Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 1038

Thread: Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

  1. #881
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Yup... Phoenix has some leverage here. If Phoenix hates the pieces that NY is offering, Phoenix can say No. Nash would then have to settle for $3M or NY would have to find a 3rd team.
    Depends on how Nash views Toronto. If Phoenix gets greedy and says no to any Knicks offers, Nash could always say, "Screw it, I'm going to Toronto". Not sure if Phoenix is willing to risk that happening.

    Unless of course Nash tells Phoenix that NY is the only team he's willing to sign for.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  2. #882
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Depends on how Nash views Toronto. If Phoenix gets greedy and says no to any Knicks offers, Nash could always say, "Screw it, I'm going to Toronto". Not sure if Phoenix is willing to risk that happening.

    Unless of course Nash tells Phoenix that NY is the only team he's willing to sign for.
    In which case Phoenix is faced with the same problem BC was faced with when dealing away Bosh. Rock, meet hard place.

    As I said in an earlier post, unless Nash just wants each team's offer/deal in place before he decides where he will be playing next season, this all speaks fairly clearly that Toronto is not his preferred destination. If it was, there'd be no point for NYK to even bother negotiating a potential S&T deal with Phoenix, especially after their initial one fell apart (due to Fields not being available).

  3. #883
    Raptors Republic All-Star KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CNOTE wrote: View Post
    Explain to me why him choosing to go to a better team is any indictment on Canadian Basketball. As well explain to me how the Toronto Raptors being shitty have any indictment on Canadian Basketball. I am as loyal a fan as I can possibly be with the Raptors and I fill myself with false hope every year to make myself feel better, but there are a few clear things that I cannot hide. One The Raptors are not a good team, everyone can argue all they want bottom line they are not a good team. That single fact has no relevance to the fact that they are a Canadian team, infact they have no Canadian Basketball Players. If Steve Nash chose not to come to the Raptors it is based on that fact alone. Why would a 2 time MVP going on his last contract want to come to a team that historically can't win and historically can not even lose properly. This is not about Canadian Basketball and thankfully we have the likes of Tristan Thompson, Myck Kabongo, Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson, Kris Joseph, Cory Joseph, and quite a few more very promising Canadian players on the horizon that will make this a non factor regarding Canadian Basketball in a few years. This is purely a professional decision and should have no affect on his job as gm of Canada Basketball. Infact those names I just listed where probably influenced by Steve Nash when they began. Don't blame Nash, blame MLSE, Richard Peddy, Bryan Colangelo, Wayne Embry, Rob Babcock, Jack Mckluskey, and Glen Grunwald for not producing anything in 17 years. Each one of these people had their hands in the shittiness that is the Raps, so pick one and vent.
    I'm not saying I blame Nash for choosing to go to a "better" team (although with 4 players earning $67M, I don't know how that'll work out). I'm not saying he actively tried to hurt Canada Basketball. But its just bad PR for them, as anyone would tell you.

  4. #884
    Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    looks like even BC has thrown the towel in. he was quoted as saying

    “We gave it our best shot,”

  5. #885
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way


    very interesting... if true

  6. #886
    Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Honestly this is the best thing for raptors,sure nash would give raptor a jolt,rating,sellouts and all the other crap,but honestly does his signing help us compete for championship,not really,go after Kyle Lowry. Very underrated pg.
    I still would use the amnesty jose calderon or trade him even if we dont get steve nash,which looks like more a more that raptors wont get him..

  7. #887
    Raptors Republic Rookie LateBoomer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way


    very interesting... if true
    Good.
    Can't BC go for Batum too?

  8. #888
    Raptors Republic All-Star KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way


    very interesting... if true
    At least we are cultivating other options.. but I don't want Lowry for big money. I'd rather stick with Jose this year.

  9. #889
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    With or w/out Nash, sources say, Raps will keep trying to trade for Kyle Lowry. Raps talked deals w/HOU at draft. Still want him either way


    very interesting... if true
    My bad for posting this Tweet in the Nash thread, though it relates to Nash's potential signing...

    Nilanka posted the same Marc Stein Tweet in the "Plan B" thread (http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...3-Plan-B/page5), where the Lowry, etc... discussion is raging on. Lets keep this thread dedicated to Nash.

  10. #890
    Raptors Republic Rookie LeeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    We expect BC to lure good American players to Toronto when the guy can't get a 38-yr old Canadian to come over for massive money. Not that I really wanted Nash here, but the fact that this makes the Raptors look like total jackasses hurts me.
    I hesitate taking you on, Arse. You are as close to God on this site as anyone. And yet, I must speak truth to power. First of all, I assume you meant to say: "How can we expect BC...", right? It does not make us look like jackasses that we gave it our best shot, but that Nash wanted to play at home (his adopted home; Toronto is not home, btw) and for a contending team that has (with Nash) a decent chance to go deep into the playoffs, all for only a few mill less than what the Raptors, a horrible franchise, were able to give him. The Raps look like (and are) jackasses not because of this unsuccessful wooing, but because...well, because we stink! And until we stop stinking, we'll be considered jackasses, and deservedly so. Nothing at all to do with Nashgate (patent pending). Arse, please don't revoke my membership.
    ;-)

  11. #891
    Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    At least we are cultivating other options.. but I don't want Lowry for big money. I'd rather stick with Jose this year.
    We would be trading fro Lowry based on his existing contract, so it will cost assets. Not sure Lowry is available now given how much dragic wants.

  12. #892
    Raptors Republic All-Star KHD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    We would be trading fro Lowry based on his existing contract, so it will cost assets. Not sure Lowry is available now given how much dragic wants.
    Aha, you're correct. Still not sure I'm a fan of going after him.

  13. #893
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Katman wrote: View Post
    We would be trading fro Lowry based on his existing contract, so it will cost assets. Not sure Lowry is available now given how much dragic wants.
    Right, Lowry under contract for 2 seasons.

    Also, Rockets going hard after Lin and might look to move Lowry regardless - emphasis on might as I don't know.

  14. #894
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LeeZ wrote: View Post
    I hesitate taking you on, Arse. You are as close to God on this site as anyone. And yet, I must speak truth to power. First of all, I assume you meant to say: "How can we expect BC...", right? It does not make us look like jackasses that we gave it our best shot, but that Nash wanted to play at home (his adopted home; Toronto is not home, btw) and for a contending team that has (with Nash) a decent chance to go deep into the playoffs, all for only a few mill less than what the Raptors, a horrible franchise, were able to give him. The Raps look like (and are) jackasses not because of this unsuccessful wooing, but because...well, because we stink! And until we stop stinking, we'll be considered jackasses, and deservedly so. Nothing at all to do with Nashgate (patent pending). Arse, please don't revoke my membership.
    ;-)
    LeeZ, I think you're missing the point that Arsenalist, myself and others are trying to make. We're not questioning Nash's motivations and respect his decision (even if we don't agree with it).

    The negative impact on the perception of the Raptors franchise will be two-fold, as a result of Nash choosing not to sign here.

    1. If anybody was destined to sign with the Raptors, it was Steve Nash - Kid Canada, Captain Canada, GM of the Canadian National Team, Canadian hero, possibly future GM of the Raptors, limitless personal marketing/sponsorship opportunities - yet he said no. The reasons behind his decision don't matter, when it comes to how his decision will be perceived by his fellow NBA players. If the one player most likely to sign with the Raptors says "NO", that is definitely going to make other players think twice.

    2. You are absolutely right that a winning culture, winning identity and winning record play a large part in attracting free agents; success begets success. What better way to ensure success, then to bring in a two-time MVP, savvy veteran floor general PG, to help lead this talented group of youngsters? The addition of Nash, on top of the additions of Valanciunas, Ross, Acy, Fields and whatever other players may have been added after Nash, would very likely make this Raptors team a playoff team next season. The presence of Steve Nash on a Toronto Raptors team that made the playoffs, would be the ultimate turnaround for the image of this "jackass" franchise, into that of a legitmate, up-and-coming, winning NBA franchise.


    Nash has earned the right to sign anywhere he wants and I will absolutely respect his decision, regardless of his motivations. Nash NOT choosing Toronto will absolutely have negative ramifications on the franchise's image and perception among NBA players though, make no mistake about it.

  15. #895
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote imaginelino wrote: View Post
    looks like even BC has thrown the towel in. he was quoted as saying

    “We gave it our best shot,”
    The funny thing is, that was tweeted with the line that he is still hopeful saying that

  16. #896
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,565
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    LeeZ, I think you're missing the point that Arsenalist, myself and others are trying to make. We're not questioning Nash's motivations and respect his decision (even if we don't agree with it).

    The negative impact on the perception of the Raptors franchise will be two-fold, as a result of Nash choosing not to sign here.

    1. If anybody was destined to sign with the Raptors, it was Steve Nash - Kid Canada, Captain Canada, GM of the Canadian National Team, Canadian hero, possibly future GM of the Raptors, limitless personal marketing/sponsorship opportunities - yet he said no. The reasons behind his decision don't matter, when it comes to how his decision will be perceived by his fellow NBA players. If the one player most likely to sign with the Raptors says "NO", that is definitely going to make other players think twice.

    2. You are absolutely right that a winning culture, winning identity and winning record play a large part in attracting free agents; success begets success. What better way to ensure success, then to bring in a two-time MVP, savvy veteran floor general PG, to help lead this talented group of youngsters? The addition of Nash, on top of the additions of Valanciunas, Ross, Acy, Fields and whatever other players may have been added after Nash, would very likely make this Raptors team a playoff team next season. The presence of Steve Nash on a Toronto Raptors team that made the playoffs, would be the ultimate turnaround for the image of this "jackass" franchise, into that of a legitmate, up-and-coming, winning NBA franchise.


    Nash has earned the right to sign anywhere he wants and I will absolutely respect his decision, regardless of his motivations. Nash NOT choosing Toronto will absolutely have negative ramifications on the franchise's image and perception among NBA players though, make no mistake about it.
    Bingo. The LA Clippers have been a joke of a franchise ever since I can remember. Chris Paul last year put them on the map. Nash could have done that to Toronto. Him saying no is a serious setback for our franchise.

  17. #897
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not entirely true. If nash wants to go to knicks he could sign with them for 3mil. Its up to pho to utilize s&t. Therefore raps can offer better s&t making pho not willing to do s&t with knicks. Leaving nash the choice of knicks for 3mil or raps for 36mil

  18. #898
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,149
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm getting sick of waiting...I'm gonna go out...get drunk...sing karaoke....and leave any twitter source behind

  19. #899
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,517
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorTy wrote: View Post
    Not entirely true. If nash wants to go to knicks he could sign with them for 3mil. Its up to pho to utilize s&t. Therefore raps can offer better s&t making pho not willing to do s&t with knicks. Leaving nash the choice of knicks for 3mil or raps for 36mil
    True. According to rumors, it seems like Phoenix is hot for Shumpert, likely moreso than any players Toronto would want to offer, unfortunately. So if Nash prefers NYK and Phoenix's top target is Shumpert, then Toronto really has no hope. If that's the case, a deal will get done eventually between Pho/NYK.

  20. #900
    Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T dot Ohhhhh
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

    1. If anybody was destined to sign with the Raptors, it was Steve Nash - Kid Canada, Captain Canada, GM of the Canadian National Team, Canadian hero, possibly future GM of the Raptors, limitless personal marketing/sponsorship opportunities - yet he said no. The reasons behind his decision don't matter, when it comes to how his decision will be perceived by his fellow NBA players. If the one player most likely to sign with the Raptors says "NO", that is definitely going to make other players think twice.
    I disagree with this 100%. I love the idea of Nash in TDot but it never made sense beyond the money. It is not "home" for him (that'd be NYK or Victoria) and his NBA career is an entirely separate entity from his National Team duties. Always has been, always will be. Why is he the "one player most likely to sign with the Raptors"? Because of a passport?

    The Raps are have not fielded an important team since VC/Tmac and that was for about 2.5 seasons. If you go into any sports store in the US you will not see raps gear anywhere because they are not and have not ever really been relevant. That changes in a heartbeat once the wins start to pile up but as it stands no one is lining up to go to Charlotte, SAC etc for the exact same reason. Nash is not a guarantee to make this team a winner on his own nor is he the ONLY option in building a winner and was, at best, a stopgap solution.
    Last edited by minks77; Wed Jul 4th, 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •