Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline: Lesson learned today? Don't trust Casey (462)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    For the 1st overall pick, maybe
    Maybe? The only player we have rights for that I might not trade for #1 overall is JV.

In any case, if you're right and BC can get more for DeRozan, Davis and AJ than Milwuake's 1st and Charlotte 2nd while not taking on any more salary in return than Livingston's 2nd year, that would be even better. More than likely it wont be easy though. I'd guess most teams have decided these guys are not great starter prospects by this point.

The short answer to what I want the team to do? Trade players that are not fitting in long term for picks. The only trades we can make that will net decent picks (and yes, I think Charlotte's 2nd is a decent pick this year) would probably need to include DeRozan, Davis and AJ.

Maybe Calderon to a Contender. But I want to keep Calderon, as he's one of the few productive starters on the team and the pick from a contender is not likely to be much better than Charlotte's 2nd.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
      Maybe? The only player we have rights for that I might not trade for #1 overall is JV.

In any case, if you're right and BC can get more for DeRozan, Davis and AJ than Milwuake's 1st and Charlotte 2nd while not taking on any more salary in return than Livingston's 2nd year, that would be even better. More than likely it wont be easy though. I'd guess most teams have decided these guys are not great starter prospects by this point.

The short answer to what I want the team to do? Trade players that are not fitting in long term for picks. The only trades we can make that will net decent picks (and yes, I think Charlotte's 2nd is a decent pick this year) would probably need to include DeRozan, Davis and AJ.

Maybe Calderon to a Contender. But I want to keep Calderon, as he's one of the few productive starters on the team and the pick from a contender is not likely to be much better than Charlotte's 2nd.
      I'm sorry to say this but your idea is terrible. Your basically trading 3 promising players, one of which could become an all star down the road, for 2 crap picks outside of the lottery and Fat bo diaw and the former bust shaun livingston. Our entire team will basically be rookies, unless your intent is to turn us into the washington wizards 2.0, this is not a good idea.

Comment

Ryan McNeill @ryanmcneill
        Dwane Casey told the media that the #RTZ have gotten a lot of trade offers for Calderon but they aren't interested in dealing him. #NBA
        Retweeted by Ryan Wolstat
        Stoking the trade fire, Dwane?

Or are you serious?

Comment

Probably trying to drum up some real offers
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            I'm sorry to say this but your idea is terrible. Your basically trading 3 promising players, one of which could become an all star down the road, for 2 crap picks outside of the lottery and Fat bo diaw and the former bust shaun livingston. Our entire team will basically be rookies, unless your intent is to turn us into the washington wizards 2.0, this is not a good idea.
            NoPropsNeeded I've always agreed on you with everything....

That's not gonna change now.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              Hey, I guess I don't believe that the players will even become top-flight starters, let alone all-stars, and I would like more versatility in my backups (unless they play 1 or 5). So, since they can only only really play one position, I would rather send them somewhere where they can be starters, without taking much salary in return.

As mentioned, if Bargnani and JV are starting, I'd rather give the backup minutes at the 4 to JJ and Kleiza, since they can backup the 3 as well, and at the 5 to Aaron Gray who is a legit C. JV/Bargnani/Gray/JJ/Kleiza already covers the 4/5 adequately, with Magliore and Alabi as deep bench insurance. Adding AJ and ED to this mix doesn't improve it terribly.

What would improve the team tremendously is a all-star calibre starting 3, which is what our #1 pick will hopefully bring. No team is going to trade us an all-star calibre starter for any or all of DeMar, Amir and Ed. Hopefully MKG or Barnes is the one or maybe luck out with Milwaukee's pick and have Quincy Miller fall. Or maybe the cap space this opens up gets us Wilson Chandler.

As for DeRozan, I no longer believe DeMar can be a top-tier starter, a lot of you may disagree, but I think we'd get by starting Bayless or Livingston at the 2, and once again look to the draft or free agency to find our starting two. Jeremy Lamb, Bradley Beal and other potential draft choices as well as Wilson Chandler, again being options here one way or the other.

I agree that my trade maybe doesn't get "value" in terms of what we get back, but I don't care about equal value, which normally means promising players that are not fitting in somewhere else. That seems like a lateral move. I want flexibility, meaning cap space and draft picks.

In the end, I'll be happy if the result is a starting line up of:

1 Calderon
              2 Chandler
              3 MKG
              4 Bargnani
              5 JV

With a bench that includes JJ, Kleiza, Bayless, and Gray, along with some upside in perhaps Beal or Lamb that would eventually push Chandler to the bench. In any case, Chandler is a versatile player who can play either 2 or 3, so would be welcome on the bench even when no longer a starter. Grabbing somebody like Alex Young with Charlotte's 2nd rounder could be a nice pick up as well.

And if Wilson Chandler doesn't work out, as mentioned, Livingston or Bayless could hold the fort at the 2 till one of the prospects developed or we found a free agent to take our money.

Best,

Comment

On the list of missions accomplished in the first half of the Toronto Raptors' schedule, getting Jose Calderon to play up his trade value must surely be at the top.

Yet when general manager Bryan Colangelo and head coach Dwane Casey and his staff do their blue-skying for next season, and figure out the point-guard ‘what-ares’ in the upcoming draft, the trade ‘might-be's’ and free-agent possibilities, they may well reach an obvious conclusion: the Raptors might be best-served keeping Calderon.

“We’re trying to hold on to him and keep him, but he has played his way into a very high status as a point guard,” Casey said Wednesday, before the Raptors beat the Detroit Pistons 103-93 to hit the halfway point of the NBA’s condensed 66-game regular-season schedule with a .303 winning percentage (10-23.) “A lot of teams have been calling and wanting him.”

Yet something happened over the course of the Raptors' seven-game homestand, during which they went 2-5. Calderon went off, averaging 16.7 points, 11.1 assists and just under 35 minutes, including setting career highs in points (30) and field goals (13) in a loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. Wednesday, he had 15 assists for the second time on the homestand, to go along with six points. He is, as Casey noted, one of the Raptors' best shooters but he has also had more ups than downs defensively. “Last year was just a parade of paint points starting with him and then the big guy,” Casey said.

Which brings us to the 30-year-old Calderon, who has one year and $10,561,985 (U.S.) remaining on his contract. There are Raptors fans who would have taken the Pistons' Brandon Knight fifth overall in the draft instead of the big Lithuanian Jonas Valanciunas. But Knight – who had 16 points in a game in which Casey went to the whip in a first-half huddle, tearing into his big players for letting the Pistons' quick guards have free run – went eighth and isn’t exactly a pure point guard, and the fact is that this draft is deep in every area but the point.

So if the Raptors do end up in the lottery any point guard they’d take would be a horrible reach. Trade for a point guard? With what? Calderon – another point guard? Free agency doesn’t offer a great deal either. Deron Williams isn’t coming here. Beyond that? There isn’t much.

Calderon’s bought what Casey is selling. And perhaps Wednesday, Casey was doing some selling of his own – to his boss. “That is why we need Jose,” said Casey. “That’s the argument for him. He gives us stability. You need that leadership.” Calderon has gone from being an inhibitor to a facilitator. What once seemed so clear-cut is no longer the case. Full credit to Jose Calderon.
                Source

What do you think:

Is Casey publicly pleading BC to keep him?

OR

Is Casey publicly inflating his trade value?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

What do you think:

Is Casey publicly pleading BC to keep him?

OR

Is Casey publicly inflating his trade value?
                  Casey doesn't seem like the type to play that game.

Aside from that, Calderon really seems to understand the game. If you were a new coach, with a lot of young players, and a couple of more promising rookies coming next year, wouldn't you want a floor general who has court vision, a good shot, and a high assist to turnover ratio to help you shepherd your young crew towards some kind of organized offensive effectiveness?

Just saying.

Comment

Johnny Flynn is a guy worth taking a flier on and his stock is probably as low as it's going to get. Maybe they should look into bringing in a guy like that at the deadline? Alternatively I do like D.J. Augustin even if he's got Brandon Jennings size.

Comment

• I hope DC is inflating trade value.

My concerns with Jose for next year are 100% injury and long term related.

Comment

• Matt, why must it be one or the other?

Can it be just as simple that coach Casey acknowledging Calderon's value at the same time he acknowledges basketball is a business?

Calderon fits very well with the slow tempo offense Casey set in and I believe he will be a valuable rotation player for several more years. Who would not want that type of player on his team?

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                          Matt, why must it be one or the other?

Can it be just as simple that coach Casey acknowledging Calderon's value at the same time he acknowledges basketball is a business?

Calderon fits very well with the slow tempo offense Casey set in and I believe he will be a valuable rotation player for several more years. Who would not want that type of player on his team?
                          Good point on the bold.

The offense might be slow tempo but the defense is 100% go-go-go which is not so easy on the hammies and groin.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                            Except Barbosa and Bayless are only available for trading prior to Mar. 15th.
                            i suppose. but, i dont think your getting much for them and they can be replaced if they left. i was thinking more amir, kleiza.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• I think Calderon should be kept. If this is a development year, it doesn't make sense to trade away the player who routinely helps his younger teammates get the ball in the right spots.

Without a player like Calderon, I think the development of our young players takes a step back.

Comment

• AJ360 wrote: View Post
                                I think Calderon should be kept. If this is a development year, it doesn't make sense to trade away the player who routinely helps his younger teammates get the ball in the right spots.

Without a player like Calderon, I think the development of our young players takes a step back.
                                I agree, Bayless is a scoring guard, and whoever they get to back him up will not be better than Bayless in giving the ball to others. There are only a couple of true point guards left, and one coming in the draft very rarely i.e Ricky Rubio.

Keep Jose, unless we get a very good deal in that sense, but let him retire here, let him retire his jersey. He's one of the only elite point guards left in the league. Him, Rondo, Paul, Nash, Kidd are basically the only guys left in this league, that can get everyone the ball, and continue to do their thing.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X