Tor-mem-lal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tor-mem-lal

Nope not another Calderon to LA thread, this is feasting on the back of the Pau trade rumours. I know many have a hard on for RGay to Toronto, but I would see this as a more realistic opportunity unless we could pull of the steal of the decade with Gay.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=863wpuk

TOR: OJ Mayo, DMorris, better of LAL/DAL 2012 pick, TPE for Bayless/Barbosa
    MEM: Pau Gasol, Matt Barnes, Andrew Goudelock
    LAL: Rudy Gay, Amir Johnson, Jerryd Bayless/LBarbosa

Toronto really needs to improve its 3pt shooting, try running Mayo at SG and Derozan at SF. Mayo can spread the floor for DD's slashing. Morris is a pass first PG with solid skills and potential, and Jose would be a great role model for him to grow.

Memphis has a problem with 3 alphas in MGasol, ZRandolph and RGay and play better with only two of them truly active. The reason I feel it would work with the 3-headed monster of Gasol/Gasol/Randolph is they would not be on the floor at the same time, would each be around 32mins a game (with DArther and Speights as filler/injury backup). Barnes is a solid defender and would mix rotating with Pondexter imo at the SF spot. Memphis would become what the Lakers were with Odom/Gasol/Bynum, only with the brothers and Randolph.

Lakers NEEEEED 3pt shooting and they really, really need an upgrade at SF. Gay shoots the 3ball well, would fit well with Kobe and Bynum. They definitely weaken at PF but because the Kobe-Pau-Bynum grouping requires spreading of the floor, when it is not there the D simply collapses in the paint removing the Pau and Kobe advantage. Bayless is an experiment at PG and SG (or Barbosa) for them since they desparately need both bench strength and speed.

TOR current year:
    PG: JCalderon, DMorris, ACarter
    SG: OJMayo, *LBarbosa, GForbes
    SF: DD, JJ, LKleiza
    PF: ABargnani, ED,
    C: AGray, JMagloire, SAlabi
    Option to ship out Barbosa still for another pick/asset.

TOR 2012-2013:
    PG: JCalderon, DMorris, LAL/DAL draft pick (Kabongo/Lillard/Marshall etc.)
    SG: OJMayo, DD/TOR draft pick, GForbes
    SF: TOR draft pick/DD, JJ, LKleiza
    PF: ABargnani, ED (Thompson?)
    C: JVal, AGray?, JThompson?
    Toronto picking a wing in the draft: (HBarnes, QMiller, MKG (if Mayo is here he fits), JLamb, BBeal, etc.)
    Salaries would be about $41M before draft picks (assuming Mayo can be signed back starting at about $6M), about $50M including the 2 1st rounders (JVal and ours) and another couple for the LAL/DAL pick. That leaves another $8M for backup C's and PF. I think Jason Thompson would be a solid signing able to back up either big spot, and bringing AGray back in would be a good big bruiser body for perhaps another $5M total between the two of them or $8+ for more appealing FAs.
    Last edited by Maleko; Mon Feb 20, 2012, 11:27 AM. Reason: add Barbosa option over Bayless

Just a note of the MEM/LAL lineups after the above:

MEM:
    PG: MConley, JPargo, JSelby
    SG: TAllen, SYoung, AGoudelock
    SF: MBarnes, QPondexter, DCunningham
    PF: PGasol, ZRandolph, DArthur
    C: MGasol, (PGasol), MSpeights, HHaddadi

LAL:
    PG: DFisher, SBlake
    SG: KBryant, JBayless/LBarbosa, JKapono
    SF: RGay, MWP, LWalton, DEbanks
    PF: AJohnson, JMcRoberts
    C: ABynum, TMurphy
    NOTE: the Lakers may want to look at taking Barbosa instead of Bayless, and would probably be a better fit. I would say the Raptors could perhaps get both LAL and DAL 2012 picks for Barbosa inclusion...at least in my hopes/opinion.
    Last edited by Maleko; Mon Feb 20, 2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Memphis doesn't do this trade. Their frontcourt is loaded, sure, but they'd be wingless.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm not sure I see Pau going to Memphis with Marc and Z-Bo staying. Those three are even more money than Gay, Marc, and Z-Bo and they all play the same positions. Also, who would you bench? Z-Bo coming off the bench is not going to be a happy camper.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure I see Pau going to Memphis with Marc and Z-Bo staying. Those three are even more money than Gay, Marc, and Z-Bo and they all play the same positions. Also, who would you bench? Z-Bo coming off the bench is not going to be a happy camper.
          This is the thing, they would all be able to play 32mins/gm in varying amounts, with Pau playing some C alongside Randolph at PF, and Randolph also playing alongside Marc. It is a little out of the box thinking, but I do think it could work very well for Memphis, as a much more potent 3-some than Pau-Bynum-Odom, alongside a solid PG, and decent wings. All my opinion of course, but there are my thoughts.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
            This is the thing, they would all be able to play 32mins/gm in varying amounts, with Pau playing some C alongside Randolph at PF, and Randolph also playing alongside Marc. It is a little out of the box thinking, but I do think it could work very well for Memphis, as a much more potent 3-some than Pau-Bynum-Odom, alongside a solid PG, and decent wings. All my opinion of course, but there are my thoughts.
            I could see that. My issue would be Z-Bo. He has certainly appears to have matured a bit of the years but I still label him a selfish player, but that is just my thought haha.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I could see that. My issue would be Z-Bo. He has certainly appears to have matured a bit of the years but I still label him a selfish player, but that is just my thought haha.
              HA yes always a wildcard.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                Just a note of the MEM/LAL lineups after the above:

MEM:
                PG: MConley, JPargo, JSelby
                SG: TAllen, SYoung, AGoudelock
                SF: MBarnes, QPondexter, DCunningham
                PF: PGasol, ZRandolph, DArthur
                C: MGasol, (PGasol), MSpeights, HHaddadi

LAL:
                PG: DFisher, SBlake
                SG: KBryant, JBayless/LBarbosa, JKapono
                SF: RGay, MWP, LWalton, DEbanks
                PF: AJohnson, JMcRoberts
                C: ABynum, TMurphy
                NOTE: the Lakers may want to look at taking Barbosa instead of Bayless, and would probably be a better fit. I would say the Raptors could perhaps get both LAL and DAL 2012 picks for Barbosa inclusion...at least in my hopes/opinion.
                I believe LA will ship out Blake, and keep Bayless to either start or play more minutes than Fish off the bench at the point guard.

Memphis has one hell of a defensive wing, but basically a ghost on the offensive end when it comes to wing players nowadays. Matt Barnes is strictly a shooter, and Tony Allen is strictly a slasher, but maybe they could possibly be those guys that "do their thing" when needed, they need shooting, pass it out. When they need aggressiveness, let Tony Allen get to the rim. Especially with a very good point guard and 3 big men who can easily dominate an outcome of a game, IMO there is no problem. It's almost like Denver's balanced attack of Brewer and Afflalo.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                X