Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline: Lesson learned today? Don't trust Casey (462)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not bad...but I'd rather we get Lowry and LA be satisfied with Dragic and what ever combination. I believe we are in a position of strength here with Calderon playing as well as he is and LA/Houston a bit more "desperate" about their positions. I would also expand the deal to include Barbosa to try and pry one of those 1st picks from Houston. Wouldnt that be nice? This is why I rarely get involved in these trade thingies....so much bb masturbation.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7npv9sy

Something like this is what I was thinking - different pieces easily sent to Toronto. Toronto then has $4.1M extra to add to the $4.3M of cap space. They can make a play on Chandler (but hopefully not for $8.4M).
      are we getting back picks here too? i like this trade but i would much rather picks with morris instead of other players especially centers.

seems like the rockets get everything they want and the lakers get a bit younger with a replacement about 75% as good as gasol.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
        Not bad...but I'd rather we get Lowry and LA be satisfied with Dragic and what ever combination. I believe we are in a position of strength here with Calderon playing as well as he is and LA/Houston a bit more "desperate" about their positions. I would also expand the deal to include Barbosa to try and pry one of those 1st picks from Houston. Wouldnt that be nice? This is why I rarely get involved in these trade thingies....so much bb masturbation.
        I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. The Lakers have made it clear they are not giving up Gasol for just Scola and Martin - they want Lowry. I don't think Dragic will get it done because if it would, the deal would have already been made.

Comment

I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. The Lakers have made it clear they are not giving up Gasol for just Scola and Martin - they want Lowry. I don't think Dragic will get it done because if it would, the deal would have already been made.
          I keep forgetting their previous prize was CP3. You are right about LA balking. But this is what it is all about. Keeping WC/cap space reduction out of the picture here I would play similar hardball with these guys. Both Calderon & Barbosa are for their taking and I dont know that they have a lot of comparables in the market available to these 2 teams who can actually use them either for the run this year and expiring salaries. Unless I am reading this wrong (and its because what Houston was willing to give up for Gasol earlier) Houston will overpay here...may even give up Calderon & Lowry in the arrangement. LA or TO will have to settle KMart...because he is done in Houston. Bottom line for me is that Lowry & a 1st to TO in a deal here for Calderon & Barbosa and we maintain our "suckage" for the rest of the season. Oddly I believe we are dealing from a position of strength because we can deal these players and not necessarily be hurt by their departure now. With apologies to all who want Jose to stay here.
          Last edited by Bendit; Thu Feb 23, 2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• I actually really like that trade for each team. Nice work.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7npv9sy

Something like this is what I was thinking - different pieces easily sent to Toronto. Toronto then has $4.1M extra to add to the $4.3M of cap space. They can make a play on Chandler (but hopefully not for $8.4M).
              So we trade a quality starting point guard for

1) an undrafted rookie point guard who played an amazing 9:16 combined in the past 15 games despite playing behind the worst starting point guard in the NBA and another rookie PG who averages 0.5 assist per 11:30.
              2) a 24 year old backup small forward who is far worse than what we currently and will likely be out of the NBA next year or sooner if the Raptors release him right away.
              3) a 24 year old backup power forward - center who is god awful defender (see 82games to see his opponents PER for the past 3 years).

But we will have cap space to sign a free agent or to facilitate trades! And maybe a mid to late first round so we can pick a prospect and hope for the best!

And no point guard (unless you consider Bayless or Morris worthy of the name).

No, just no.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                So we trade a quality starting point guard for

1) an undrafted rookie point guard who played an amazing 9:16 combined in the past 15 games despite playing behind the worst starting point guard in the NBA and another rookie PG who averages 0.5 assist per 11:30.
                2) a 24 year old backup small forward who is far worse than what we currently and will likely be out of the NBA next year or sooner if the Raptors release him right away.
                3) a 24 year old backup power forward - center who is god awful defender (see 82games to see his opponents PER for the past 3 years).

But we will have cap space to sign a free agent or to facilitate trades! And maybe a mid to late first round so we can pick a prospect and hope for the best!

And no point guard (unless you consider Bayless or Morris worthy of the name).

No, just no.
                You nailed it!

Comment

• I've read rumblings of discontent in Indiana regarding Darren Collison. He never has lived up to the hype he had in 2009-10 when Chris Paul was injured. However, I can't help but recall the 18 and 9 he averaged as a rookie. He is undersized but so is Ty Lawson to name one of many. There are grumblings of starting George Hill at PG and Vogel has hinted at it as well.

Jose Calderon

Strengths: An unselfish playmaker with excellent court vision. Looks to pass first. A natural 2-guard who adapted perfectly to the point guard role, but never lost his perimeter skills. Great size for a point guard. 30 years old, but still well within his prime.

Weaknesses: Has battled inconsistency throughout NBA career. Only an average defender. Quick, but not blazing-fast in the open court. Injury-prone.

The Trade: Indiana gets Calderon and Leandro Barbosa, Toronto gets Darren Collison and Dahntay Jones.

* Indiana does this trade to upgrade Collison. While Collison is younger and faster than Calderon, that’s it. He’s his equal offensively, but is apparently only a fraction of the facilitator that the Spaniard is. In five seasons as at least a part-time starter, counting this one, Calderon has averaged at least 8 assists per game four times. His size and experience advantage over Collison alone may make him worth his gaudy contract as the Pacers try to make a push for a #4 seed. Pacers fans are well-aware of Collison’s shortcomings (no pun intended) as a defender, and while Calderon’s no Rajon Rondo, he can certainly avoid being bodied by much larger guards. Barbosa would be a half-year rental; he expires this summer. But assuming he can co-exist with Danny Granger he’d actually be a pretty perfect offensive compliment off of the Pacers’ bench. He’s a microwave-type scorer, which, as we’ve said numerous times before, Indiana desperately needs in order to be taken seriously in a long playoff series.

* For Toronto they’re losing major value in this trade, as it is the definitive salary dump. But there’s plenty of logic behind the deal. Wilson Chandler is currently interested in Toronto, but the Raptors have only $4-ish million to offer him, a number Denver can easily match (and since Chandler’s a restricted free agent, the Nuggets can match anything without regard to the salary cap). The only way Toronto can free up enough money to make Chandler an offer too big for Denver is to dump salary on a team with cap space. This mutual interest between Chandler and the Raptors coincided perfectly with the Raptors’ Thursday proclamation that they would be interested in shopping Calderon, the team’s least cap-friendly contract (he’s signed for the next two years at nearly $10 million per season). Conveniently, Toronto is playing it like they’re getting calls about Calderon, trying to drum up interest and create this false sense of urgency for other teams. Enter Indiana. This trade would save Toronto $13 million immediately, and around $7 million next season. It turns their $4 million in cap space into close to $17 million, which is more than enough to overpay for Chandler. If Toronto really wants to build around a young core of Andrea Bargnani, DeMar DeRozan, Ed Davis, James Johnson, a high draft pick this year and Chandler, well, this is the only way to do it. And when you list all of their young talent like that, the idea doesn’t sound too bad.

Chances of Actually Happening: 30%

If only…The Pacers and Raptors had more time to consumate a deal. Toronto has less than a week to clear cap space for Chandler and scare off Denver before a new rule requires him to sign with the Nuggets for the remainder of the season. First of all, Toronto would need Chandler to commit to signing there before they actually cleared the space. Secondly, they’d need the Nuggets to stay out of their way while they were clearing the space. Finally they’d have to get Larry Bird to play ball prior to the last possible minute, something he had no interest in last trade deadline, as evidenced by the vaguely fumbled O.J. Mayo for Josh McRoberts deal that could have gone down. There are too many unknowns, and there simply isn’t enough time and motivation for these trickster GMs to agree to play nice with one another in the interest of mutual betterment.

http://alwaysmillertime.com/2012/02/...f-only-options
                  There have been rumours in the past of Indiana being interested in Jose.

I would do this as is or I would push my luck and try to swap Raps 2012 2nd round pick for Indiana's first - maybe throw in another future 2nd round pick.
                  Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Feb 24, 2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• It was only a couple years ago that Collison was a hot commodity coming out of New Orleans.

Comment

• Interesting and complex scenario. I believe a straight up swap of Calderon for Collison would not be in the best interests of the Raptors but if that deal facilitates Chandler's signing then I'm on board.

Comment

• I'd do it. Jones is a underrated defender, too. He's nowhere close to DeMar offensively but he'd be fantastic at the end of close games when DeMar usually disappears anyways.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                          Interesting and complex scenario. I believe a straight up swap of Calderon for Collison would not be in the best interests of the Raptors but if that deal facilitates Chandler's signing then I'm on board.
                          I didn't view it as complex, did I miss something?

Jose and Barbosa for Collison and Jones.

If Toronto could do Collison for Calderon straight up, I'd do that in a heart beat, as well.

Comment

• I like that trade We get the pg of the future plus a defensive duo with jones and Johnson. And we have cap space to sign chandler. The question is will indiana do it? If we include our second rounder it might sweeten the deal a bit

Comment

• Calderon to Orlando?

Crazy days ahead! Keep in mind this is just a rumour!

Rumor mill to work overtime

Bynum probably has the best approach. Magic fans, you're going to hear wild rumors galore surrounding Howard until the March 15 trade deadline.

There's a rumor circulating involving Howard, where the deal actually will come down March 1.

It goes something like this: The Magic send Howard, SF Hedo Turkoglu and Nelson to the Lakers; the Magic receive Bynum and Gasol. The salaries are close to matching up, making the deal work.

A third team, the Toronto Raptors, could be part of the deal or in a separate trade with the Magic, sending PG José Calderon to Orlando.

Could be a great deal for the Magic, under the circumstances. There are some obvious holes in the scenario or scenarios.

For one, what do the Raptors get out of it? But the biggest hole is this: Howard is apparently cool on joining Kobe in L.A.

You've been warned.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport....column?page=2

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=78u5574

What would the Raptors get out of it?

1) It keeps Howard and, inevitably, Williams out of Brooklyn and the Atlantic division.
                              2) I am going to speculate Redick is the piece going to Toronto and he is a solid backup PG - 3 and D. He was on a front loaded contract and next year is the last year at $6M. This gives the Raptors an extra $4.5M next year in cap space.
                              3) I am also going to speculate some draft picks are going to Toronto: either Orlando's and/or 1 of the 2 first round picks LAL has.

*EDIT*

Keep in mind, if the rumour was true of course, the Raptors could get involved in the trade and receive no contracts in return.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=857xy49
                              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Feb 26, 2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Crazy days ahead! Keep in mind this is just a rumour!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=78u5574

What would the Raptors get out of it?

1) It keeps Howard and, inevitably, Williams out of Brooklyn and the Atlantic division.
                                2) I am going to speculate Redick is the piece going to Toronto and he is a solid backup PG - 3 and D. He was on a front loaded contract and next year is the last year at $6M. This gives the Raptors an extra $4.5M next year in cap space.
                                3) I am also going to speculate some draft picks are going to Toronto: either Orlando's and/or 1 of the 2 first round picks LAL has.

*EDIT*

Keep in mind, if the rumour was true of course, the Raptors could get involved in the trade and receive no contracts in return.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=857xy49
                                That's actually not a bad deal.

LAL - Obviously the get Howard. But who would play PF for them, McRoberts? I imagine they'd look at another deal, but that's their problem.

ORL - A pretty solid haul for them to get a young C and the veteran Spanish PF/PG dual of Gasol & Calderon.

TOR - In the bottom deal you linked to, it seems like Toronto would get a TPE for Calderon, in addition to whatever draft pick(s) they would get. I would expect at least one 1st round pick to go along with the TPE that would be generated.

Comment

Working...
                                X