Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto-Utah-Atlanta

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7oh4kmu

Toronto: Devin Harris, Kirk Hinrich, 2012 first round pick from ATL, pick from Utah (maybe?)
    Utah: Jose Calderon, Marvin Williams
    Atlanta: Barbosa, CJ Miles, Aaron Gray

Rationale:

Toronto clears cap space for this summer. Calderon is the better PG of Harris but Harris is not far removed from being very good - he will also be in a contract year next season. Harris also makes $2M less than Calderon next season. In the last few games he has also showed signs of life.

Utah gets better at the point and on the wing. Williams is reportedly not happy in Atlanta. Utah is never going to be a free agent hot spot destination so adding the extra salary is not going to be a big deal as improving through trade is realistically their best option (much like Toronto it would appear).

Atlanta clears $7.5M in salary for next year and improves for their playoff run for this year. They need another big and Aaron Gray is much better than Erick Dampier who has signed 2 ten day contracts. Of late, JJ has been and is more than capable of starting at SF and Willie Green has started at SG. This off season Atlanta, with the $7.5M less in salary for Williams, could make a run at RFA Brook Lopez if Orlando fails to do a sign and trade with Orlando and D12 signs unrestricted in NJ. Josh Smith and Howard are good friends as well so ATL would have a nice piece to give up in a sign and trade with NJ and could have a front line next season of JJ-Horford-Lopez (not too bad). Atlanta has always been looking for a true C to pair with Horford.

Utah gets better at the point, but why would they acquire Williams to block Hayward?

And the end result for Toronto is that they have a downgrade at the point guard save 2 million and acquire a lotto pick from Atlanta - because Utah's not gonna give up their pick in that deal. I don't know. A pick in the 20's, a savings of 2 million and a downgrade at the point guard position is quite negligible.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
      Utah gets better at the point, but why would they acquire Williams to block Hayward?

And the end result for Toronto is that they have a downgrade at the point guard save 2 million and acquire a lotto pick from Atlanta - because Utah's not gonna give up their pick in that deal. I don't know. A pick in the 20's, a savings of 2 million and a downgrade at the point guard position is quite negligible.
      Is Hayward a legit starter? He has shown promise but still not certain of it.

Raja Bell isn't getting younger. A three man rotation of Burks, Hayward, and Williams moving forward might be good on the wing.

My thinking was Harris heading in to a contract year might not be a bad thing to have. If Harris returned to the Harris of old it is debatable on the downgrade.

The low-20 pick could also be used to draft a young PG.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Is Hayward a legit starter? He has shown promise but still not certain of it.

Raja Bell isn't getting younger. A three man rotation of Burks, Hayward, and Williams moving forward might be good on the wing.

My thinking was Harris heading in to a contract year might not be a bad thing to have. If Harris returned to the Harris of old it is debatable on the downgrade.

The low-20 pick could also be used to draft a young PG.
        I'd actually only do this deal for a pick from Utah. Harris has been a disappointment, and Calderon is a steady/capable guard. Neither are all-stars, but Calderon is much better than Harris.

Utah could potentially have two picks in the draft. They have a lottery protected pick going to Minny and GSW's top 7 protected pick. Right now they are border-line lottery (12th worst spot). If they do not make it into the playoffs, and are ranked in the lottery, that pick might work - of course the deal would have to be done in the off season then.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I'd actually only do this deal for a pick from Utah. Harris has been a disappointment, and Calderon is a steady/capable guard. Neither are all-stars, but Calderon is much better than Harris.

Utah could potentially have two picks in the draft. They have a lottery protected pick going to Minny and GSW's top 7 protected pick. Right now they are border-line lottery (12th worst spot). If they do not make it into the playoffs, and are ranked in the lottery, that pick might work - of course the deal would have to be done in the off season then.
          Word. I'd only do that deal if it's Utah's pick (which will be in the teens) - which is borderline lotto...but I can't see the Jazz doing that.

Comment

Working...
          X