or Rivers was selected.
                                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Jun 4, 2012, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X