Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Nash Watch: L.A. bound (#1009)

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Say it with me

Lowry!Lowry!Lowry!Lowry!

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone here old enough to remember when vince resigned in Toronto? Could you imagine that day if there was twitter or fan sites? Seems like that was another referendum on whether we were a legitimate franchise. On that note, just to bring up something I put in an earlier post, how far behind is our team if we don't sign nash? From the outset, the general consensus is that we could upgrade at PG but what we really needed was a SF. I assume that will still be the plan (if the Fields offer is rescinded). Yes, Nash would be an upgrade at PG but we could also use an upgrade at SF, PF and you could argue, C. So, if the Nash deal falls though, how far behind are we really (as a basketball team, not a franchise)?

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Prime wrote: View Post
    Dont understand the "either way". Lowry is currently an unhappy camper in Houston precisely because he did not want to play second fiddle to Dragic leading to his McHale tirade. Why would the Raps get the both of them? But then this whole Nash thing has been mismanaged.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

if think a deal for lowry would include amir and possibly 1 or 2 second rounders

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote geo wrote: View Post
    if think a deal for lowry would include amir and possibly 1 or 2 second rounders
    It would include caldy and either Amir or Ed

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Something else to consider:

If Asik deal is correct and it is $8.3M per year cap hit per year;
    If Lin rumours are true and $10M per year cap hit;

Rockets need to dump about $9M in salary to make the offer if my math is correct.

Daryl Morey ‏@dmorey

RedNation please help me welcome @JLin7 back 2Houston today! Fitting on July4 as America is land of 2nd chances- #lin2houston in your reply

Toronto can certainly help clear a good chunk of it.

A sign and trade for Nash could also turn in to a 3 team affair with PHX-HOU-TOR.

**What do you think? Am I reeking of desperation here? lol**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote geo wrote: View Post
    Not if the Lin rumours are true.

Houston needs to have enough cap space to match the yearly average of the poison pill contract offer.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

If getting stuck with Landry Fields is the fallout from going all in for Nash, isn't this about equal to trading for Wilson Chandler? Salaries and average production in the NBA are comparable?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ste0250 wrote: View Post
    If getting stuck with Landry Fields is the fallout from going all in for Nash, isn't this about equal to trading for Wilson Chandler? Salaries and average production in the NBA are comparable?
    the thing is chandler is proven..you know what you will get from him.

I think fields is a good comparison but he has played two years in the league and is very inconsistent...if he pans out its a great move for the raptors

Raptors Republic Starter SuperRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Ok ... people need to RELAX. Holy sh*t!
    Nash hasn't come out and said ANYTHING. Until then, effing CHILL!!!!
    Sorry for the rant, but come on ... when a whole country wants you to come play for them so much that they are prepared to pay 20% more than anyone else ... and you consider a pseudo-contender team that got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs instead then that is a diss that deserves a crazy rant!

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Something else to consider:

If Asik deal is correct and it is $8.3M per year cap hit per year;
    If Lin rumours are true and $10M per year cap hit;

Rockets need to dump about $9M in salary to make the offer if my math is correct.

Toronto can certainly help clear a good chunk of it.

A sign and trade for Nash could also turn in to a 3 team affair with PHX-HOU-TOR.

**What do you think? Am I reeking of desperation here? lol**
    I can say you have a fertile mind!!

I dont know how I feel about Nash anymore (re coming to the Raps). Since he has not made any statement so far we dont really know what is going on (Aldridge's tweet, lack of any direct quotes from Nash, BC still trying...so he hasnt been told). At best we are not Nash's first choice I feel and if it is NY it is greatly because of his kids and being close to them. So I wouldnt be too harsh on him especially since he never solicited any offers from anybody. BC should have managed local expectations a bit better I feel. Anyhow Lowry is not a bad 2nd option but depends on what he is going to cost now that the draft is past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    Sorry for the rant, but come on ... when a whole country wants you to come play for them so much that they are prepared to pay 20% more than anyone else ... and you consider a pseudo-contender team that got eliminated in the first round of the playoffs instead then that is a diss that deserves a crazy rant!
    Nash has always maintained that all avenues will be sought out, and all options would remain available.
    Until he makes a decision, an official decision, he hasn't slighted or offended anybody.
    He has merely remained true to his word, and is hearing out all suitors.

As a two time MVP, who is only now getting a chance to be wooed and made feel sexy, he deserves it. And he has remained a complete pro throughout the whole process.

He has no obligation to this organization, and he owes us nothing, despite what many have stated.

Anybody who has something negative to say about Nash (let alone cussing him out as has been done) and the way he has portayed himself, is making a pretty embarrassing mistake, if you ask me.

For all he has done for this country and for Basketball, it is Blasphemy to speak ill of Steve Nash. Blasphemy I say!!
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Jul 4th, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    It's all about perception though. I never implied that Nash 'had to' or 'should have' signed in Toronto. It's not Nash's or BC's fault, it's really more the fact that the rumor got into the media and then they ran with it, blowing the pursuit of a free agent into something far bigger, because of all the subplots and storylines. It became some grand national plan for the Raptors to acquire Nash, the prodigal son, and for the franchise's fortunes to turn around... yatta yatta yatta. Again, as anybody in marketing will tell you, perception is far more important an influencer than truth or fact. If a free agent is weighing his options - Toronto being one of them - he could very well think to himself "well Nash, a Canadian player, didn't even sign with the Raptors, why should i?". He won't know the reasons or rational behind Nash's decision, all he'll consider is the fact that Nash said "no".

I also agree with your second paragraph, but signing a 2-time MVP would certainly make the team better, put them into playoff contention (at least) and go a long way towards making the Toronto Raptors franchise relevant again. Nobody ever said Nash was the be-all-and-end-all of signings, who alone would catapult the Raptors into the playoffs, but he would be an excellent starting point to making the team better and helping them attract even more free agents for even further improvements. Lowry or Dragic certainly won't have near the impact (on the court or off the court) that Nash would have.
    Not to be a jerk but I'm actually in marketing/advertising and have been for a long time and I definitely wouldn't tell you that. Perception can work against you too. Free Agent X sees we're winning games and then thinks, "well Steve only signed here cuz he's a Canadian and now they're winning but dudes gonna retire in a year or 2 then what? I'm stuck in Canuckistan with this same mediocre to crap team, no picks and no Nash, Hellllllll no."

I'm not denying that Toronto will always have an uphill battle to fight but so do most teams in the league. I think the contingent of folks on these boards who think this'll make us look worse than we already do are putting waaaaaay too much stock in so called perception. Before Cuban Dallas was a strict no go zone and now look at em. Straight Blue chip franchise. Same with the Clips. Same with NJN/BKN and others. Memories are very short, especially when you are talking about 1 of 450 available jobs. Even more so if you are a premiere talent and want to be a franchise player because then the choices are even slimmer.

Nash would be a great pick up for us. I really believe he'd help in many ways (perception around the L too). Lowry or Dragic wouldn't have the immediate impact, perhaps, but would be around much longer and it's all about the wins. 2 years from now, when SN is retired, KL and GD will still be in their primes and if the other pieces come together no one will care about Nash "dissing" us because we'll all be too busy worrying about seeding.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nash has always maintained that all avenues will be sought out, and all options would remain available.
    Until he makes a decision, an official decision, he hasn't slighted or offended anybody.

He has no obligation to this organization, and he owes us nothing, despite what many have stated.

As a two time MVP, who is only now getting a chance to be wooed and made feel sexy, he deserves it. And he has remained a complete pro throughout the whole process.

Anybody who has anything negative to say about Nash and the way he has portayed himself, is making a pretty embarrassing mistake, if you ask me.

For all he has done for this country and for Basketball, it is Blasphemy to speak ill of Steve Nash. Blasphemy I say!!
    I could not agree more.

I think the only person who a Raps fan could be mad at right now is BC, but let's just wait till the end of the offseason before we get mad at him.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
    A pseudo contender with 2 bonafide all stars, one of whom he's balled with before, in the city he makes his home in (that is one of the greatest cities in the world), which, btw, has actually been to the playoffs recently unlike this franchise. If it was all about a passport they wouldn't have had to offer him so much more than anyone else.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

do you guys think if phx lands eric gordon (prob not happening) that nash considers staying in phx?

Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody who has something negative to say about Nash (let alone cussing him out as has been done) and the way he has portayed himself, is making a pretty embarrassing mistake, if you ask me.

Couldn't agree more...

Would love Nash in Toronto for so many reasons

But if he doesn't come, so what???

He owes the country NOTHING... He's already given more than anybody on here... he's represented this country on a world stage... and what have YOU done? Got a 24 on May 24? Watched fireworks on Canada Day? Got a timmies coffee and a maple dip donut?

Nash trumped your shitty contributions well over a decade ago.

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    NY Newsday reporting raps are going to increase offer to Nash
    Heard that too (but that is insane and I don't like it). I have a pit in my stomach that tells me that BC's plan B is to flip Demar to Houston for Lowry (especially in light of Houston retracting their offer from Courtney Lee). http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=76bojqy
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Heard that too (but that is insane and I don't like it). I have a pit in my stomach that tells me that BC's plan B is to flip Demar to Houston for Lowry (especially in light of Houston retracting their offer from Courtney Lee). http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=76bojqy
    i swear to god if BC moves derozan i am done...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Rockets have Martin and Lamb though.

If Morey is as big on advanced stats as many say he is, then he likely wants no part of DD.

Page 47 of 52 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread Information