Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ESPN Insider: Small trades, big impact - Jose Calderon for Devin Harris

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    I think maybe he was suggesting $2M/per for 5. Which I think is too low, but I agree with the principle. If Toronto could have Calderon starting next year and possibly the following year, while grooming a younger point, and if he'd sign for MLE-type money over a 3-year contract, I would be all for that.
    +1

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe he was suggesting $2M/per for 5. Which I think is too low, but I agree with the principle. If Toronto could have Calderon starting next year and possibly the following year, while grooming a younger point, and if he'd sign for MLE-type money over a 3-year contract, I would be all for that.
    If Calderon said, "I'm done playing international ball." I'd be all over it, too.

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen and injuries will always be my concern with him. For all the arguments of how he makes players better, he is not going to help anyone getting treatment in practice and sitting on the bench during games.

A healthy Calderon at $5M per year would be great - especially with a younger PG being groomed.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't see an injury issue; it's always been overblown, IMO. Missing 10-15 games a season is worth it for what he brings, and especially if his minutes are declining as the new PG develops.

His minutes at the international level will also inevitably continue to decline as they have been since Rubio took over as the lead guard for Spain.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't see an injury issue; it's always been overblown, IMO. Missing 10-15 games a season is worth it for what he brings, and especially if his minutes are declining as the new PG develops.

His minutes at the international level will also inevitably continue to decline as they have been since Rubio took over as the lead guard for Spain.
    I don't feel history backs the idea injuries are not a concern. Personally, I do see consistently missing 10-15 games a season as being a problem but that is not the bigger problem. The bigger problem is he is not playing at 100%. Calderon is good but he is not good enough to not be 100% or very near to it. Over the years he has played but he struggled. We've always listened to the excuse he is nursing groin/hamstring/back. If you look through his injury history you'll see the majority of missed games are early in the season and he deals with those injuries all season.

No doubt Rubio will be the lead guard but Jose will still have a very important role to play with Spain's national team for the foreseeable future - ironically barring injury.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions: Are we having this discussion if Calderon is making 5mm per year over the next two years? IE do we dislike the man because we dislike the contract?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote the_gibba wrote: View Post
    Questions: Are we having this discussion if Calderon is making 5mm per year over the next two years? IE do we dislike the man because we dislike the contract?
    The contract, for me, is only half of the equation. My issues are:

1) he ties up $10.5 of $58M next season. I think that money can be better used for next year. (so that is the contract)
    2) he is a starter with a history of injury after international competition heading in to an Olympic summer. Whether he is paid $5M or $10M at this time he is currently the starter and I don't see him contributing in the trainer's room or on the bench in a suit.

Thinking back the last 2 years of how poorly he was viewed around the league it seems to me, given now the idea of trading him or a team taking him on is no longer laughed at by the ESPN chat crew or HoopsWorld.com chat crew, it is the time to strike. He will not be the starter long term (take BC's word for that, not mine) and he is one tweaked hammy or groin away from being a regret of not acting now.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Favourite Player in the World

... is Jose. If we can get this deal, take it. In a heartbeat, take it. If we are still lost in our search for a good point to lead the show, we can make a run at him in a season and a half when he becomes a free agent.
    This trade is too good to be true.

Post Thanks / Like

It is highly unlikely the Jazz will give Harris and a 1st rounder; a more reasonable trade scenario is Harris+2nd rounder for Calderon, and I'm not sure I like it...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If they give up a good pick it's worth it. Harris isn't going to help the team, but at least he can be gotten rid of in another year.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see that quote where Jose asks to be traded to a contender. As far as I can remember people seemed to have a tough time comprehending shit, rather than forgetting what Jose didn't say.
    Last edited by nubreed000; Sun Mar 4th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Thread Information