This debate has been discussed in various threads, but I'd like to start a new one to focus on this question. If we can add a poll to it even better (but I think a mod has to do that).
If you had to choose between keeping one of Ed Davis or Amir Johnson which do you keep and which do you trade away? It would be nice to have them both but that position seems to be stacked, and trading one away now for a position of need seems to make more sense when thinking of the future.
Here is a pro/con list that I created for both.
Reasons for keeping Amir:
- Plays with a lot of hustle
- His salary is actually pretty decent.
- He's still very young (24 years).
- Does very well in the pick and roll.
- Has a mid-range game.
- Can play both center and PF.
- He's tough (will play even if injured)
- Was the best Rap statistically last year.
- Loves the city of Toronto.
Reasons for trading Amir:
- He is inconsistent.
- Too foul prone.
- Too much of a tweener down low.
- Has a mid-range game, but it takes a long time to get his shot off, which is infuriating.
- Even though his salary is decent, he is still the 4th highest paid Rap (after Barbosa, who's a FA), and makes more than the mid-level
- May have already hit his peak.
- Could be considered redundant when JV comes here as they play a similar style of game.
Reasons for keeping Ed:
- Still in his rookie contract.
- Has loads of potential.
- Seems to have a very high IQ.
- Good NBA pedigree
- Can give you a consistent double/double
- Still has ability to gain more strength
- Still has never had a decent training camp.
- Could be seen as a player a team would want on a contending team.
Reasons to trade Ed:
- He doesn't always seem to play with 100% focus
- Has really no outside-shot
- He may not like Toronto, so the chances of him jetting could be real once he becomes a FA
- He has regressed a bit this season as a sophomore.
- Casey is giving him less minutes than Triano did last season, and that's with Bargnani injured for so many games.
Ideally I'd want to keep both. However if a trade opportunity comes that can make the team better, I'd prefer to keep Amir and trade Ed.
Who would you pick if you had to make the choice, and why?