Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jbml wrote: View Post
    and if this is the scenario, we would still have to relinquish our exemptions and cap holds ( to make an offer above the mid level or through a sign and trade) as I believe we would be acting above the cap.

I guess my point through all this is that I am looking for ways not to amnesty Calderon. He has to have value throughout the league that I would not want to see us lose.
    If the S&T was Calderon for Nash (@$12M), the Raps would only be adding $1.5M to their team salary. Since they have about $7M cap space available ($12M - $4M for Bayless QO - $1M for Weems QO), they would have plenty of cap room to make it work, without having to renounce Bayless/Weems.

They would likely renounce/trade Bayless and/or Weems if they wanted to make a substantial offer to a guy like Batum. Without renouncing Bayless/Weems, the max offer they could do would be $5.5M. Once they remove Bayless & Weems, they'd have about $10.5M available to throw at Batum. That would only take them up to the salary cap, not even over it.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level (either the Taxpayer or Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level, whichever applies to the team) and/or trade exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap1.
    add these exemptions to our cap holds

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

Jerryd Bayless $9,126,840
    Julian Wright $8,574,171
    Aaron Gray $3,000,000
    Sonny Weems $1,145,125
    Jamaal Magloire $854,389
    Alan Anderson $854,389
    Ben Uzoh $854,38
    i am still thinking we would be above the cap and subject to these restrictions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote jbml wrote: View Post

add these exemptions to our cap holds

i am still thinking we would be above the cap and subject to these restrictions
    Bayless' QO was $4.2M and Weems' was just over $1M.
    Gray, Magloire, Anderson and Uzoh are all UFA, so they don't have any cap holds.
    If Wright is still on the books, I don't think BC would hesitate at all before renouncing him.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I understand cap holds and Q offers are not the same thing.

What is a cap hold? A cap hold is the amount of space a free agent counts towards a team’s cap. These “cap holds” factor in when a team signs free agents. If they didn’t exist, a team could use their cap space to sign other free agents until the space was gone, and then re-sign their own free agents using the Bird exception. A cap hold cannot exceed the maximum contract offer that player can receive on the open market (as defined by years of experience – indicated in the table above by MAX followed by the years of experience). The cap hold disappears if the team renounces their own free agent, that free agent signs with a new team, or re-signs with the same team.
    As far as wright goes for sure, but the 7 mil trade exemption the 5 mil mid level and the bi annual could be lost with a large ( under cap ) offer to batum

As well if we sign and trade for Nash are we now subjected to the above cap rules as the S and t is an exemption for above cap teams ??

For example, assume there is a $58 million salary cap, and during the offseason a team has $50 million committed to salaries, along with a Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception for $5 million, a trade exception for $2.5 million, and an unrenounced free agent whose free agent amount is $2 million. Their salaries and exceptions total $59.5 million, or $1.5 million over the cap. What if their free agent signs with another team? The $2 million free agent amount comes off their cap, so their team salary (including their remaining exceptions) drops to $57.5 million. This total is below the cap so the team loses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level and trade exceptions.
    Last edited by jbml; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 02:26 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Source says Toronto's reported 3-year, $36M offer made to Steve Nash this morning is "false.''
    by NYPost_Berman via twitter 12:18 PM
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    TSN joins the party: http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399676

Rumor is that Toronto has offered Nash 3yr/$36M, as had been previously rumored.
    Not sure if we can trust TSN on this one. Check out their story on Lewis getting bought out (or more importantly, the picture).
    http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399660
    Not to mention, I was listening to their morning radio show the other day and the main host listed off the raptors starting five saying our starting small forward is Ed Davis. This guy has his own show!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Not sure if we can trust TSN on this one. Check out their story on Lewis getting bought out (or more importantly, the picture).
    http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=399660
    Not to mention, I was listening to their morning radio show the other day and the main host listed off the raptors starting five saying our starting small forward is Ed Davis. This guy has his own show!
    True, but I had read the same rumor on both ESPN and CNNSI.

Until I see a headline that reads "Nash picks Toronto; teams now negotiating S&T deal", where BC is quoted as confirming the team's signing of Nash, I will remain skeptical but hopeful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    True, but I had read the same rumor on both ESPN and CNNSI.

Until I see a headline that reads "Nash picks Toronto; teams now negotiating S&T deal", where BC is quoted as confirming the team's signing of Nash, I will remain skeptical but hopeful!
    sorry....should have put a smiley/sarcastic face after that one. I believe the story (although, ironically, just came across a ny post tweet saying it is "false"). I was just doubting TSN's basketball insight because of the link i included. Check it out

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

RE this S&T arrangement Nash has with the Suns, this is a mutual one of good faith by Nash. He did not have to do this. The Suns only leverage is Nash's goodwill to his old team. Period. I suppose this is going to come down to Nash making his choice first of a team (based on whatever his priorities are) and on the understanding with that team that he will only join them based on a trade arrangement with PHX who will then try for the best deal they can....but they are really in no position to dictate.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

S&T Nash for Jose would be amazing -- essentially upgrading our point position & giving Jose to a team with tremendous medical staff and faciities, to extend his career. I love Jose man. This guy deserves to retire as a Raptor.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I do to. The guy has been so solid both as a player and a person amid all the crud times. If Nash accepts the Raps offer I can see Jose going to the Suns. That would be the best outcome for all I believe (except that Nash gives up on a ring). I cant see the money being any better.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Confirmed Raptors offer Nash 3 years 36 million fully guaranteed

The Toronto Raptors have offered free-agent point guard Steve Nash a three-year, $36 million contract, according to sources.

Nash, a two-time NBA MVP, has spent the past eight seasons with the Phoenix Suns, but has made it a point in recent interviews to stress that he's "open to everything" and say he'll listen to any team that calls. However, industry sources monitoring the free-agent market have identified Toronto as one of four team that pose the greatest danger to the Suns in terms of signing Nash away, including the Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks and Brooklyn Nets.

It has been widely anticipated that Phoenix would offer him a new two-year deal worth at least $20 million, but it remains to be seen how far Suns owner Robert Sarver will go when the bids start coming in. The Arizona Republic's Paul Coro reported Friday night that the Suns "do not appear willing to meet (Nash's) wish for a three-year deal" and Suns officials are already fighting the perception that they selected North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall with the 13th pick in Thursday night's draft as the first step in dealing with Nash's eventual departure.

Nash earned nearly $12 million last season and averaged 12.5 points and 10.7 assists for a team that, with no 20-point scorer, nearly snagged the last playoff spot in the West.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...al-sources-say

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/417/steve-nash

I really really hope he doesn't take it. I don't want him on this team, he's not a good fit.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 04:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we shouldn't be holding our breath. It sounds like nash will at least talk to dallas and that won't happen until dallas finds out where they are in the DWill sweepstakes

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my opinion; I think we should get Nash for whatever money he's worth. This is the same guy who lead a team (ranked 23rd in DEF efficiency) that was 3 games shy from a playoff spot in a better conference. I'd imagine playoffs next season would be a guarantee.
    Last edited by matt; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 05:00 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

How can you say he's not a good fit? The only teams he's not a good fit for are ones that already have a superstar point guard.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...al-sources-say

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/417/steve-nash

I really really hope he doesn't take it. I don't want him on this team, he's not a good fit.
    How is he not a good fit? He's basically a better Calderon. Both are pass first point guards that make their teammates better. Both are unselfish with the ball. Both their defense is so so. The only differences are that Nash is better offensively, Nash has more playoff experience, and we would easily be a playoff team in a weak Eastern Conference. Don't say that it's cuz he should be chasing a championship cuz that's not gonna happen. The only way he can get a championship is to sign with either OKC, LAL, and MIA. OKC already has Russell Westbrook and they can only offer him so much. Nash hates the Lakers, doesn't want to play with him, and wants to beat them. MIA also can only offer him the bare minimum especially due to the salary of the Big Three. And please don't say NYC, cuz they are not a contender even with Nash. There is still the problem of the co-existence of Melo and Amare. Also, NYC has made it a priority to keep Lin in NY. Portland needs to choose between pursuing Nash, re-signing Batum, and signing Hibbert to that ridiculous max contract. Therefore, there is no other way that Nash can get a championship this late in his life while make a lot of money for the future.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    RE this S&T arrangement Nash has with the Suns, this is a mutual one of good faith by Nash. He did not have to do this. The Suns only leverage is Nash's goodwill to his old team. Period. I suppose this is going to come down to Nash making his choice first of a team (based on whatever his priorities are) and on the understanding with that team that he will only join them based on a trade arrangement with PHX who will then try for the best deal they can....but they are really in no position to dictate.
    A player is really only forced to seek a sign-and-trade if he wants to go to a team that is capped-out (or doesn't have enough cap room to give the player his full starting salary) and can't sign him directly.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q88

My concern is that it may be to our advantaged to be "capped out". We maintain the exceptions including the 7 mil TPE and the 5 mil mid-level. The S and T could provide us an advantage as well in not having to amnesty Jose. If we are indeed "capped out" at this point, then Phoenix has to sign Nash and Trade him to us in order for him to get his 12 mil.per.

We can sign Nash outright (for his 12 mil) after first relinquishing the bird rights to Bayless or by amnestying Calderon, and also kissing the other exemptions good bye. So I am thinking Phoenix has more cards in their hand than just goodwill. They may be in a position to hold out for more.

I am not quite ready to put a "period" at the end of this. I have just really started delving into this CBA stuff in the last little while, and at times it makes my head hurt. I certainly am interested in other's opinions on how this stuff works.
    Last edited by jbml; Sun Jul 1st, 2012 at 05:34 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't get it

I have to admit I don't understand this fixation on signing Nash. Don't get me wrong, he's a great talent and a tremendous asset to any team but is this really part of any long term solution to getting this team back to respectability? I don't think so.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote sg60 wrote: View Post
    I have to admit I don't understand this fixation on signing Nash. Don't get me wrong, he's a great talent and a tremendous asset to any team but is this really part of any long term solution to getting this team back to respectability? I don't think so.
    I think you're right, imo if winning was so important this move should never have even been entertained.

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote malefax wrote: View Post
    How can you say he's not a good fit? The only teams he's not a good fit for are ones that already have a superstar point guard.
    Short sited. We are going to end up in the position where we were with Bosh. 3 years and first or 2nd round at best. I'd much rather have someone who can be a long term solution like Dragic/Lowry.

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread Information