Point Guard Era Draft ending.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Guard Era Draft ending.

A little scary after the last four years, the draft has created some of the best/starting/all-star point guards today. This year's projected draft, there is ONE point guard in the top 20. ONE! This year is filled with wing players and big men. A draft the Raptors wished they could have had last year.

That one point guard is Tony Wroten Jr. And his size basically says shooting guard at 6'5, 205 pounds.

Found by Chad Ford's ESPN Prospects Big Board.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    A little scary after the last four years, the draft has created some of the best/starting/all-star point guards today. This year's projected draft, there is ONE point guard in the top 20. ONE! This year is filled with wing players and big men. A draft the Raptors wished they could have had last year.

That one point guard is Tony Wroten Jr. And his size basically says shooting guard at 6'5, 205 pounds.

Found by Chad Ford's ESPN Prospects Big Board.
    So does his assist to turnover ration of 0.9:1.

Comment

Goodness, that's horrific.

I can honestly say there is not a single point guard in the draft, but after such successful years with very good point guards, that's disappointing.

Comment

Chad Ford's big board has Lillard at no. 25, Marshall at 26, Kabongo at 27, and Teague at 28. There will point guards available late in the first round.

Comment

I was looking at the top 100 board, but I can tell you what I saw was on ESPN.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
            Chad Ford's big board has Lillard at no. 25, Marshall at 26, Kabongo at 27, and Teague at 28. There will point guards available late in the first round.
            Marshall is the only PG I expect to be drafted.

Lillard is actually more of a combo guard in the Stephen Curry-before-he-got-drafted mold and I would be surprised if either Kabongo or Teague declares this year.

Comment

Teague is undecided and rumours are spilling that Kabongo is back for another year.

Comment

Lillard is jumping up draft boards
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Wait for NCAA t-Ment. That is when best PGs "shine", especially a Cindarella team whose PG goes nuts. Also, remmember, most PGs are freshmen. Give them another month to "develop".
                  Not all current "star" PGs were high picks. Maybe Marshalls, Kabongos, Lillards turn out like Rondo, Parker, Lin...........
                  Maybe even more of a reason to hold on to Jose IF we make no trades (ie keep Val, 2012 1st, possibly another late 1st for Barbosa or Bayless). Billups could not "improve" lousy Celtics (that drafted him), nor Raptors, nor Minnesota.
                  Due to cengested scedulle, more injuries, some team might get desperate at trade deadline to overpay for Magloir, Carter....How many rookies do you want on your team? Yes, OKC would be nice to follow, but that (too many young guys) can turn out like Minnesota, Wizzards, Clippers (most of last 20 years).
                  Last edited by Mapko; Thu Mar 1, 2012, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Seems like all the very talented "smaller" ballers growing up now want to be shooters and not particularly distributors. After all how often do you see an espn highlight of a great cross over and pass for a layup/dunk. Of the latest playing group of top PGs only CP3 & Nash get really noted for their assists (am I missing anyone...maybe Kidd but he is pretty much done). The rest get noted for their scoring feats and speed rather than ball distribution.

I understand Marshall can be a very good pass first/defensive PG in the pros but he doesnt have a shot.

Comment

You can learn a shot
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

A player can improve their shooting skills through hard work but most NBA distance shooters are great shooters going all the way back to high school. They have the natural hand eye coordination and depth perception and not always good form from an early age. Improving shot selection can improve percentages.

Comment

A player can improve their shooting skills through hard work but most NBA distance shooters are great shooters going all the way back to high school. They have the natural hand eye coordination and depth perception and not always good form from an early age. Improving shot selection can improve percentages.
                          Good points..

I think the point guards don't have those extra intangibles that former drafts had. Derrick Rose was strong, quick, so athletic. Same with John Wall.

Comment

Each draft class is different from the last and I don't think we should read into it. This is an excellent year for the Raptors. Right now they don't need a PG but the do need wings.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Each draft class is different from the last and I don't think we should read into it. This is an excellent year for the Raptors. Right now they don't need a PG but the do need wings.
                              Alot of people think we do need a point guard, maybe not now, but if we can, get it now. Because Jose is only going to get older, and Bayless doesn't seem to be the ideal point guard for the future, so that will be a key piece at SOME point.

Comment

Working...
                              X