X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/81...al-sources-say

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/417/steve-nash

I really really hope he doesn't take it. I don't want him on this team, he's not a good fit.
    How is he not a good fit? He's basically a better Calderon. Both are pass first point guards that make their teammates better. Both are unselfish with the ball. Both their defense is so so. The only differences are that Nash is better offensively, Nash has more playoff experience, and we would easily be a playoff team in a weak Eastern Conference. Don't say that it's cuz he should be chasing a championship cuz that's not gonna happen. The only way he can get a championship is to sign with either OKC, LAL, and MIA. OKC already has Russell Westbrook and they can only offer him so much. Nash hates the Lakers, doesn't want to play with him, and wants to beat them. MIA also can only offer him the bare minimum especially due to the salary of the Big Three. And please don't say NYC, cuz they are not a contender even with Nash. There is still the problem of the co-existence of Melo and Amare. Also, NYC has made it a priority to keep Lin in NY. Portland needs to choose between pursuing Nash, re-signing Batum, and signing Hibbert to that ridiculous max contract. Therefore, there is no other way that Nash can get a championship this late in his life while make a lot of money for the future.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      RE this S&T arrangement Nash has with the Suns, this is a mutual one of good faith by Nash. He did not have to do this. The Suns only leverage is Nash's goodwill to his old team. Period. I suppose this is going to come down to Nash making his choice first of a team (based on whatever his priorities are) and on the understanding with that team that he will only join them based on a trade arrangement with PHX who will then try for the best deal they can....but they are really in no position to dictate.
      A player is really only forced to seek a sign-and-trade if he wants to go to a team that is capped-out (or doesn't have enough cap room to give the player his full starting salary) and can't sign him directly.
      http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q88

My concern is that it may be to our advantaged to be "capped out". We maintain the exceptions including the 7 mil TPE and the 5 mil mid-level. The S and T could provide us an advantage as well in not having to amnesty Jose. If we are indeed "capped out" at this point, then Phoenix has to sign Nash and Trade him to us in order for him to get his 12 mil.per.

We can sign Nash outright (for his 12 mil) after first relinquishing the bird rights to Bayless or by amnestying Calderon, and also kissing the other exemptions good bye. So I am thinking Phoenix has more cards in their hand than just goodwill. They may be in a position to hold out for more.

I am not quite ready to put a "period" at the end of this. I have just really started delving into this CBA stuff in the last little while, and at times it makes my head hurt. I certainly am interested in other's opinions on how this stuff works.
      Last edited by jbml; Sun Jul 1, 2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• I don't get it

I have to admit I don't understand this fixation on signing Nash. Don't get me wrong, he's a great talent and a tremendous asset to any team but is this really part of any long term solution to getting this team back to respectability? I don't think so.

Comment

• sg60 wrote: View Post
          I have to admit I don't understand this fixation on signing Nash. Don't get me wrong, he's a great talent and a tremendous asset to any team but is this really part of any long term solution to getting this team back to respectability? I don't think so.
          I think you're right, imo if winning was so important this move should never have even been entertained.

Comment

• malefax wrote: View Post
            How can you say he's not a good fit? The only teams he's not a good fit for are ones that already have a superstar point guard.
            Short sited. We are going to end up in the position where we were with Bosh. 3 years and first or 2nd round at best. I'd much rather have someone who can be a long term solution like Dragic/Lowry.

Comment

• When will we learn that BC isn't about addressing actual issues. He's a quick fix guy. Nash will increase revenues across the board while making us marginally better. It's his contract year and he wants to please the board. What better way then giving them huge increases in revenue, filling the seats, PR boosts, and perhaps a playoff appearence. 3 years down the road we will start "retooling" again. It's what this team is about.

Comment

• Signing Nash for 3 years gives the Raptors a 3 year window to find the successor at the point. At the same time, having Nash man the point guard spot will allow our young players to grow. Think of guys like Joe Johnson, Amare, Q Rich, Grant Hill, Shawn Marion, Marcin Gortat, Leandro Barbosa, etc. Nash needs to be given some credit for making them look good, allowing these players to realize their potential, develop confidence and grow as players.

On the business side, signing Nash would bring credibility to the franchise, fill up the seats and have other players / markets take notice of the Raptors. It's a wonderful marketing move that will pay dividends for the franchise.

The biggest difference with Nash and Jose is Nash's ability to make something happen regardless of body position, regardless of what hand is controlling the ball, the ability to go left or right and break his man down without using a screen. Nash also is EXCELLENT at advancing the ball via pass leading to transition opportunities, which fits perfectly with our young athletic wings.

There are many reasons why Nash would be beneficial for our struggling franchise in both basketball and business perspectives.
                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                  Signing Nash for 3 years gives the Raptors a 3 year window to find the successor at the point. At the same time, having Nash man the point guard spot will allow our young players to grow. Think of guys like Joe Johnson, Amare, Q Rich, Grant Hill, Shawn Marion, Marcin Gortat, Leandro Barbosa, etc. Nash needs to be given some credit for making them look good, allowing these players to realize their potential, develop confidence and grow as players.

On the business side, signing Nash would bring credibility to the franchise, fill up the seats and have other players / markets take notice of the Raptors. It's a wonderful marketing move that will pay dividends for the franchise.

The biggest difference with Nash and Jose is Nash's ability to make something happen regardless of body position, regardless of what hand is controlling the ball, the ability to go left or right and break his man down without using a screen. Nash also is EXCELLENT at advancing the ball via pass leading to transition opportunities, which fits perfectly with our young athletic wings.

There are many reasons why Nash would be beneficial for our struggling franchise in both basketball and business perspectives.
                  Agreed don't see how getting an average player like Lowry/Dragic is better than 3 years of a future hall of famer, that is 38 but the fitness level of a 25 year old.

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                    Signing Nash for 3 years gives the Raptors a 3 year window to find the successor at the point. At the same time, having Nash man the point guard spot will allow our young players to grow. Think of guys like Joe Johnson, Amare, Q Rich, Grant Hill, Shawn Marion, Marcin Gortat, Leandro Barbosa, etc. Nash needs to be given some credit for making them look good, allowing these players to realize their potential, develop confidence and grow as players.

+9999999999999999999 and Agrippa I agree with you also. We are not in a rush to get our point guard of the future and while Dragic and Lowry are good and relatively young point guards, I would wait because I'm sure we can get a better one in a 3 years span. Definitely. And guys we be talking about Steve Nash. 'Nuff said.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                      Short sited. We are going to end up in the position where we were with Bosh. 3 years and first or 2nd round at best. I'd much rather have someone who can be a long term solution like Dragic/Lowry.
                      You're forgetting what he'll do to the development of JV, Demar, and Ross. He makes other players better around him. Overpaying? Yes. It's the cost of doing business. As for Dragic, Lowry and others, they're great PGs but they are not guarantees either. As an ambassador and someone that helps recruit free agents, why not. He's 38. Stop with the PER statistical BS. He's not being lured here for his defense, not as the Future answer to PG. Three years buys the franchise time to draft a PG next year and to be under him for the last two years of this contract. Its not our money, it's three years and this deal will not handcuff the franchise to make future signings. Everyone relax.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• The Knicks offered him 5 million a year so it's looking like raptors are front runners at this point. Also hopefully next year we can get CJ McCollum in the draft and he'd be Nash's successor after learning from him for 2 years

Comment

• Will he be a high draft pick? Because if Nash signs with the Raptors, they wont be getting any high draft picks

Comment

• nets up tomorrow

Marc Stein: After Raps and Knicks today, Nets have formally requested chance to sit down with Steve Nash as well. Meeting scheduled for Monday morning Twitte

Comment

• If we sign Nash, I hope we can also sign Machado.
                              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

• I was and am a big proponent of signing Nash.

HOWEVER, I always thought around $10M per year. $2M is not a HUGE difference but it is a difference (20%).

If the Raptors do this, I hope it is via sign and trade. If not, the off season is over unless someone is amnestied and say good-bye to the Barbosa TPE, MLE, Bayless' rights, Gray's rights, and Weems' rights.

Comment

Working...
                                X