Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline: Lesson learned today? Don't trust Casey (462)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's the google translated version of the Brazilian report:

The American journalist Sam Smith said on the website of the NBA Toronto Raptors are desperate to dispatch the Brazilian Leandro Barbosa, thus leaving space for the franchise contract winger Wilson Chandler, who will return to power after the U.S. stint by China.

Leandro is the third highest salary of the Raptors ($ 7.6 million), is in his final year of contract and the Canadians are not very interested in keeping him there.

But believe me, this is not all bad, no. According to a source that deserves credibility, Toronto was contacted by the Boston Celtics to negotiate Leandro Barbosa. The Celtics have heard a single "we can negotiate," prepare a package that must contain a player and a first round choice of the Draft.

The green goal, of course, is to renew its cast (especially the wings), giving good option from the bench (the Brazilian would be great option to relax and even Ray Allen Rajon Rondo) and slightly increase the speed of a team that with three holders over age 30, has become very slow and predictable.

Let's hope the next moves of the Boston Celtics, but it would be fantastic to see Leandrinho with the green shirt.
    The fact that they mention Wilson Chandler makes me think this is old news.

Comment

• The Celtic's pick will probably be 15-20 range unless things drastically change. That's a place where the Raptors could score a pretty good prospect in this draft.

In that range they could take a guy like Terrence Jones or Damien Lillard.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        http://blogs.canada.com/2012/03/02/r...s-trade-value/

If a 3-for-1 deal goes down, we'd need to release 2 players. My guess would be Alabi and Forbes.
        Wilson Chandler has now become irrelevant. I would certainly trade Barbosa for the Clippers draft pick which Boston has and expiring contracts.

I don't think Forbes would be released. He is owed money for next year and it would be a waste of cap space. At the worst he is a 13th, 14th, 15th player. His contract is only $1.5M. He might also help balance a trade now or in the future. Finally, he might actually get his act together as I think he has more ability than what he has shown.

Comment

• If this is any indication of trade value, it certainly says a lot for what we could expect for Calderon -- eg. a helluva lot more than a late-1st and cap space.

I wouldn't have thought Barbosa would bring back that much. That's a fantastic trade for Toronto -- which makes me think it's wishful thinking on the part of some Brazilian newspaper that wants to see LB as a Celtic. I don't know who they would drop, but I'm not sure why Apollo would say Butler and Magloire. I would immediately think Butler/Alabi.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
            If this is any indication of trade value, it certainly says a lot for what we could expect for Calderon -- eg. a helluva lot more than a late-1st and cap space.

I wouldn't have thought Barbosa would bring back that much. That's a fantastic trade for Toronto -- which makes me think it's wishful thinking on the part of some Brazilian newspaper that wants to see LB as a Celtic. I don't know who they would drop, but I'm not sure why Apollo would say Butler and Magloire. I would immediately think Butler/Alabi.
            One could argue that Wilcox makes Magloire expendable (even though he's a PF).

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              One could argue that Wilcox makes Magloire expendable (even though he's a PF).
              I suppose. There's also the possibility, I guess, that they waive Wilcox and Pavlovic, and keep Dooling (who I would see as a "replacement" for Barbosa)... Either way, if this is real, it's a great deal for TO.
              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• There were reports the last few days that Minnesota offered LAL Beasley for a 1st round pick/TPE. The Lakers reportedly said no because of the salary plus luxury tax hit they would take.

Keep in mind the source but there are feelings Howard to LA is dead on both sides. Howard will most likely end up in Brooklyn, Dallas, or stay in Orlando (i.e. pick up his option for next year).

The Rockets are reportedly still interested in Gasol. From the Lakers end it would appear the inclusion of Lowry is needed to make it happen (with Scola of course).

My opinion is Calderon ends up in Houston with Gasol as Houston will need a PG after caving on including Lowry. The Raptors will get the Knicks pick from Houston. The Lakers take the savings of Gasol's contract (about $4.4M) and get Beasley as well.

Calderon to Houston is my thinking. I have not read it anywhere else - so take it for what it is worth! NOTHING!
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Mar 2, 2012, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Not Raptors related but to comment on your post, I think Lowry and Scola for Gasol is good from both sides. The Rockets would hit free agency with only Gasol, K-Mart and Morris on the books. They have a lot of team options on players they could use but if they chose not to they would enter free agency with around $24M in cap space. That's enough to take a run at D12, selling him on being part of a "big three" of Gasol, Martin and himself. They'd have enough to bring in a FA PG, maybe pick up the option on Johnny Flynn and then use vet minimums to fill in the blanks.

Comment

• Don't expect salary to be taken back

Sources say that the Lakers are also among the teams that have inquired about Raptors guard Jose Calderon, but Calderon's $9.8 million salary is too big to fit into the Odom exception. And Toronto isn't willing to take any salary back for either Calderon or Barbosa to work a trade otherwise.

Source

For me, this is good to hear - especially considering the awful contracts currently on the Lakers roster in particular.

Comment

• That's great for a couple reasons:
                      1. BC is really focused on keeping our cap space in two seasons. I think he must have some big plans for that off season.
                      2. BC wants more picks because that's what you are getting if you won't take back salary. Very nice to here.
                      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        There were reports the last few days that Minnesota offered LAL Beasley for a 1st round pick/TPE. The Lakers reportedly said no because of the salary plus luxury tax hit they would take.

Keep in mind the source but there are feelings Howard to LA is dead on both sides. Howard will most likely end up in Brooklyn, Dallas, or stay in Orlando (i.e. pick up his option for next year).

The Rockets are reportedly still interested in Gasol. From the Lakers end it would appear the inclusion of Lowry is needed to make it happen (with Scola of course).

My opinion is Calderon ends up in Houston with Gasol as Houston will need a PG after caving on including Lowry. The Raptors will get the Knicks pick from Houston. The Lakers take the savings of Gasol's contract (about $4.4M) and get Beasley as well.

Calderon to Houston is my thinking. I have not read it anywhere else - so take it for what it is worth! NOTHING!
                        Dude you did read this somewhere else: my trade suggestion from last week. Almost to a T.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                          Dude you did read this somewhere else: my trade suggestion from last week. Almost to a T.
                          Great minds think alike and fools.... ah nevermind.

I've done similar trades in the forum and throughout this thread. Hugmenot has reamed me a few times over this similar idea. If I've plagiarized I apologize but I mentioned this idea originally on February 23rd and your thread in the trade forum started February 27th.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...l=1#post115330

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...l=1#post115332
                          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Mar 3, 2012, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• hateslosing wrote: View Post
                            That's great for a couple reasons:
                            1. BC is really focused on keeping our cap space in two seasons. I think he must have some big plans for that off season.
                            2. BC wants more picks because that's what you are getting if you won't take back salary. Very nice to here.
                            having big plans is one thing, being able to follow through is another.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Lakers still pursuing a PG

It’s no secret that the Los Angeles Lakers want to acquire a point guard at some point in the next two weeks. Prior to the NBA’s trade deadline on March 15, the Lakers hope to upgrade over their current rotation of Derek Fisher, Steve Blake and Darius Morris.

Many different names have surfaced as the Lakers search for a starting-caliber floor general. Los Angeles has swung and missed while pursuing elite point guards such as Rajon Rondo, Kyle Lowry and Deron Williams, and they’ve turned their attention to more obtainable options.

The Lakers have expressed significant interest in Ramon Sessions, who will likely be traded by the Cleveland Cavaliers. After this season, Sessions has a $4,551,626 player option that he likely won’t exercise, which is why Cleveland wants to deal him now before losing him for nothing. This season, Sessions has emerged as a significant contributor behind Kyrie Irving, averaging 10.5 points and 5.4 assists off the bench for Cleveland. In four games as a starter, Sessions has averaged 17.8 points and 11 rebounds.

Los Angeles has also been pursuing Kirk Hinrich in recent weeks. The Lakers have been linked to Hinrich in the past and the Atlanta Hawks would move the veteran point guard if the right deal came along. The two teams have had conversations in recent weeks. Hinrich missed the first month of the season after recovering from shoulder surgery, but has been effective since returning. He’s currently backing up Jeff Teague and while his numbers don’t jump off the page, he does a good job managing Atlanta’s offense and he’s still a stellar perimeter defender. This season, Hinrich is averaging 4.9 points and 2.6 assists.

The Lakers have also been linked to Raymond Felton, who was recently benched by the Portland Trail Blazers in favor of Jamal Crawford. Felton is currently playing the worst basketball of his career, but the 27-year-old may just need a change of scenery. Los Angeles has made their interest in Felton known and will continue to monitor his situation as the trade deadline approaches. This season, Felton is averaging 9.9 points and 6.1 assists.

Over the next two weeks, the Lakers may explore several other options. Around the league, there are a number of quality point guards who could be had for the right price including Jose Calderon, Jarrett Jack, Goran Dragic, Jonny Flynn and Goran Dragic.

If Los Angeles can’t find a trade partner, there are also a number of free agent point guards still available. Gilbert Arenas worked out for the Lakers and has been mentioned the most, but there are also veterans such as Mike James, Earl Boykins and Luther Head.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturd...or-point-guard

I think Calderon getting traded depends on what happens with Gasol. Jose will be in Houston or LA after the trade deadline.

Comment

• I think Calderon will be on this team after trade deadline. I don't see us moving him this season. Maybe draft night, or in the off season but not now. I would like him to continue being Raptor. It would be nice to see us get another young point guard for him to mentor next year though. We need to get another draft pick in this years draft in the right guys declare. (ei Kabongo)

Comment

Working...
                                X