No announcement yet.

Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still curious about our MLE. Matt I know you are really good with cap-related questions, since we didn't make any trades to take on more salary prior to July 1st, have we now lost the MLE? If we are somehow to get Nash with our cap space, are we only left with the minimum, making trades and our amnesty option?

Comment

• I thought Nash was originally going to make his choice within 24-48 hrs. Its starting to look dicey that he wants to wait on Williams decision....which means if DW signs with the Nets Nash wants to hear the Mavs offer (and they would then have the money to beat the Raps). I feek Dirk will be a big factor in his decision if this scenario plays out. Pfffttt...nothing seems to be effing easy for this team.

Comment

• Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
        I'm still curious about our MLE. Matt I know you are really good with cap-related questions, since we didn't make any trades to take on more salary prior to July 1st, have we now lost the MLE? If we are somehow to get Nash with our cap space, are we only left with the minimum, making trades and our amnesty option?
        Every team under the soft cap has the MLE. It is added to their salary cap number automatically. To make use of their cap space below the salary/soft cap, teams have to renounce exceptions and cap holds - MLE included.

So eventhough the Raps have only about $47-48M in committed salaries, they have a cap number of about $85M once you add about $24M in cap holds plus Barbosa TPE and MLE. See link below for cap holds and committed salaries:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
          I thought Nash was originally going to make his choice within 24-48 hrs. Its starting to look dicey that he wants to wait on Williams decision....which means if DW signs with the Nets Nash wants to hear the Mavs offer (and they would then have the money to beat the Raps). I feek Dirk will be a big factor in his decision if this scenario plays out. Pfffttt...nothing seems to be effing easy for this team.
          Thinking the same thing too. It's almost like the raps best chance to land him was right away. With news of the Knicks being able to pay him up to $8 mill a year, maybe he takes a 20-30% cut just to play where he really lives (and seems to like to live). The Mavs are scary...Cuban has been silent for too long and just got a new trade exception from Odom. But then,
          maybe Nash really is the individual that we can't predict. Maybe he really likes Canada. Check out his new ad...

Russell Martin? I'm sure Nash knows a few other Yankees. Vinny too? I'm beginning to think Matt Ryan may have some Canadian roots.

Comment

• Ok great that was very informative Matt. Thanks alot!!

Comment

• Yes I saw that vid earlier today...I also wondered about Ryan (being the only non canuck). Lets hope SN has already made his mind up and just going thru the motions hearing everyone out. Surely he also knows this jeopardizes the Raps ability to move on other options before its too late.

Comment

• Nash has been consistent in saying that he would explore all his options. I would expect him to follow through with that.

With Dallas waiting on Williams, I think the Dallas scenario and the implications for their 2nd choice would be known by now. I do not recall a Dallas-Nash meeting being discussed in the media as yet?

Comment

• Landry Fields. Take that Nets. How can Nash resist?

Comment

• Landry Fields? The guy can for sure play the 3... So if Knicka don't match, we've signed a need for another rediculous contract...
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      Landry Fields? The guy can for sure play the 3... So if Knicka don't match, we've signed a need for another rediculous contract...
                      Basically BC did it to put the knicks out of the running for Nash. With this done BC will have to either trade or amnesty Calderon
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Basically BC did it to put the knicks out of the running for Nash. With this done BC will have to either trade or amnesty Calderon
                        Fields owes Nash one awesome Christmas gift this year... being the sole reason for him getting a few million over his market value is reason enough

Comment

• The one other aspect of Toronto's pursuit of Nash, which is important when disussing/comparing NYK's pursuit, is that none of the 'experts' have mentioned the potential of Toronto/Phoenix doing a S&T deal. Toronto would offer a verbal contract commitment now - which BC has allegedly done - but as Nash has already insisted, the deal could actually go down as a S&T to ensure Phoenix gets something in return for Nash. In my mind, not only is NYK competing for the offer they make to Nash, but they are also competing for the trade offer they present to Phoenix. Why would Phoenix want spare parts from NYK, when they could get Calderon (to mentor Marshall) and possibly other minor asset(s) (ie: Bayless, Forbes, JJ, 2013 2nd round pick, rights to Zubcic, etc...) from Toronto???

Comment

• Well Calderon is basically gone and fields will be playing the 3. But that is massively over paying for a guy like fields

Comment

• Interesting take from Zach Lowe @ CNNSI

Link: http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...?sct=nba_t2_a6

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Interesting take from Zach Lowe @ CNNSI

Link: http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...?sct=nba_t2_a6
                                I would say this is the most important part of that article. "The Raptors do not have much of a record of attracting top free agents, so perhaps this is a reasonable way to trade in cap space ahead of time ..."

Having Nash should improve their ability to attract Free Agents. In the next few years. Signing Nash is just step one. Working hard to improve defence, improve offence and help young players grow is step two. Being creative, and creating cap space in the next two years is step three.

Comment

Working...
                                X