Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline: Lesson learned today? Don't trust Casey (462)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    From Chris Broussard at ESPN

I think we could classify moving either of the above as a major change.
    Whoa.

Although its unlikely, I hope BC isn't just hanging up on GM's calling about Bargs. While I think hes our best piece moving forward (along with Val) I'd certainly move him for the right price ie. lotto pick(s) and young talent
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If I'm the GM you gotta throw a ridiculous offer at me to pry a 7ft match up nightmare making 9.5 million a year. I think Bargnani is now the only person that is safe.
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        Why would you rather Morris as opposed to Bayless running the point? You know what Bayless can do. Morris is still very much a mystery.

I think you're a bit more optimistic about what will occur over the summer. I don't believe that Colangelo and crew will do much. They told us last summer how they wanted to go young and not rush anything. A pick for this team in the 20-25 range basically equates to us acquiring a bench depth player. I'm not too fond of that deal.
        That is why I would prefer Morris running the point.

When Colangelo has said repeatedly the plan is to hit the ground running next year, I believe him. If you don't believe BC and Co. won't do much this summer, then that is where we have a difference of opinion.

A pick in the 20-25 range combined with salary cap space and a couple of young players might turn in to a bigger piece. A 20-25 pick in a deep draft could net a decent player as well. Players always slip - it would be nice to grab one. A 20-25 pick could also develop for a few seasons on a rookie contract and become something.

Comment

You guys think the blazers make a move for a big with oden out for the year? i know the news is shocking to everyone, but clearly they can't bank on him and i read rumors of the blazers cutting him outright.

amir/ed for batum maybe?
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

When Colangelo has said repeatedly the plan is to hit the ground running next year, I believe him. If you don't believe BC and Co. won't do much this summer, then that is where we have a difference of opinion.

A pick in the 20-25 range combined with salary cap space and a couple of young players might turn in to a bigger piece. A 20-25 pick in a deep draft could net a decent player as well. Players always slip - it would be nice to grab one. A 20-25 pick could also develop for a few seasons on a rookie contract and become something.
            agree 100%
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              You guys think the blazers make a move for a big with oden out for the year? i know the news is shocking to everyone, but clearly they can't bank on him and i read rumors of the blazers cutting him outright.

amir/ed for batum maybe?
              i know we've talked about this in depth but suddenly it looks very, very real.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

amir/ed for batum maybe?
                Also, Oden is going to be an UFA next summer.

I don't think Batum will be traded - oh how I'd love to be wrong on that though. It would be really good to have the right to match an offer versus have to extend one.

*EDIT*

I see Portland trying to get through this season and pursuing a C via free agency. There are a few RFA's who might not stick with their team and a few good UFA as well (I am not implying all of these players would be options for Portland):

Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic – $18.1 million – Early Termination Option ($19.5 million)
                Roy Hibbert, Indiana Pacers – $2.6 million – Restricted ($3.7 million Qualifying Offer)
                Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers – $14.9 million – Team Option ($16.1 million)
                Brook Lopez, New Jersey Nets – $3.1 million – Restricted ($4.2 million Qualifying Offer)
                Chris Kaman, New Orleans Hornets – $12.7 million – Unrestricted
                JaVale McGee, Washington Wizards – $2.5 million – Restricted ($3.5 million Qualifying Offer)
                Marcus Camby, Portland Trail Blazers – $12.9 million – Unrestricted
                Spencer Hawes, Philadelphia 76ers – $4.1 million – Unrestricted
                Kwame Brown, Golden State Warriors – $6.8 million – Unrestricted
                Aaron Gray, Toronto Raptors – $2.5 million – Unrestricted
                Robin Lopez, Phoenix Suns – $2.8 million – Restricted ($4.0 million Qualifying Offer)
                Jermaine O’Neal, Boston Celtics – $6.2 million – Unrestricted
                Nazr Mohammed, Oklahoma City Thunder – $3.8 million – Unrestricted
                Omer Asik, Chicago Bulls – $1.9 million – Unrestricted*
                Semih Erden, Cleveland Cavaliers – $0.8 million – Unrestricted*
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Feb 21, 2012, 12:38 PM.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                  I liked what Morris showed from his freshman to sophomore years at Michigan. He is a big PG and seems like a player that works to get better. He does not get by on athleticism and he does concern me on defence (i he quick enough), but I would be happy with him on the roster.

I say no to Beaubois!
                  Not that it says much but Mike Brown noted that Morris was hard working and the FASTEST player on the Lakers.

For what it is worth, I would rather Darius Morris getting a shot to run the show rather than Jerryd Bayless to end the season. As a 21 year old rookie, I would imagine he has a lot to learn. Luckily he has a solid foundation. He was asked to do a lot at Michigan last season which resulted in forcing the issue at times.

Also, it would be very difficult to label it 'selling very low' as would depend on what happens this summer from the added flexibility of shedding Jose's contract. Also, having an extra draft pick that will likely be in 20-25 range will certainly add options. Of course, the salary cap space is for more than free agency.
                  Agree 100%

Comment

Personally, I like Bayless. I've always liked his game, since he was at Arizona, so we're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm intrigued by Morris' length, but that's all I'm intrigued by. He put up some solid numbers in his sophmore year at Michigan, but it raises some flags as to why he dropped to the second round in what was considered a weak draft.

Colangelo has said that his plan is to 'hit the ground running' next season, but as to what his definition of that, who knows. He's going to have to make moves that makes sense for this team going forward, not just for the here and now. I always figured that the goal was to add quality, young players and let them grow together as a core and not to deviate from it. however, who knows.

A pick in the 20-25 range is going to net a young, depth player, no question. But in my opinion (and it's just strictly my opinion - because I know you don't agree) that it's not worth to let go of a guy like Calderon for a guy who you're rolling the dice on (Morris) and a late first rounder. Maybe you turn the first rounder in cash by selling it, but it's hard to sell not only your fan base, but your team as well on a move like that.

Comment

I voted for 'minor tweak(s)' in the poll.

If the poll was asking for what I think will happen between now and the start of next season, then obviously my vote would have been for 'major change(s). I don't think BC is looking to add an impact player to the core of the team during the season, as it would undermine the goal of building through the 2012 draft (ie: hurt the building *cough* tanking *cough* process).

The most likely moves I see the Raptors making this season, ahead of the trade deadline are all related to dumping non-core pieces for draft picks, cap space and expiring contracts. In other words, nothing significant.

These are the only types of moves I expect to happen before the trade deadline. I wouldn't be suprised if they all happened, nor would I be surprised if only one or even none of them did.
                      - Barbosa for a late 1st round pick
                      - Calderon for cap space and mid-late 1st round pick
                      - Bayless for 2nd round pick
                      - Davis for early-mid 1st round pick OR Amir for mid-late 1st round pick
                      - Butler for 2nd round pick (conditional anything or essentially nothing)
                      - Carter for 2nd round pick (conditional anything or essentially nothing)

I could see BC holding onto assets like Bayless and Amir/Davis, with the intention of turning them (and who knows what else, possibly even DeRozan) into a single, more proven asset (ie: Gay/Mayo from Memphis, Batum, etc...) between the trade deadline and the start of training camp.

Comment

I don't think Batum will be traded - oh how I'd love to be wrong on that though. It would be really good to have the right to match an offer versus have to extend one.
                        To be honest, I was almost certain that they'd trade him before the deadline, following the non-extension episode. By not extending him, they knew some teams would overpay him and they could/would not match the offers, which would basically mean he would leave for nothing.

But now that he's starting at the 2, and pretty well, the situation is different : it's not Wallace OR Batum, but it can be both. I see this as a 50/50 : trading him before the deadline to get something if they don't plan to put some money on him, or overpay him (and look a bit stupid if it goes higher than what he wanted before the extension deadline).

Comment

amir/ed for batum maybe?
                          Batum has been playing good ball as of late, so I'm not sure how much they'd want to get rid of him. I'm sure Amir would interest them, but they'd want something more than just Amir - maybe a swap of Calderon and Felton, maybe we add in someone like Kleiza and Gray and they add in Oden. Oden+Batum+Felton for Amir+Calderon+Gray+future 1st (top-10 protected)?

Comment

Oden+Batum+Felton for Amir+Calderon+Gray+future 1st (top-10 protected)?
                            I'm so in for that. If Oden finally get's healthy, we'll have two top Centers. Considering how rare they are in the league, 95% of the teams will be knocking at our door, offering great players. That's a big if, but what is the risk ? Calderon is not part of the future, Gray is expendable and one of Amir or ED has to leave.

And we already have tons of youngsters, so a 2013 pick is fine for me.

Comment

I don't expect anything major. Barbosa and Bayless seem likely contenders for trades given they are almost certain to be gone after the season. Colangelo has already traded Calderon once, so I doubt he'd hesitate to do so again though I don't know if Calderon fetches you anything you really need long term.

I just think that with the state of the NBA right now (handful of contenders, 15 rebuilding teams) it's hard to do deals for vets except to the contenders and the return from those teams is unlikely to be that great. I think in the offseason better deals are there as more teams are in play.

The only major move would be Bargs but he's injured, he's their best player, you need a big return on him and he's not a proven playoff guy. Can't see getting value for him at this point.

Comment

Morris still has a LOT to learn in terms of being a true point guard. You say low risk, high reward - Morris at best could be a solid bench/rotational player. This team needs a guy on the court who will be a calming influence to these young players. Trading Calderon for Morris and a very low 1st round selection is called selling very low.
                                I agree.

We need good stater-quality players and it's highly doubtful either Morris or a late first round pick will amount to more than solid backups, if we are very lucky. Trading one of our starter-quality player for bench players is a losing recipe in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X