Thread: what about marvin williams

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what about marvin williams

read that he wasn't happy with his role.

what do you think about him as sf instead of batum or chandler(hypothetically of course)
    he can hit the 3 has good hands. not a bad player. but i think that calderon to atlanta for hinrich and williams.

trade machine only works if i add in alabi but i think that something somehow can be figured out.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I could see Marvin's numbers going up with the Raptors, but not sure how much more he would give you that James Johnson isn't giving you right now. They're both pretty even right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention what he'd give up defensively

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I shouldnt say anything I can't remember the last time I've seen him play

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Actually I shouldnt say anything I can't remember the last time I've seen him play
    He's actually underrated defensively, he doesn't give up as much as James Johnson I can tell you that.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

James Johnson is one of the better defending wings in league..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    James Johnson is one of the better defending wings in league..
    Yeah but James Johnson isn't a defensive stopper......

Marvin Williams can play defense, he's not a Ron Artest, LeBron James, type defender, but he can stop ball and make it hard. It's not bad defense he plays, it's just not great.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    He's actually underrated defensively, he doesn't give up as much as James Johnson I can tell you that.
    Prove it. What is your opinion based on?

Post Thanks / Like

The Hawks gave him a pretty nice contract, so they think pretty well of him. With that being said, they're not going to just give him away.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In reply to the thread title ...

What ABOUT Marvin Wiliams ?

not interested at all

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Marvin Williams claim to fame....he was picked by Atlanta instead of CP3....to their everlasting regret. Somewhat similar to the Raps (but not as bad) when they opted for Joey Graham instead of Granger.

No thanks. I'd much prefer a Chandler or a Batum.
    Last edited by Bendit; Sat Feb 25th, 2012 at 06:34 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote pesterm1 wrote: View Post
    In reply to the thread title ...

What ABOUT Marvin Wiliams ?

not interested at all
    Seconded. The guy has never reached his potential, he is what he is: a 25-minute, 9 and 5 guy. Do not want.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Post Thanks / Like

Meh.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Yeah but James Johnson isn't a defensive stopper......

Marvin Williams can play defense, he's not a Ron Artest, LeBron James, type defender, but he can stop ball and make it hard. It's not bad defense he plays, it's just not great.
    He's the best defender I've seen in a raptors uniform... whatever that says. He can take over a game on that end. I'm really not sure why more of his blocks don't make the highlight reals. No one has lit him up this year, and Casey has 100 percent confidence in him. His offence is finally finding it's stride. He's taking it hard to the hoop all the time. You should pay more attention to his game.

As for Marvin, I thought BC should have went with him instead of Turk a few years ago. He would have been cheaper and Atlanta wouldn't have been able to match. However, he is inconsistent and can disappear during games.

The Klieza and JJ combo isn't bad for now. Give it another year and see how things work out with the draft and Jonas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote speedbag wrote: View Post
    He's the best defender I've seen in a raptors uniform... whatever that says. He can take over a game on that end. I'm really not sure why more of his blocks don't make the highlight reals. No one has lit him up this year, and Casey has 100 percent confidence in him. His offence is finally finding it's stride. He's taking it hard to the hoop all the time. You should pay more attention to his game.

As for Marvin, I thought BC should have went with him instead of Turk a few years ago. He would have been cheaper and Atlanta wouldn't have been able to match. However, he is inconsistent and can disappear during games.

The Klieza and JJ combo isn't bad for now. Give it another year and see how things work out with the draft and Jonas.
    Yeah but they aren't an answer at the three, I would love them on this team for years to come, but they aren't going to get things done in the playoffs where it was probably a very important piece when it comes to production.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote speedbag wrote: View Post
    You should pay more attention to his game.
    So if you say he's the best defender on a Raptor uniform, that means you haven't seen Doug Christie, who was KNOWN as a perimeter stopper. James Johnson lets up points, sure he blocks shots and grabs defensive rebounds, but he wasn't really stopping guys from scoring. Don't get me wrong, I've been loving James Johnson's game on both ends of the court, but his defense is not amazing, but its pretty good.
    We were talking about Marvin Williams' defense. I see his offense, and I've talked about his better decisions, better shots, aggressiveness, I've seen it. It's been helping the team, plus he has better ball-handling than Derozan..

You should read more of the threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    Prove it. What is your opinion based on?
    They don't just play defense at the same rate, but they play offense at the same rate.

For forwards.

PER #56 Marvin Williams #57 James Johnson

Btw, I meant "doesn't give up as much" as he doesn't get scored on any less.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah your argument just shot itself in the foot the moment you showed us they have virtually identical stats.

Thread Information