Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Bird is VERY open to taking on added salary...Barbosa???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimmie wrote: View Post
    I'll be surprised if Chandler isn't looking for more than $8M per.

I'm not at all worried about making the playoffs. Losing more games this season isn't the issue (although it also shouldn't be the rationale behind any roster move; tanking is hardly a proven team-building method). The issue is how they will lose those games, and what they will be giving up, in terms of player development, in the process.

What does Chandler do for this team this season that he wouldn't do for the team if signed this off-season instead? On the one hand, you say he won't command that much cash, but on the other, Toronto has to rush to make a play for him now, in order to beat out all the other teams that will be vying for his services if they wait? Does not compute.

Either the guy is some kind of heavily-sought-after superstar wing who must be signed NOW or risk losing him forever (at the expense of giving up the one player on the team who can actually help to facilitate the development of the young players), or he is not.

If he is not a guy who is going to be a core part of getting this team into playoff contention, then crafting some trade just to get the cap space to sign him is not a great idea at the moment, in my opinion.
    I am mostly in agreement with your last few posts but must comment on your musing about Chandler wanting more than 8 mil/per. imv, that would be excessive...and I certainly dont think he will get that from Denver. Gallinari is their long term starter just signed for 10/ so WC will be in as backup. Their sg positions already have Affalo & Rudy Fernandez and he would also be slated in as a backup there (that is a deep team!). My own view is Batum might command the 8-9 mil./ and WC a step lower (6-7). Now, he might command a bit of a premium signing with the Raps. Also Denver may just be posturing so as to extract an asset from another team...dont know if WC doesnt want to be a starter which is a bit problematic in Denver.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
      You guys are crazy, Calderon is among the best pick and roll guys in the game and I would argue that he is currently the best after Nash and maybe Paul. He only has a year left on his contract. You want to move him for Collison and a second? I might take Collison and a first but come on, the guy only gets 5 assists a game on a team that is way better than the Raps.
      This team needs a great set up guy to succeed: Jose is that guy. Everyone wants to get an all star point but they forget that when this team was in the playoffs and had Bosh, Jose was basically on that level and was snubbed. We put the right guys around him, and Jose will lead us to a title, he is that good.
      You're ignoring Calderon's age. When the Raptors are "good" (in 3-5 years), how big of a role do you see Calderon playing?

If this was 5 years ago, there would be a strong case to stick with Calderon. But Colangelo has said on many occasions this season, that he'll be looking to fill the hole at PG. He's basically saying that Calderon isn't part of the future.

Comment

It's hard to say if Calderon will even be in the NBA in five seasons. Who knows, maybe he looks to go back to Spain and play out his twilight seasons? I know Calderon plays to win and he wants to be competitive but International players don't always value NBA championships like North American born players do.

Comment

This thread about Barbosa?

How about the Lakers as an option? They have the TPE from the Lamar Odom deal ... aaaand they also happen to have TWO first round picks this year, once of which they would likely offer to rent Blur for a playoff run.

I actually want to keep Blur, and re-sign him in the offseason, but if we could get a first rounder for him - and still have a chance at bringing him back this offseason, that is a good scenario.
          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

I mentioned this in another thread just now and I think it's possible. I don't think they include any first rounders though. The Raptors have no leverage because the Lakers would be doing them a favor by taking Barbosa at this point given the circumstances.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I mentioned this in another thread just now and I think it's possible. I don't think they include any first rounders though. The Raptors have no leverage because the Lakers would be doing them a favor by taking Barbosa at this point given the circumstances.
              I guess if we're not in the running for getting Wilson Chandler, then there is less reason to want to dump Barbosa ... other than saving a few bucks between now and the end of the year. We need that Guard depth badly, so maybe we just keep him?
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                The only way the Lakers help out is if they Raptors take salary back. Barbosa at $7.6M prorated would be $15.2M prorated as they are tax payers.

Comment

Barbosa is a UFA so there is no guarantee they can even keep him. Their best bet is moving him before the trade deadline to either add something of value or to facilitate another move which adds something of value.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    The only way the Lakers help out is if they Raptors take salary back. Barbosa at $7.6M prorated would be $15.2M prorated as they are tax payers.
                    If the Lakers use their TPE on Barbosa wouldn't it end up costing them the same? I thought the TPE counted against the cap.. so they'd be in tax territory regardless. I could be completely wrong about this though.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      If the Lakers use their TPE on Barbosa wouldn't it end up costing them the same? I thought the TPE counted against the cap.. so they'd be in tax territory regardless. I could be completely wrong about this though.
                      The TPE has no money value until a contract is assigned to it. Right now their $8.9M TPE is worth $0 against the cap. As soon as they absorb a contract, they have to pay for it plus the luxury tax (currently $1 for $1).

Comment

Working...
                      X