Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    lol, I'm sure the home you visited, and the home Nash chooses are in drastically different neighbourhoods
    you could say the exact same thing for Toronto or any place really. The dude could build the biggest home he wanted in any country, state, province, city, town, whatever so the preference to NYC does not make sense at all.

Raptors Republic Rookie LateBoomer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Go hard for Lowry/Dragic!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, increasing the offer is a horrible, horrible move. No matter what happens, Colangelo has lost.
    Difficult to say without knowing exactly how negotiations have gone. It could have been something like this:
    Colangelo: "We'll give you $30 million, because we think that's better than any other team might give you."
    Nash: "Fair enough, let's see what sort of offer New York can make... Okay, New York can match your offer."
    Colangelo: "Okay, we'll up it to $36 million. Good enough?"

Or it could be something like this:
    Colangelo: "What's it going to take? $30 million? $36? I'll keep listing numbers and you tell me when I reach one that I like. Hello, did you hang up on me? Okay, I'll just leave some more numbers with your answering machine. How does $48 million sound? $54?"

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    i just went to NYC and I've been there 3 times before. I don't know what nash's wife see's that i don't. NYC is garbage and most of the people there are assholes. I'm not just being a homer its true, the roads are messed up, the people are messed up, and the crime rate is way higher than Toronto.
    Maybe you dont know...Nash is separated from his wife and the kids live with her. She has no reason to move anywhere.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you could say the exact same thing for Toronto or any place really. The dude could build the biggest home he wanted in any country, state, province, city, town, whatever so the preference to NYC does not make sense at all.
    It's rumoured that his ex-wife wants to move to NY (with the kids).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Difficult to say without knowing exactly how negotiations have gone. It could have been something like this:
    Colangelo: "We'll give you $30 million, because we think that's better than any other team might give you."
    Nash: "Fair enough, let's see what sort of offer New York can make... Okay, New York can match your offer."
    Colangelo: "Okay, we'll up it to $36 million. Good enough?"

Or it could be something like this:
    Colangelo: "What's it going to take? $30 million? $36? I'll keep listing numbers and you tell me when I reach one that I like. Hello, did you hang up on me? Okay, I'll just leave some more numbers with your answering machine. How does $48 million sound? $54?"
    lol, I'm guessing it's the latter...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, I'm guessing it's the latter...
    Yeah, if I was betting it would be closer to the latter, too.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LateBoomer wrote: View Post
    Go hard for Lowry/Dragic!
    I wouldn't pay either of them $10 mill a year.

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i blame the metric system

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What is the lesson?

The Nets make a huge risk and it paid off. What would happen if it did not work out?

The Knicks are going to be hard capped at $74M with 5 players making $65M if the rumour of matching the Lin contact are true. They are making a huge risk but what happens if multiple injuries occur or the chemistry is just not right?

The Raptors made huge risks for JO and Turk - they did not work out.

It appears to me, BC has learned the lessons he just has not had the luck to make a huge risk work.
    You're geting closer. The Raps took huge risks on Jermaine O'Neal and Hedo Turkoglu. The New York teams are betting on Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Steve Nash, Melo, Chandler, Stoudemire. Keep working on the problem with the Raptors approach. Almost there....

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's rumoured that his ex-wife wants to move to NY (with the kids).
    My understanding is she already lives there and the reason why Nash makes NY his off season home (to be close to the kids).

Raptors Republic Rookie oldmanweldon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The dude could build the biggest home he wanted in any country, state, province, city, town, whatever so the preference to NYC does not make sense at all.
    We're all upset about this, but you have to acknowledge that NYC is often regarded as the greatest city in the world. Living there has a real appeal to A LOT of people. The only cities more/as iconic would be, what... Paris? Tokyo? London?

Post Thanks / Like

Well the bright side is the Knicks will be financially handcuffed for years. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Nash "meshes" with Carmelo.

BC, walk AWAY! Your acting like the jilted lover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote oldmanweldon wrote: View Post
    We're all upset about this, but you have to acknowledge that NYC is often regarded as the greatest city in the world. Living there has a real appeal to A LOT of people. The only cities more/as iconic would be, what... Paris? Tokyo? London?
    Miami is the greatest place on earth.
    l still hate the basketball team tho.

Raptors Republic Starter themasao's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, increasing the offer is a horrible, horrible move. No matter what happens, Colangelo has lost.
    Increasing the offer is a bad move. But I don't think BC loses either way. Fact is, the worst part of this whole scenario is loss of reputation (such as it is). The Raptors really can't afford to look like any more of a joke than they already are -- and they're headed that way now.

In basketball terms though, this might be for the best. If it wasn't for Fields' butt-ugly contract, losing out on Nash might actually turn out to be a good thing. I'm not saying I didn't want Nash -- I really, really did -- but it was an emotional reason as much as anything.

As Matt already pointed out, the Knicks are gonna be hard capped, and will have about as much depth as Snooki. Nash has driven his market value (in terms of both assets and money) way beyond what it should be, belying not only his net potential upside, but also, being 38, his substantial risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't pay either of them $10 mill a year.
    l will pay Lowry, lF he doesn't have that attitude.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    You're geting closer. The Raps took huge risks on Jermaine O'Neal and Hedo Turkoglu. The New York teams are betting on Deron Williams, Joe Johnson, Steve Nash, Melo, Chandler, Stoudemire. Keep working on the problem with the Raptors approach. Almost there....
    I disagree with your reasoning on some of these suggestions:

1) Amar'e was discussed as being a 6th man this year and looked upon as one of the worst contracts in the league as it is uninsurable.

2) I think the JO and Turk moves are looked at in hindsight as JO never returned to form which was an unknown when trade made and Turk decided to take his PizzaPizza endorsement too literally.

3) Colangelo also made a play for Chandler which was nixed last minute - literally.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Nets and Knicks. None of them are dealing with talent like LBJ, Dwayne Wade, and Bosh - and it took 2 years for them to win and it certainly was not easy.

I agree with the general idea of your post though, fwiw. I am going to reserve judgement for a couple of months but I am starting to think a change in the front office will be good for everyone. In saying that the expression "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't" come to mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Steve measures respect by the $, glad you got it. But you may have lost quite a bit here, I don't like being played.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I disagree with your reasoning on some of these suggestions:

1) Amar'e was discussed as being a 6th man this year and looked upon as one of the worst contracts in the league as it is uninsurable.

2) I think the JO and Turk moves are looked at in hindsight as JO never returned to form which was an unknown when trade made and Turk decided to take his PizzaPizza endorsement too literally.

3) Colangelo also made a play for Chandler which was nixed last minute - literally.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Nets and Knicks. None of them are dealing with talent like LBJ, Dwayne Wade, and Bosh - and it took 2 years for them to win and it certainly was not easy.

I agree with the general idea of your post though, fwiw. I am going to reserve judgement for a couple of months but I am starting to think a change in the front office will be good for everyone. In saying that the expression "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't" come to mind.
    Sometimes I feel like this team is hexed. We can't seem to catch a break :/

Post Thanks / Like

So the Knicks has a big 4 now?

Thread Information